This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Edward Snowden

Comments

• He should be welcomed back, and probably be given a medal.
  • Rym said:

He should be welcomed back, and probably be given a medal.

What is the general opinion of him in the country, I realise it varies dramatically from region to region.
  • I think he should be brought back, tried and have his sentence commuted or something along that line.
  • He should be tried, pardoned, given a real oversight position over the agencies he was involved with.

Who am I kidding?
  • Traitor. He should be clawed to death by bald eagles.
  • So you're saying he's like Prometheus, except instead of fire he brought the gift of government spying?
  • The only reason he's in Russia now is that his passport was revoked while he was on a layover in Moscow on his way to Ecuador (and eventually heading to Cuba). It's ironic that so many people think he's working for the Russians because he's living there when he never had any intention of staying permanently in Russia.
  • Even if the majority of Americans think he shouldn't be punished, I suspect our politicians would need to see him tried, convicted, and sentenced in order to protect their collective asses.
  • edited March 2015
    Or he can just...not move back...

Seriously, coming back here is just willfully signing his death warrant.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited March 2015
    Best part of the Snowden IAMA

Post edited by no fun girl on
  • NSA is looking at nude photos now.

Wow. They've gotten desperate.
  • They always looked at nudes, let's not delude ourselves. We just care about it more now for some reason.
  • If you haven't seen the John Oliver segment with Edward Snowden, watch when you next have 30 minutes spare.

Then read this really good essay that wraps up everything that I thought was brilliant about it so I don't have to write it here myself.
  • If you haven't seen the John Oliver segment with Edward Snowden, watch when you next have 30 minutes spare.

Then read this really good essay that wraps up everything that I thought was brilliant about it so I don't have to write it here myself.

That was an amazing post about the interview. I really liked how it went into the techniques Oliver used to frame the story/issue.
  • I had totally forgotten that Snowden had handed all the documents to journalists, I only now know how technologically illiterate (the majority) of journalists are by having finished half a journalism degree as an aside to my current study. Their understanding of technology is also completely counter-intuitive, even the professors argue that all data on the Internet is fleeting and lost within seconds when it is one of the only places where information doesn't die. (i.e. your dick pic will outlive you vs. the dick pic will only be present for a few seconds).

How do you communicate all this to the greater American audience and hopefully enact change like shutting doing Section 215? Especially when Bieber will likely be up to some sort of hi-jinx.

The quicker the US stops this inside their borders, the quicker an Australian politician will reverse course on metadata collection.
  • I would not have appreciated the interview on the level I did without that essay. I'm geeking out about how clever the techniques John Oliver used were and how easy it was to not notice them!
  • I would not have appreciated the interview on the level I did without that essay. I'm geeking out about how clever the techniques John Oliver used were and how easy it was to not notice them!
    I noticed them, and got annoyed with Juliane as she kept saying the Times Square people were stupid. I had to point out the entire bit was that Americans aren't stupid, but that the media are terrible at educating them. And that is, of course, what the whole thing was about by the end.
  • The sad thing from my perspective is that most people I know know who Snowden is, and know that their data is being collected and parsed, but don't care at all. The attitude is "always has been, always will be, they don't care about me anyways". Apathy is just as much of a danger as ignorance.
  • Ilmarinen said:

The sad thing from my perspective is that most people I know know who Snowden is, and know that their data is being collected and parsed, but don't care at all.

I watched a speech the other night by Glen Greenwald, one of the reporters Snowden provided the data to. He focused on a couple of issues that I thought were very important, namely why should we care and the distinction between privacy of a private citizen and public/open actions of the government.

On the first point he used the example that even if you are a law-abiding citizen with "nothing to hide" in the way of illegal activity, we still (rightly so) desire privacy and the ability to choose who we share various pieces of information with. Things we tell or don't tell to our doctor, therapist, friend, spouse, employer, etc... Even if you have nothing to hide of an illegal nature you still (rightly) use passwords on your social media, email, banking accounts and will not provide them to someone easily.

The second point follows, which is that the right of a private citizen is to be allowed to conduct their affairs in the privacy they desire and that the government and its officials should largely conduct its business in public and be open to public inspection and scrutiny. The more these two situations are reversed the closer our situation is to a tyrannical society than a free society.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2331830-155/utah-data-center-has-ominous-role?fullpage=1

• sK0pe said:

I had totally forgotten that Snowden had handed all the documents to journalists, I only now know how technologically illiterate (the majority) of journalists are by having finished half a journalism degree as an aside to my current study. Their understanding of technology is also completely counter-intuitive, even the professors argue that all data on the Internet is fleeting and lost within seconds when it is one of the only places where information doesn't die. (i.e. your dick pic will outlive you vs. the dick pic will only be present for a few seconds).

Some of them at least brought in technological experts like Bruce Schneier to review the documents. Schneier may not be one of the original people Snowden gave the documents to, but he does have them and has reviewed/is reviewing them.

• Whenever I hear people say "they don't care about me anyway" I think of the woman who was looking for a new pressure cooker online and at the same time her kid happened to need a new backpack. This wasn't that long after the Boston Bombing, so some "do gooder" co-worker or sysadmin noticed and called the cops on her. Just because you aren't doing anything wrong doesn't mean they can't make a case against you.
  • edited April 2015

Just because you aren't doing anything wrong doesn't mean they can't make a case against you.

Exactly... and we're not even going into some of the crap that went down with McCarthyism, J. Edgar Hoover's running of the FBI, etc...
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • So I finally watched the episode, and my main takeaway is that I find Snowden attractive. Not "now questioning my sexuality" attractive, but still...

What I'm trying to say is I'd totally let Snowden monitor my dick pic.
  • You wouldn't mind being snowed in with Snowden?
  • You'll let him Snow your Den?
  • You're reply to his Craigslist post for "NSA M4M Fun?" Or are you afraid of Russian into things?
  • Over 15,000 websites have blocked Congress' IPs from accessing them. They've been redirected here instead.
  • edited May 2015
    I looked at the list of sites, and most of them are wordpress :-p Will be a story when Google and Yahoo and Microsoft all do it :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Aaaand FREEDOM makes it past the Senate.