This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• 4 job interviews in the past month.
    Two local, two in Brooklyn.
  • Early birthday present from Jeremy!

• I'm pretty sure I slam-dunked an interview and demo lesson today for a position at a local charter school that might pay 33% more than my current job, require less paperwork, and is 15 minutes closer.
  • Juliane wanted a new laptop, but after chatting we decided to just order a 512GB SSD to replace the 256GB HD, along with doubling the RAM to 8GB. A 5 year old MacBook Pro now feels as good as new!

To do the clean install I needed a thumb drive or hard drive that could be wiped clean and become a boot disk. I looked around to find one, and then I remembered happened on Thursday evening. I went along to a presentation by Vincent Laforet for his high altitude cityscape photography project.

There was a prize draw after his main talk, and the prizes were four photo prints and a ruggedized 1TB hard drive. One of the people whose name had been drawn hadn't stuck around, so Vincent said "Upgrade the person who won the hard drive to a print, and then we'll do a trivia question to decide who gets it."

At this point I felt great, because with prize draws I know I'm probably not going to win, but with unexpected trivia questions, I know I'm probably going to win. Vincent's question was "What is the name of the condition when you fly too high without oxygen?"

I shouted out "Apoxia!" and while he wanted to hear "Hypoxia" it was close enough that I won anyway.
  • Boo-Yah #1: Completely retooled my resume, professionally read for upcoming job opportunity.

Boo-Yah #2: Came to grips with a flaw I have and buried the hatchet with a friend of mine. We understand each other from both sides and things are good now.
  • Grats! Is it the one you slam dunked above?
  • We got selectable colours on the spaceships working Freefall. So we immediately made a pink spaceship.

• Dromaro said:

Grats! Is it the one you slam dunked above?

Yep!

• New jorb.

Not just any new job, a great new job. Way to go, my beloved!

• However, I now feel a bit dirty. I'm not used to making money from money. Normally I do work or provide services.

That was a really nice thing to do for her, if it really makes you feel bad you could give her the difference, give it to charity or buys some really nice gifts for your family.
  • I recently purchased a 1975 Volvo TGB 1111 in Denmark, here it is being loaded on it's first step to becoming a US truck. It takes 28 days for the ship to make it to Tacoma (the nearest major port to me now that Portland can't handle commercial ship traffic from Europe). Now I wait. I'm pretty excited. I've wanted one for a long time.

• That is amazing.

I assume you'll have to put a derp bumper on it to be street legal?
  • I recently acquired a "Macross: Do You Remember Love" LP, and it sounds amazing. When I get to digitize it, I will post a torrent of its FLAC.
  • AaronC said:

I recently purchased a 1975 Volvo TGB 1111 in Denmark, here it is being loaded on it's first step to becoming a US truck. It takes 28 days for the ship to make it to Tacoma (the nearest major port to me now that Portland can't handle commercial ship traffic from Europe). Now I wait. I'm pretty excited. I've wanted one for a long time.

Congrats, you are living my dads dream.
  • Rym said:

That is amazing.

Nope. It's already street legal in the US because it's older than 25 years. There are boxes on the front and back that hold the telescoping braces, from when it was a missile launcher, those are going to come off, but only because they dig into the ground when doing more extreme offloading.

• AaronC said:

Rym said:

That is amazing.

Nope. It's already street legal in the US because it's older than 25 years. There are boxes on the front and back that hold the telescoping braces, from when it was a missile launcher, those are going to come off, but only because they dig into the ground when doing more extreme offloading.
    But keep them in the garage, just in case someone puts a RBS 70 on ebay. You never know.
  • Hah hah, yeah, you never know.
  • It took 7 years, which I'm not exactly proud of, but I finally graduated from UMASS and have a for real degree. This is a chapter I'm glad I can get to close now.
  • Jordan O. said:

It took 7 years, which I'm not exactly proud of, but I finally graduated from UMASS and have a for real degree. This is a chapter I'm glad I can get to close now.

It took me until I was 27 to even work up the courage to go back for my degree. It's never too late, or too long, to get a degree.
  • So this happened:

Peter Mayhew is just such a genuinely nice guy, who just incidentally happens to be famous for playing one of the best movie characters of all time. :)
  • I am on the cusp of getting a flat in King's Langley which is just outside of London. It's just for work during the week, the idea is that I'll be travelling back to Birmingham on the weekends. But it opens up some opportunity to be in London on the weeknights and the occasional weekend.
  • It's just for work during the week, the idea is that I'll be travelling back to Birmingham on the weekends.

My sympathies.

• edited July 2015
    I am currently interviewing a Polish Cartoonist who got to attend the 2015 Annecy International Animated Film Festival. He detailed how fun the festival was, taking pictures and leaving full reviews for the five films he watched. I get to promote him and write a fantastic article about his experiences on my Animation Blog. This has earned a lot of brownie points with my boss for the website since it takes one problem off of his massive plate. This article is going to be great and the dude I'm interviewing is really kind and cool.

I also think I've overcome the hump of applying for jobs that I may not feel qualified for. Yesterday I was horribly anxious, I woke up with my head spinning. Yet after I bid for a job for this State Contracting website, a switch went off in my brain. After dealing with a incredibly complex and convoluted system like that, I am not intimidated by job listings anymore. I am not afraid of commitments to big contracts. I can do so much without feeling this terrible guilt of not applying myself enough. I wish I had this revelation a year ago, but I'm glad it has finally taken root.

EDIT: The news gets even better on the creative front. The artist for the website has totally surprised me and created a logo for my Animation blog. He even has special borders created for my collaborated articles with the films reviewed from Annecy. This is phenomenal for me and really validates what I've been doing for the website. So much thanks to OneOfUs.Net for everything.

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Working out on a regular basis has really paid off. I've gone from needing 20mg, then down 10mg, then 5mg, and now no meds at all and my BP is 118/74. All in 3 months. ^_^

All the games I've written, though not necessarily published, over the last year. Feelin' p good about it, no lie.
  • Unbelievable Macho Bullshit is my favorite title.