This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

edited August 2008 in Art!
Hip-hop music can be really awesome, but a lot of people are uninformed of how awesome it can be. Rym's last thing of the day, in my opinion, was super lame. He specifically noted that he likes the beat used in it, a beat that is repetitive and really annoying, I think. The only hip-hop artists who have made an 808-like beat interesting are the Cool Kids and that's because they innovate with it in a half-parody, half-homage way. And as far as the gangster style rapping in the JMV, Girl Talk is the only artist I've heard pull it off without sounding ridiculous because his beats are more than "tick tick snare tick tick tick snare," and you need a great beat when your rap is about your fucking kicks and gold.

Anyway, enough of me ragging on Rym's taste. Let's talk about awesome hip-hop. For starters, there's the two previously mentioned, Cannibal Ox, J Dilla, M.I.A., Madvillain, MF DOOM, Quasimoto, and many more. That's all newer stuff, though. Classics, like A Tribe Called Quest, are great, too.

Comments

• Rym likes Dirty South music. :) No worries.

Souls of Mischief is nice if you like older stuff.
  • Souls of Mischief is nice if you like older stuff.
    '93 was a good year for alternative hip-hop.
  • [A] beat that is repetitive and really annoying
    Dude, you do realize you are talking about hip-hop, right?
    Let's talk about awesome hip-hop.
    Impossible. Hip-hop is inherently bad, hence it can never be awesome. I have yet to hear any hip-hop that is better than any other hip-hop I've heard in my life. And somehow every single hip-hop song I've heard sounds worse than every other single hip-hop song I have ever heard.
  • edited August 2008
    [A] beat that is repetitive and really annoying
    Dude, you do realize you are talking about hip-hop, right?
    Let's talk about awesome hip-hop.
    Impossible. Hip-hop is inherently bad, hence it can never be awesome. I have yet to hear any hip-hop that is better than any other hip-hop I've heard in my life. And somehow every single hip-hop song I've heard sounds worse than every other single hip-hop song I have ever heard.
    You're dumb.

Edit: You like anime, right? And you hate it when people write it off as childish, right? Well, you're being one of those people by writing off hip-hip. Listen to some of the songs in the OP.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited August 2008
    From my favorite album by my favorite rapper, 3030.

From my other favorite rapper, It's Pitch Dark. A song about old Infocom text adventures.

And from my third favorite rapper, The Beat That My Heart Skipped.

Also, Lady Sovereign is pretty cool.

And you better not fuck with the Wu-Tang Clan

Post edited by Walker on
  • Also Lady Sovereign is pretty cool.
    No.
    Wu-Tang Clan
    Yes.

Lady Sovereign sounds like a shitty version of MIA.
  • edited August 2008
    Does Nujabes count as hiphop? Most of you will know him for the Samurai Chlampoo opening but Modal Soul is a really good album.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited August 2008
    Edit: You like anime, right?
    I do.
    And you hate it when people write it off as childish, right?
    That's Scott. I have never told my stance on the issue. n.~
    Well, you're being one of those people by writing off hip-hip.
    Not at all. You see, I have tried various hip-hop artists and groups. Sure, at first they were okay, but then I stopped listening since it really is all crap compared to almost every other genre in music there is.
    Listen to some of the songs in the OP.
    I was planning to, but seeing as OP insults people before writing actual useful content, I doubt the songs picked are worth listening to. But I feel kind, so to humour you I'll listen to them.

EDIT:
    Edit: You like anime, right? And you hate it when people write it off as childish, right? Well, you're being one of those people by writing off hip-hip.
    Also, writing off a genre is something completely different from writing off a medium. And to inform you, currently listening to the linked Cannibal Ox vid. 2:17, closing the tab, shortest thus far. They are all crap thus far.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Hip-hop is as much of a medium as anime.
    edited August 2008
    Hip-hop is as much of a medium as anime.
    . . .
    It's a music genre. Music is a medium. Or should I take that sentence the other way, i.e. you claiming anime is not a medium but a genre?

Either way, I listened to all of the videos you supplied. Other than the dolls, the comic strip, and the slightly jazzy trumpet background music, there was nothing interesting. Slow, boring, repetitive hip-hop as is the defining characteristic of hip-hop.

EDIT: Though enjoy your hip-hop, I'm going to listen to some singing.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It's a music genre. Music is a medium. Or should I take that sentence the other way, i.e. you claiming anime is not a medium but a genre?
    What I'm saying is that hip-hop is so vastly different than other styles of music and contains so many subgenres that one style of hip-hop is as different from another as Cowboy Bebop is from Azumanga Daioh. I think you're setting out to dislike hip-hop just because it's cool to not like hip-hop.
  • edited August 2008
    Aussie hip hop tends to be better, in my opinion, than American hip hop.

I present to you, the hilltop hoods

Clown Prince:

Hard Road

Nosebleed Section

Another good group goes by the name of "Butterfingers", and they lean towards a more laid-back, comedic style that seems to be common to Queensland Rappers, as opposed to Rappers from the more southerly states, who tend to have a more serious style.
    Figjam

Your Mama

Jesus I was Evil

Lastly a pair of lads I've just discovered via Youtube

Post edited by Churba on
  • Speaking of Australian hip-hop...

• What I'm saying is that hip-hop is so vastly different than other styles of music and contains so many subgenres that one style of hip-hop is as different from another as Cowboy Bebop is from Azumanga Daioh.
    And hip-hop is the only genre that has a ton of subgenres. Also, note how horrible you are exaggerating.
    I think you're setting out to dislike hip-hop just because it's cool to not like hip-hop.
    Not at all. First off, those "You just don't like x because it's cool to not like x" arguments are really pathetic and do nothing for your argument other than informing others that you are currently BAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW'ing. Secondly, I already told that I listened to hip-hop, with some joy, years ago, but have since grown out of it. Really, don't be a crybaby because someone does not like the music genre you like, even after they tried said genre again upon your recommendation in the hopes that there is actually some decent hip-hop out there. I no longer like hip-hop, get over it. It's not like that will destroy your world.
  • edited August 2008
    For hip hop my favorites are Cypress Hill, Wu-Tang Clan(ODB, Meth, and Ghostface are my favorite rappers in the group, but RZA is a fucking genius producer), Big L, Immortal Technique, and DZK.

Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • edited August 2008
    Really, don't be a crybaby because someone does not like the music genre you like
    You got me. My eyes are red from crying, believe me.
  • Imaginary Places by Busdriver

The Bay by Zion I
  • I already told that I listened to hip-hop, with some joy, years ago, but have since grown out of it.
    Yeah, same here. I used to listen to a lot of rap back in 6th-7th grade or so. Started growing out of it around 8th grade.

Anyways, nowadays the closest stuff to hip hop that I listen to is the Samurai Champloo OST and Glamour for better (and they're really not hip hop).

As for that whole medium vs. genre debate. Hip hop/rap is definitely a genre within the music medium. Sure it has subgenres, but that doesn't make it a medium. With that mentality, you could call metal, techno, and rock all separate mediums, which is borderline retarded if you ask me.
  • edited August 2008
    I already told that I listened to hip-hop, with some joy, years ago, but have since grown out of it.
    Yeah, same here. I used to listen to a lot of rap back in 6th-7th grade or so. Started growing out of it around 8th grade.
    I went through the exact same thing, but in reverse.
    EDIT: Just listened to Rym's ToTD. The guy has mediocre flow and no lyricism. The beat really is the only part of the song that could be possible be called good.
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • edited August 2008
    I went through the exact same thing, but in reverse.
    Same here. I only really started listening to rap music when Thom Yorke talked about how much he loved Madvillainy in an interview for NPR. I picked it up soon after, and Madvillainy is still my favorite hip-hop record.
  • I really like Del tha Funkee Homosapien and all of his stuff, especially Deltron 3030. I also enjoy me some 2Pac and Wu-Tang and Wu-Tang related projects. I know more good rap and hip-hop exists that I would like, but I'm just not really into it all that much.
  • I don't listen too much hip-hop but I found that I like classics more than this newer ganster-rap crap (or are you guys distinguishing between them). Anyways, groups I like: Optimus Rhyme, Beefy, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, A tribe called quest, Public Enemy, Naughty by Nature and probably Del but I haven't heard much outside of Gorillaz, a Tony Hawk game and what Dave Riley put at the end of the anime music episode.
  • Not to sound to pretentious but I prefer Hip-Hop without the rap. I do like some rapping but not when it's ever single song on the album. So I when I do listen to hip-hop it's mostly DJ hip-hop artists stuff. Dj Shadow is great and RJD2 is also really great to listen to. Trip-hop is great to chill out to but I don't know if that fits under the hip-hop banner.
  • Not to sound to pretentious but I prefer Hip-Hop without the rap. I do like some rapping but not when it's ever single song on the album. So I when I do listen to hip-hop it's mostly DJ hip-hop artists stuff. Dj Shadow is great and RJD2 is also really great to listen to.
    You should pick up Donuts by J Dilla.
  • Listening to the first track "Workinonit." I dig it. :)
  • I don't listen too much hip-hop but I found that I like classics more than this newer ganster-rap crap (or are you guys distinguishing between them). Anyways, groups I like: Optimus Rhyme, Beefy, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, A tribe called quest, Public Enemy, Naughty by Nature and probably Del but I haven't heard much outside of Gorillaz, a Tony Hawk game and what Dave Riley put at the end of the anime music episode.
    You should definitely check out Del's album Deltron 3030. Not only is it some of Del's best, but it was produced by the same person who did the first Gorillaz album.
  • Awesome thread. Hip Hop is where it's at! here is my contribution from Finland; The Don Johnson Big Band:
  • especially Deltron 3030
    Damn you!!!! You took my Deltron!
    I don't care for most of the mainstream crap, I like the kinda stuff the Deltron 3030 kind of stuff, recommendations?
  • especially Deltron 3030
    Damn you!!!! You took my Deltron!
    I don't care for most of the mainstream crap, I like the kinda stuff the Deltron 3030 kind of stuff, recommendations?
    The Cool Kids, Girl Talk, Cannibal Ox, J Dilla, M.I.A., Madvillain, MF DOOM, Quasimoto
  • Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Beastie boys. They kick ass.