This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Important: Ignore the troll

edited August 2008 in Forum Stuff
We currently have a troll called "Jen" operating in the forums and both admins are away at a convention. Please ignore all posts posted by the troll and refer to the troll as "the troll" in the place of words like "him", "her" or "it".
Now all we do is wait until the troll leaves of their own accord, miraculously decides to change their attitude and follow the rules or just wait until the admins return and court martial and subsequently ban the troll.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comments

• Where's Andrew? Can't Andrew ban the troll?
  • edited August 2008
    Andrew is a moderator, I suspect he can only edit posts and not ban users. He could go through and edit all the trolls posts with a banner saying they are a troll though.

Afterthought: I think we should repurpose the Scott* x Haruhi picture for the display pic of anyone who gets banned for trolling.
    *Still not 100% sure which is which.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Looks like a new tag was added. I wonder if Scott is doing this from his iPhone.
  • One more troll to add to the wall of shame. "Jen" is the new "Ichigo."
  • One more troll to add to the wall of shame. "Jen" is the new "Ichigo."
    I say more Flamming Geek.
  • Honestly, I think Jen is serious in all of her claims. She at least writes with correct grammar. I'm not looking to become a thought police officer and recommend banning people we don't agree with ideologically. As long as she writes coherently and tries to back her shit up, I think she can stay.

Besides, you people could brush up on your writing skills anyways. Write up counter arguments and show why she is wrong.
  • edited August 2008
    Does correct grammar save a person from being a troll? Even if it did, I don't think Jen's grammar is anything to be highly esteemed. It is average at best.

As far as your concerns about being a thought police officer go, I don't believe anyone wants her banned simply because she professes a different ideology. The manner in which she professes her ideology makes it apparent that her main goal is to pick a fight. That's why she should be banned.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The manner in which she professes her ideology makes it apparent that her main goal is to pick a fight. That's why she should be banned.
    Perhaps, but that is a decision left up to Rym and Scott.
  • edited August 2008
    I find "it" annoying, and I'm on probation.
    Edit: I don't think "its" a girl, probably some lonely transvestite nerd.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • The manner in which she professes her ideology makes it apparent that her main goal is to pick a fight. That's why she should be banned.
    Perhaps, but that is a decision left up to Rym and Scott.
    Personally, while I don't dispute that she's troll to the max, it's kind of refreshing to see someone go against our standards. Just because she's just in it to be a shit disturber doesn't mean that her methods of disturbing the shit should be dismissed as juvenile. As Andrew said, as long as she can back up her claims and cite sources, I don't see why she needs the banhammer just yet.
  • edited August 2008
    What troll? I don't know what you're talking about, there isn't a troll problem here.

Or at least I was going attempt that comedy but this comment serves a purpose.

She is not making outright trollish comments, as I did, because of her citing of information. Her responses, however, are a bit funky. They sound like the responses given by a person who is entirely new to the internet. And, as big as GeekNights is, I don't see how this could be the first place a person new to the internet would arrive at.

I see this as a 'one lie breaks the story' situation (I don't know if there is a name for this type of situation). I'd say she's a class B troll.

@Morio-Kun: I was there once. I feel as if you shouldn't be on probation though because you've been around longer than me(it's 'me' right?).
    Post edited by Magnum_Opus on
  • (it's 'me' right?).
    No, it's 'I', because you're shortening "longer than I have" to "longer than I".
  • I'm not going to ban the troll for the aforementioned thought police reasons. Even if some crazed neo-nazis come into the forum, I'm not going to ban them as long as they have adequate grammar and spelling, and aren't spammers. If you want the troll to go away, I suggest not replying to them. Pretend they aren't there. In other words, don't feed them. If you think the FRC Forum is better than the other forums on the Internet, prove it. Show me you are mature enough to completely ignore the trolls.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I want to keep trolls around because their posts are so hilarious! I won't reply to them, but I will read their posts for the entertainment value.
  • Is posting pictures of missiles in the troll's thread considered "feeding it"?
  • (it's 'me' right?).
    No, it's 'I', because you're shortening "longer than I have" to "longer than I".
    Okay, I couldn't tell whether it was the object or subject of the verb.
  • Why did you even make this thread?
  • Why did you even make this thread?
    Some people just don't see the humor in faux homophobia and racism.
  • Do trolls eat surface to air missiles?

I think it's hilarious, and we should keep it for a little while.
  • I'm not going to ban the troll for the aforementioned thought police reasons.
    This is not a case of "thought policing" the forum. I think this pull-quote proves my point:
    Again, with personal attacks. I have no problems with homosexuals. I've actually heard they are quite polite. For example, at their gay bars they are always asking if they can push your stool in. People can choose to be homosexual, even if it means living a lifestyle of death, it's a free country and I can respect that. As for my proof, why should I bother? Any source I post will not be accepted by close-minded individuals. If you really want the real truth, just use Yahoo and see for yourself. Or better yet, just wait and see – this will be out in the open sooner or later.
    Based on her posts in the political threads over the weekend, Jen is a conspiracy theorist nut troll who thrives on making ridiculous statements -- "Obama is a murderer" -- and then ignoring demands to provide evidence. Instead, the troll merely says the evidence is "out there" in a shallow parroting of Spooky Mulder. Then it has the audacity to make tasteless homophobic slurs. This person should no longer have the privilege of posting.

The prosecution rests.
  • Do trolls eat surface to air missiles?

I think it's hilarious, and we should keep it for a little while.
    I think we can really start something big here.

The universal response to a troll in any medium shall be pictures of rocket artillery and other missiles.
  • I disliked her the minute I read the beginning of her brain statement.
  • I disliked her the minute she called video games and anime crap and told me to take a B...
    B...
    Bible....

HERESEY! THIS SHALL NOT STAND! SOLDER HER TO A GIANT NES CONTROLLER! TIE HER TO PENTIUM 4 HEAT SINKS WITH CAT5 CABLE! I DEMAND RESTITUTION FOR HER DISRESPECT TOWARDS VIDEO GAMES AND ALL THINGS GEEK!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Question: What could possibly attract it/she to GeekNights? It/she absolutely has to be playing a part, because the character we're seeing here doesn't seem like the GeekNights-listening sort of person--Especially after calling videogames/anime crap.
  • they are always asking if they can push your stool in.
    I cannot express in words how much I laughed. I think I may have woken up some of my family members.
  • it/she.
    This bothers me. I know quite a few funny, female trolls. If Jen signed up with a name like Bill, you'd all be saying "he." Why can't girls troll too?
  • I disliked her the minute she called video games and anime crap and told me to take a B...
    B...
    Bible....
    When was this?
    B...
    Bible....
    When was this?
    In Sonic's thread about moving.
  • If anyone doesn't like the lack of bannage regarding this troll, just remember that this is clearly a summer troll. A summer troll being, a punk kid who is able to flame because this is the summer, and they have nothing good to do because they are out of school. The forum's posts will return to their usual "intelligence" levels in September, when the kiddie has to go back to class (which, if it helps comfort you, they hate, since they have no social skills).
  • a punk kid who is able to flame because this is the summer, and they have nothing good to do because they are out of school. The forum's posts will return to their usual "intelligence" levels in September, when the kiddie has to go back to class
    You don't seem to understand what a troll does. A troll doesn't flame anyone, but provokes other users to flame him/her. A good troll will post properly, but all of his/her posts will be absolutely ridiculous. The point is to get other people to respond unintelligently.
  • edited August 2008
    I've been paying exactly zero attention to Jen's posts. It's obviously a troll, it obviously wants attention, and it's probably only doing it because it found Geeknights at the con and fancies itself clever. Just ignore it, it'll go away or do something phenomenally stupid and get itself banned.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on