This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boom sticks, firearms, guns, and/or weapons discussions

I currently have a Browning light 12 hump back and Marlin Glenfield model 25 .22LR. What guns have you guys and gals got?

EDIT: The first page and half is a flame war. Skip to page 2.

Comments

• One day, if I can find the damn thing, I'll take a picture of my grandfather's old WWI rifle. It's a beautiful firearm. Also, it weighs a metric ton.
  • I used to have a Mosin Nagant M44, but I sold it to my friend. I also have some parts that will one day be a AR15.
  • I believe in the right to bear arms, but choose not to.
  • I don't believe in the right to arm bears, but I'm trying to.
  • I don't have any pictures of them but I have a S&W model 66 .356 magnum, a 12 gauge and a Ruger 10/22 I've wanted a 1911 for a while now but since I'm going to be in Japan soon I can't justify buying one.
  • I have no desire to ever own a gun, fire a gun, or even touch a gun. Keep that shit away from me.
  • edited June 2011
    I have no desire to ever own a gun, fire a gun, or even touch a gun. Keep that shit away from me.
    Fear of even touching a gun, firing one, or even knowing proper gun safety is very bad. I believe that everyone should handle a gun and fire one at some point in their lives. Ignorance of firearms is dangerous.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Fear of even touching a gun, firing one, or even knowing proper gun safety is very bad.
    Agreed. Think of how many houses have burned down because their occupants were afraid of fire (e.g. dropped a match, panicked because of an oven fire).
  • edited June 2011
    I have no desire to ever own a gun, fire a gun, or even touch a gun. Keep that shit away from me.
    I agree with you. I have had firearm saftey training, I was in boy scouts. I rather dislike guns that are not digital, paintball or fire potatos.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I have no desire to ever own a gun, fire a gun, or even touch a gun. Keep that shit away from me.
    Fear of even touching a gun, firing one, or even knowing proper gun safety is very bad. I believe that everyone should handle a gun and fire one at some point in their lives. Ignorance of firearms is dangerous.
    Exactly. Because the day might come that you find yourself in the middle of a gang war and your only recourse will be to pick up a gun from the corpse of a fallen Crip, and BY GOD if you don't know how to use it, you'll end up holding it backward and shooting yourself in the chest.
  • Exactly. Because the day might come that you find yourself in the middle of a gang war and your only recourse will be to pick up a gun from the corpse of a fallen Crip, and BY GOD if you don't know how to use it, you'll end up holding it backward and shooting yourself in the chest.
    Ignoring your sarcastic hyperbole, it's just important that people have an informed experience with firearms. Too many people espouse beliefs or opinions on firearms without truly knowing the issue they are discussing. An irrational fear of guns helps no-one.
  • edited June 2011
    Exactly. Because the day might come that you find yourself in the middle of a gang war and your only recourse will be to pick up a gun from the corpse of a fallen Crip, and BY GOD if you don't know how to use it, you'll end up holding it backward and shooting yourself in the chest.
    No. But the day comes when some fucking kid is playing around outside your house with the gun he found in daddy's office, or one has been abandoned in the street and you have to do the responsible thing and hold onto it until the cops arrive, or you otherwise come into contact with one, knowing how to turn on the safety, how to check that it's empty, how to hold it and turn it over to another person without harming them, those are all important skills people often gloss right over so you don't end up hurting yourself and others.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • To be fair Sail never said he was afraid of guns. And we do not know if he has had any firearm saftey classes. He just expressed a healthy dislike for tools that are used to kill things.
  • No. But the day comes when some fucking kid is playing around outside your house with the gun he found in daddy's office, or one has been abandoned in the street and you have to do the responsible thing and hold onto it until the cops arrive, or you otherwise come into contact with one, knowing how to turn on the safety, how to check that it's empty, how to hold it and turn it over to another person without harming them, those are all important skills people often gloss right over so you don't end up hurting yourself and others.
    Do I hold it up to ma eye lak this, honey? That boy out-a there wus gunna keel us all, so's I tooks his gun but I'm too dern dumb to hold it without keeling mahself.
  • edited June 2011
    Do I hold it up to ma eye lak this, honey? That boy out-a there wus gunna keel us all, so's I tooks his gun but I'm too dern dumb to hold it without keeling mahself.
    You laugh, but death due to accidental gun discharge is not an uncommon occurrence.
    To be fair Sail never said he was afraid of guns. And we do not know if he has had any firearm saftey classes. He just expressed a healthy dislike for tools that are used to kill things.
    Saying you don't even want to be near one is a fairly strong indicator of irrational fear.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2011
    According to Washington Cease Fire, a national gun safety advocacy group, the number of accidental firearms deaths last year was 649. The number of homicides by firearms was 11,624. The number of suicides was 16,750. Guns were used for 43,592 assaults that resulted in injury. The number of injuries by accidental handling of firearms numbered a fourth of that.

It seems to me that we have more to fear from people handling guns with purpose than people "stumbling" on to them by accident.

Also, yes, statistically, according to these figures, accidental gun death is an uncommon occurrence. It only affects appoximately 0.000216333333 percent of the US population.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited June 2011
    I am not irrationally afraid of guns. I have a healthy dislike of them.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2011
    Ignorance of firearms is dangerous.
    It's far more dangerous when those ignorant think guns are all cool and groovy and try to handle them without knowing what they're doing. I'd treat a handgun on the sidewalk the same way I'd treat a rattlesnake in my backyard. Leave it alone, call someone who knows what they're doing, and keep others away from it until they arrive.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • the number of accidental firearms deaths last year was 649.
    That's still 649 unnecessary deaths that could have been possibly prevented due to proper education.
    The number of suicides was 16,750
    I don't think that not having a gun would have prevented those people from committing suicide.

I haven't handled a gun since I was 8 or 9 and that was when my father took me to a shooting range. I have thought about owning a gun for quite sometime, but I need to read my lease agreement and also get permits. That's currently not on my list of priorities.

I respect the power of guns and how proficient of a weapon they are capable of being.
  • It's far more dangerous when those ignorant think guns are all cool and groovy and try to handle them without knowing what they're doing.
    Exactly why they should be taught gun safety.
    I'd treat a handgun on the sidewalk the same way I'd treat a rattlesnake in my backyard. Leave it alone, call someone who knows what they're doing, and keep others away from it until they arrive.
    Fair enough, but (IMO) I think you are doing yourself a disservice on an important experience.
    It seems to me that we have more to fear from people handling guns with purpose than people "stumbling" on to them by accident.
    I never said that we should be afraid of people stumbling upon them. Still, I think that over the past two decades there has been enough public education on the issue of gun safety that people know better and attribute to the drop we've seen.
  • That's still 649 unnecessary deaths that could have been possibly prevented due to proper education.
    What makes you think that the people who died were untrained? Or that they didn't die accidentally at a shooting range? Wouldn't you say that people who have guns are more likely to be around when something goes wrong with a gun?
  • What makes you think that the people who died were untrained? Or that they didn't die accidentally at a shooting range?
    This is true. My original statement was may have died, but I changed it. It would nice to get more data on whether or not the people involved with the accidents where properly educated in handling guns.
    Wouldn't you say that people who have guns are more likely to be around when something goes wrong with a gun?
    You can easily replace gun with car. A gun by itself is not dangerous.
  • A car is not designed to kill things.
  • edited June 2011
    A car is not designed to kill things.
    The point is that a gun is not inherently good or bad. It's just a thing.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2011
    But you are required to go through an education course and be tested to drive a car legally.

Owing to the global and massive scale of the issue, with predictions that by 2020 road traffic deaths and injuries will exceed HIV/AIDS as a burden of death and disability.
    Exactly.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited June 2011
    Edit.
    Yes. You are correct. It is a tool. A tool that is designed with the purpose of killing.

edit. I was not areplying to Ro, my bad.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Yes. You are correct. It is a tool. A tool that is designed with the purpose of killing.
    And...? This statement is just a red herring.
  • How so? It is true.