This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boom sticks, firearms, guns, and/or weapons discussions

Comments

• Really? I've heard you can get shitty Mosins, but I've also heard that if you're careful about which one you buy, you can get a decent rifle fairly cheap.
    You can, but you gotta look. This involves knowing what to look for, which I didn't know when I was buying my first gun.
    I'd occasionally hunt roo or feral pigs(a big problem in more ways than one here) with mine. Fucking brilliant rifle, but I do agree, not exactly a bench rifle.
    The only thing I hunt are parking spaces. :P
  • edited August 2011
    You can, but you gotta look. This involves knowing what to look for, which I didn't know when I was buying my first gun.
    Oh yeah. I got a little stuck in my own head there, and simply presumed he'd behave like I would, in other words, bring along a more knowledgeable friend to help inspect the rifle before you purchase it - but of course, not everybody(actually, most people) think like I do, so I should SAY these things to make sure, not just think them.
    The only thing I hunt are parking spaces. :P
    That's fair, it's not for everyone. I've spoken of my hunting rules, but in short, I kill, I keep what I kill, and I only kill what I can eat, unless it's threatening me in some manner. A feral pig charges me, I'm going to brass the fucker up, even if I've already bagged one, for example.

Also, I'm long remembered in one of my rover crews for showing up to the week-long camp with a big, fresh wild boar on the back of my mate's ute. It was good eating, that week - the original plan was to spit-roast it whole, but we couldn't find a spit that worked, nor build a fire big enough without getting in trouble, so we had to be content with butchering it up, and then spit-roasting bits of it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hmm, I'm checking out that site right now. So how exactly does it work if I buy something there. Do I have to get it shipped to a firearms dealer, or is there a way I can get it just sent to me and do all the legal stuff online?
  • edited June 2011
    Hmm, I'm checking out that site right now. So how exactly does it work if I buy something there. Do I have to get it shipped to a firearms dealer, or is there a way I can get it just sent to me and do all the legal stuff online?
    It has to be shipped to a FFL. I haven't really figured out how it works either. I recommend just finding a gun shop in your area. You're going to need a place to buy ammo anyway.
    That's fair, it's not for everyone. I've spoken of my hunting rules, but in short, I kill, I keep what I kill, and I only kill what I can eat, unless it's threatening me in some manner. A feral pig charges me, I'm going to brass the fucker up, even if I've already bagged one, for example.
    I'm not putting you on trial for hunting. :P My friend brought up ground venison a couple months ago, we made burgers. It was delicious.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited June 2011
    It has to be shipped to a FFL. I haven't really figured out how it works either. I recommend just finding a gun shop in your area. You're going to need a place to buy ammo anyway.
    I very much agree - even if you do buy your guns from that site, or any other place online, shop around, and find a good local gunstore and gunsmith - eventually, you're going to want something done to your rifle you can't do yourself, and you'll always need somewhere to buy ammo, lubricants, and cleaning supplies.

I heartily recommend having a good relationship with your gun store and especially your gunsmith - between you and those two, that's your holy trinity of firearms. You the owner, your seller, and your gunsmith.
    I'm not putting you on trial for hunting. :P My friend brought up ground venison a couple months ago, we made burgers. It was delicious.
    Oh, I know, it's chill, I'm just nattering away. And it's not like I'm shooting moose from a plane or chopper, or getting some local guide to set up the rifle on the bench rest mounted to the truck before I lean in an pull the trigger, I'm on the ground, stalking and killing prey, so much like the pope said when the cardinal burst into the vatican's bathroom, Hey, I am at peace.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hmm, I'm checking out that site right now. So how exactly does it work if I buy something there. Do I have to get it shipped to a firearms dealer, or is there a way I can get it just sent to me and do all the legal stuff online?
    That shouldn't be too big of a deal. I've got an MC Sports and a Dunhams Sports in multiple towns nearby, and I know they both sell firearms. It would just be convenient to be able to buy like I do on Amazon.
  • That shouldn't be too big of a deal. I've got an MC Sports and a Dunhams Sports in multiple towns nearby, and I know they both sell firearms. It would just be convenient to be able to buy like I do on Amazon.
    You don't want a sporting goods store with a guns section, you want a place with guns on the walls and nothing else. If you walk into a place and chaosof99 wouldn't immediately freak out, you need to find a better gun shop. :P
  • That shouldn't be too big of a deal. I've got an MC Sports and a Dunhams Sports in multiple towns nearby, and I know they both sell firearms. It would just be convenient to be able to buy like I do on Amazon.
    You don't want a sporting goods store with a guns section, you want a place with guns on the walls and nothing else. If you walk into a place and chaosof99 wouldn't immediately freak out, you need to find a better gun shop. :P
    Why not? I mean I didn't plan on buying the gun there but wouldn't it be fine to get one shipped there?
  • Why not? I mean I didn't plan on buying the gun there but wouldn't it be fine to get one shipped there?
    They might not be as amenable to it, and if you're going to get to know a store, you might as well get to know a store that specializes in what you want.
  • Thanks to this thread, I finally found something that Amazon doesn't sell.
  • Why not? I mean I didn't plan on buying the gun there but wouldn't it be fine to get one shipped there?
    Pete may be right in that they may not want you to ship to them, but honestly you don't need a new gun as your first. Hence why I recommend a gun shop, they'll have a large variety of used guns to choose from. Odds are they'll also be more knowledge and will better assist in making the correct purchase for your needs.
    There's probably a good reason for that. I imagine the problems of dealing with all the paperwork if they were to become a firearms dealer would be a problem, along with proper storage and transport at the kind of volume they do.
  • but honestly you don't need a new gun as your first.
    That's what I'm thinking. I think for now I might just see if I stumble upon a cheap rifle at a garage sale before anything else. There's plenty of rednecks in these here parts.

I know I'm going to need a real gun store though, because I doubt the $350 consumer AK's and whatnot they have a dunhams are very good.
    There's probably a good reason for that. I imagine the problems of dealing with all the paperwork if they were to become a firearms dealer would be a problem, along with proper storage and transport at the kind of volume they do.
    Besides, if they did sell firearms, their warehouses would instantly become major targets for theft.
  • edited June 2011
    Besides, if they did sell firearms, their warehouses would instantly become major targets for theft.
    Or the exact opposite if the security guards utilize the merchandise.

Comeon, Amazon warehouses can't possibly be bigger targets than they are already.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There's probably a good reason for that. I imagine the problems of dealing with all the paperwork if they were to become a firearms dealer would be a problem, along with proper storage and transport at the kind of volume they do.
    It's just flat out against the law in America. Firearms can only be shipped to FFL holders. The majority of FFLs are gun shops. Firearms purchases and shipments are actually pretty heavily regulated in the US.
  • It's just flat out against the law in America. Firearms can only be shipped to FFL holders. The majority of FFLs are gun shops. Firearms purchases and shipments are actually pretty heavily regulated in the US.
    I figured that would be the paperwork and transport part.
  • Last weekend I was looking at a Springfield XD compact for carry purposes, or a single stack walther 9mm, but I'm no gun nut and I feel uncomfortable dropping $450 on something I don't know enough about and hope to never use. I have a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel that I use for hunting and some .22 rifles that I haven't touched in years, all stored at my father's house in his safe. That's about it. I'd like to have more but guns really don't hold my interest as collectibles or devices, and the cost is too prohibitive. :-/
  • My dad has a full size Springfield XD. It's a good gun, but I think a bit thick and heavy for carry duty even in compact form. If I were going to carry I'd be looking at something tiny like a Kel-tec P32. That gun weighs less than 10 oz fully loaded and only 3/4 of an inch thick. You can almost just toss it in your pocket and forget you're even armed.
  • edited June 2011
    If you're just looking for something for carrying on you, and aren't a hardcore gun geek, there's not much need to spend that much anyway. You could easily find a decent pocket pistol for under $200. The Cobra arms CA380 is less than $130 most places. I've heard its a decent little pistol but I have no firsthand experience. $450 is definitely more than you need to spend if its just for that. Though why do you need a gun to carry on your person exactly? I mean I'm probably going to get a CCL when I turn 21 just because, but I don't see actually NEEDING to carry a gun on my person any time in the near future.

Has anyone here gotten their hands on a Kel-tec sub-2000? I like the folding design and the use of standard 9mm pistol mags.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Yeah it seemed really chunky, I liked it but for carry the Walther was better. But what do I know? I've literally never carried a gun concealed. I should probably just bite the bullet and get one, carry it, see what I don't like about it and then sell it to buy one that fixes those problems. I'll say this for guns: they sure do hold their resale value.
  • Yeah it seemed really chunky, I liked it but for carry the Walther was better. But what do I know? I've literally never carried a gun concealed. I should probably just bite the bullet and get one, carry it, see what I don't like about it and then sell it to buy one that fixes those problems. I'll say this for guns: they sure do hold their resale value.
    Yeah, really not the worst plan.

For the record I bought my mosin for $125 and sold it for $100. I probably could have gotten $125, but I sold it to my friend so i gave him a deal.
  • If you're just looking for something for carrying on you, and aren't a hardcore gun geek, there's not much need to spend that much anyway. You could easily find a decent pocket pistol for under $200. The Cobra arms CA380 is less than $130 most places. I've heard its a decent little pistol but I have no firsthand experience. $450 is definitely more than you need to spend if its just for that. Though why do you need a gun to carry on your person exactly? I mean I'm probably going to get a CCL when I turn 21 just because, but I don't see actually NEEDING to carry a gun on my person any time in the near future.

Has anyone here gotten their hands on a Kel-tec sub-2000? I like the folding design and the use of standard 9mm pistol mags.
    I don't particularly need a CCL but if I can get one I will. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  • Has anyone here gotten their hands on a Kel-tec sub-2000? I like the folding design and the use of standard 9mm pistol mags.
    I can't tell you personally, but I hear they're pretty good. Can't give you much more detail than that, other than what I can see, which amounts to "Nice design, and it looks like it's got some very nice sights."
  • Has anyone here gotten their hands on a Kel-tec sub-2000? I like the folding design and the use of standard 9mm pistol mags.
    I can't tell you personally, but I hear they're pretty good. Can't give you much more detail than that, other than what I can see, which amounts to "Nice design, and it looks like it's got some very nice sights."
    I think Wyatt's brother has one.
  • I think Wyatt's brother has one.
    He does. It looks pretty cool, but I've never fired it myself.
  • I think Wyatt's brother has one.
    He does. It looks pretty cool, but I've never fired it myself.
    I LOVE that gun. It doesn't fire bullets. So much as lobs them quickly at things. Very compact with minimal weight and kick. I'd suggest it to anyone going on a long deep woods hike. This is not a hunting rifle nor is it needed for day trips to popular trails. Hunting small game and dispatching rabbid/aggressive animals at a distance is all I'd suggest for it.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh wow, I just saw Kel-Tec's soon to be released shotgun offering. Bull-pup style design with twin tubes for 14 round capacity. It's so freaking cool looking.

EDIT: I just really like a lot of what Kel-Tec has to offer. The just seem to spend all their engineering effort on things you'll use and nothing on things you won't.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited June 2011
    I like Kel-Tec, but a lot of their models have folding stocks. That makes most of their stuff illegal in NY. The Sub-2000 gets away with a breaking barrel, and that's ok.

O-O... Yeah...I'll have to price that shotgun when it comes out.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I always look at people a bit funny when they talk about going to a gun range to shoot. Then I realize that not everyone lives in the woods with a massive hill of dirt to shoot into. That said, I've not shot very often, and it's always been under supervision of people who knew what they're doing and made sure I didn't fuck up. Shooting milk jugs full of water with whatever fancy rounds my dad had was well satisfying and looked cool to boot.