This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Yeah, just like the NFC Championship last year? Oh wait.

I'm not denying the refs missed a call. It's a penalty that most people have never heard of. It's unfortunate and it's annoying that the no call is taking away the awesome play by Kam and the defense.

I feel that if this was any other team like the darlings of the league Packers, people would be singing a different tune.

Either way, whatever. Haters can eat a dick like yourself.
  • Rochelle said:

It's a penalty that most people have never heard of.

Every single ref needs to know every single rule. Are these guys like QBs, there just aren't enough good ones to go around?
  • Starfox said:

Rochelle said:

It's a penalty that most people have never heard of.

Every single ref needs to know every single rule. Are these guys like QBs, there just aren't enough good ones to go around?
    Yes. Also, even if you are a good ref, it's impossible to see everything. How many times even watching at home does something look like a catch from one angle and not a catch from another angle?

Put out even more cameras, you can afford it. Have every single little thing on every play be fully reviewed in real-time. Have computers do most, if not all, of the work. We have the technology. Just do it. You shouldn't even be able to get away with holding.
  • I know even the best ref is not perfect, but
  • This particular case wasn't an issue if not seeing it, but not knowing the rules. The problem here is time. Everyone would have to stand around and wait for a human to look up the rule in the book, and that just isn't acceptable.

For any sufficiently complex game, like football, it is impossible for a human who isn't some freakish genius to perfectly memorize all the rules. I've seen many RPG designers look up rules in the books that they themselves wrote while GMing.

A computer would just "know" the rule and pass judgement instantly.
  • Sure, in the abstract. Some universal football refereeing machine can get 100% calls right 100% of the time.

But in this particular case, well, the Holy Roller. There aren't that many named plays in NFL history. I'm not even a ref, and I immediately questioned if that was legal.
  • If I can eat a dick for wanting accurate and reliable officiating from NFL refs? Bring on the wheel barrel.

Getting a ticky tack thing like P.A. that's up to judgment is one thing. That will even out over time. The types of things the Seahawks seem to get up to are more than that. Forgetting or just flat not knowing the rules in your favor over and over is fluky luck.

Oh, and mentioning a game I know we blew? Hurtful (/sacrasm)

I'll be forever some amount of salty about the Fail Mary but in instances where the Packers get outplayed? I'll be annoyed, but I'll never hold salt because we fucked up. Comparing a game the Packers lost legitimately to a game the refs in very large part handed to you is no form of equivalence.
  • Modern football is pushing recently into edge cases more frequently. In the past when that's happened, rules and officiating changes eventually caught up and clarified.

Will this be the era of edge cases?
  • Rym said:

Modern football is pushing recently into edge cases more frequently. In the past when that's happened, rules and officiating changes eventually caught up and clarified.

Will this be the era of edge cases?

The edge cases were always there, but without high frame rate HD video from multiple angles nobody ever saw them. It's like one of those diseases that always existed, but doctors were only recently able to diagnose properly.

The main problem we have is that there are situations where someone sitting at home watching TV can do a better job of getting the right call than a ref watching the game in person.

There is one idea that nobody has proposed. It's very simple and relatively low cost and low tech. It should also be extremely effective at fixing problems like this.

Have one extra ref for every game. More is better, but one is probably enough.

Where is this ref? This ref is in the television trailer at the stadium. They sit with the TV producer and can see all the angles. If at any time they feel there is something questionable or that needs reviewing for any reason whatsoever, they can instantly connect to the on-the-field ref to let them know to get things as correct as possible.

Is that the perfect technological solution? No, no it is not. There will still be things that are wrong. But when they are wrong, nobody will know. There will never be a situation where spectators at home get something right that the refs get wrong because one of the refs is a TV spectator themselves.

Simple as that.
  • edited October 2015
    If the G-Men win tonight, this is looking like a good week. Also, what does the RedZone do when he as to pee?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, TIL that RedZone Scott Hanson, who I used to think was way awesome, is a super jesus freak.
  • Seahawks Derrick Coleman leaves scene of accident after he rear ends another vehicle. Has possible concussion. Seahawks have suspended him indefinitely.
  • This was the formation on the @Colts 4th-down play. They did not convert. #NEvsIND image

— NFL (@NFL) October 19, 2015

W.
    T.
    F.
  • It's called the Swinging Gate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinging_gate_(American_football)

The only time I've seen it used in the NFL was this:

Here's a good example of it being used effectively in college football with explanations.

• That Redskins play was amazing.
  • Apparently someone made an oil painting of Washington attempting the swinging gate.

• I couldn't stop laughing with my dad when the Colts lined up in that formation. It was a gift from the football gods.
  • I finally saw a video of the Colts play. I didn't know anything could have been worse than the Redskin's play, but it managed it somehow. A two man press got the easiest sack ever. In fact, it's almost unfair to count that in the sack stats.
  • These plays are still a good thing. Every time stupid people ask for NFL teams to use trick plays we have some easy examples to show of how they don't work when the other team isn't a bunch of inexperienced college kids.

The silliest part of this is that these plays were attempted against the Giants and Patriots. Historically these are the two best-coached teams. Try it against the Jags first. Seriously.
  • Apreche said:

These plays are still a good thing. Every time stupid people ask for NFL teams to use trick plays we have some easy examples to show of how they don't work when the other team isn't a bunch of inexperienced college kids.

The silliest part of this is that these plays were attempted against the Giants and Patriots. Historically these are the two best-coached teams. Try it against the Jags first. Seriously.

I was talking about this with one of my buddies. If you expect any team to sniff out your formation shenanigans, it's the cheaters, right?
  • In modern football, any "trick play" that has an actual useful chance of working is going to skirt the furthest edges of the rules if it's even possible...

...and cause a rules change.
  • To be fair, straight-up trick punts work occasionally. Dude just runs for a first.

On the other hand, the Pats whip out intentionally-deceptive formations in the playoffs, and the rules are changed for the next season.
  • Starfox said:

To be fair, straight-up trick punts work occasionally. Dude just runs for a first.

On the other hand, the Pats whip out intentionally-deceptive formations in the playoffs, and the rules are changed for the next season.

The Patriots deceptive formations weren't trick plays the way a swinging gate or a statue of liberty are trick plays. They simply shifted players around so it wasn't immediately obvious to the defense which players were eligible receivers. Since the defense doesn't know who to cover, they just throw to the undefended receiver with a normal passing play, and get some yards.
  • Didn't they throw to a lineman? That's sort of tricksy. I guess my point was Belichick kept that one in his back pocket until he really needed it.

• When they say "any given Sunday" this is the Sunday they are talking about.
  • Apreche said:

When they say "any given Sunday" this is the Sunday they are talking about.

Panthers rolling. Patriots? Got to pull this one out. Bengals? Oh, Monday.
  • Broncos go down. Packers go down Bears win big. Washington wins big. Insanity.