This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boom sticks, firearms, guns, and/or weapons discussions

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Also, you are the fucking wuss here, because you are incapable of taking even the slightest phrase you don't like without starting an entire hizzy fit over it, regardless of whether there was any intention behind that phrase or not.
    Mate, you seem to have it wrong. I imagine you think I've got steam pouring from my ears and are shouting each word shrilly as I type - But really, nope. You're getting calm-but-insulting-you-for-acting-a-fool. Were this vocal, it'd be pretty close to a regular conversational tone, though obviously, with quite a bit of disdain. You're not nearly annoying enough to get the reaction I think you're imagining, princess.
    Judging by your condescension and insults, I believe you are projecting here.
    You are wrong Churba. It's not that I called it "normal procedure" but the best option in the situation at hand. If there is a better option, such as one that doesn't involve touching the gun at all, I will of course take that one!
    Except that's not the best option for the situation at hand, the best option is don't touch the goddamn thing. And I remind you, again, that you said
    If I found a gun on the sidewalk, I would simply take the safety precautions anyone with a brain should be able to figure out: Hold it in a tight grip (as in not to drop it), keep your finger off the trigger, and keep it pointed to the ground or at least away from people until you can deposit it in a safe place and call the cops to take care of it.
    Which should be you last resort, not your first. And it ignores the idea you'll just find a gun on the sidewalk as ludicrously unlikely - more likely, if it's just there on the sidewalk, someone else is already dealing with it. If you find it just sitting there, it's going to be already out of the way, or else someone else would probably have seen it first, with sidewalks usually being pretty high traffic.
    Again with your presumptions. We have never specified any of the other surrounding circumstances, such as for example the volume of traffic on the sidewalk. You are also presuming that automatically any option that involves not touching the gun is preferable to any option involving touching it, and I highly doubt that to be true.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited June 2011
    Judging by your condescension and insults, I believe you are projecting here.
    Then I don't know what you call a hissy-fit. If that's not what you mean, then maybe, sweetheart, you should use different words.
    Again with your presumptions. We have never specified any of the other surrounding circumstances, such as for example the volume of traffic on the sidewalk. You are also presuming that automatically any option that involves not touching the gun is preferable to any option involving touching it, and I highly doubt that to be true.
    It's a fucking sidewalk. What, you're just cruising down a random sidewalk in the middle of Fucking nowhere, where there is either low traffic, or nobody notices a gun just sitting there on the sidewalk? Where is this mystical land, pray tell, where people build sidewalks where there would be nobody walking, and yet, someone came by, dropped a gun, and didn't notice?

And yes, for you, as someone with Zero Knowlege of firearms beyond "They can kill people" and a stated unwillingness to learn more, Not touching the gun IS preferable to touching it. Because you don't know what you're fucking doing, and don't know the basics of firearm safety - thus making it more likely that someone will be hurt if you start handling that firearm than if you don't.

Hell, if I found a gun just sitting around - assuming it's not just sitting on a sidewalk that people are currently using, say, down an alley or thrown into some scrub in a park, or near a sidewalk - I'd leave the gun alone and call the cops too, and I'm far more knowledgeable about firearms than yourself, and far more experienced in their use. It's only if that firearm would present any danger being just left sitting that I would examine it, and pick it up to engage the saftey(s) and clear it.

Assume you don't know at all how to operate a car. If a car was parked in a dangerous spot, would you tell someone and try to prevent any accidents or anyone getting hurt, or would you jump in the driver's seat and try to move it?
    Assume - this one is less hard to assume - you know nothing about bomb construction or explosives, and you find a bomb just sitting there. Are you going to start fucking with it and try to defuse it, or are you going to leave it the fuck alone and get people to stay away while you wait for people who know what they're doing?

Same principle. You don't know anything about guns. So don't fuck with it, dead simple.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    I'll probably inherit my grandfather's over-unders for duck/clay shooting.

I'd also like to purchase a Walther P99 in the future.

Oh yeah, and once I have space I'll probably want a K98, M1 Garand, and a Mosin Nagant.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It should be noted officially that I just wanted a thread to discuss firearms geekiness. Firearms and marksmanship are treated by some much like we treat modding computers. I don't fucking care about the guns are evil argument.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd also like to purchase a Walther P99 in the future.
    Hey, they're pretty nice. I'll admit, I personally prefer the Browning Hi-Power(particularly the mark III), but that's just personal preference for a gun that fits me better, and the P99s are still damn fine pistols, a joy to shoot.

Y'know, I'd like to note, improved(ie, made to not be an enormous shitpile) AR-15 pattern rifles are pretty damned nice, too.
    Oh yeah, and once I have space I'll probably want a K98, M1 Garand, and a Mosin Nagant.
    All pretty nice old rifles, and you can definitely get Mosins cheap and cheerful, but make sure when you first get it - and pardon me if I'm telling you something you already know - that you detail strip it and make sure you get all the Cosmoline out of it, that shit just gets EVERYWHERE, and it's annoying to remove - but all three of those, it's well worth it.
    It should be noted officially that I just wanted a thread to discuss firearms geekiness. Firearms and marksmanship are treated by some much like we treat modding computers. I don't fucking care about the guns are evil argument.
    Cheap as it sounds from one of the pair involved in the big blowup argument, I wish it had stayed that way. But, too late to take back harsh words now, can only continue and try not to let it happen again. Sorry about that, George.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So I take it I'm the only one on the forum that actually owns any firearms.
    Doesn't Wyatt own firearms as well? Perhaps he's too busy to post.
    Yup. It's been a busy week for me. My brother owns most of the guns I have access too, but I plan on buying my own soon.
  • You tell 'em George!

I think I might look into going to local shooting ranges/clubs to just learn more about it as well as to practice, but looking at the annual membership fee of $200+ is something that is a luxury. There is a 3 hour gun safety class for $80 where they can provide a .22 caliber pistol with ammo. That could provide for an interesting experience.
  • Statistically guns aren't actually all that useful for personal self defense. However, they are very useful for the geekeries such as marksmanship, gun collecting, and gunsmithing. They are also very useful in case of zmobies or actual legitimate revolution. Taking all those things into account, I'll let you guys build up the arsenals out in the sticks, and I'll come out to visit when there's an emergency.
  • edited June 2011
    This thread also needs a healthy dose of tactilol to cleanse the palate.

Because nothing says America like an AK47
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2011
    It's a fucking sidewalk. What, you're just cruising down a random sidewalk in the middle of Fucking nowhere, where there is either low traffic, or nobody notices a gun just sitting there on the sidewalk? Where is this mystical land, pray tell, where people build sidewalks where there would be nobody walking, and yet, someone came by, dropped a gun, and didn't notice?Ever thought about that we might be talking a situation happening at night? Oh, and I'm of course deeply sorry that I'm living in a place where there are sidewalks that aren't aren't trampled into the ground 24/7.
    And yes, for you, as someone with Zero Knowlege of firearms beyond "They can kill people" and a stated unwillingness to learn more, Not touching the gun IS preferable to touching it. Because you don't know what you're fucking doing, and don't know the basics of firearm safety - thus making it more likely that someone will be hurt if you start handling that firearm than if you don't.

Hell, if I found a gun just sitting around - assuming it's not just sitting on a sidewalk that people are currently using, say, down an alley or thrown into some scrub in a park, or near a sidewalk - I'd leave the gun alone and call the cops too, and I'm far more knowledgeable about firearms than yourself, and far more experienced in their use. It's only if that firearm would present any danger being just left sitting that I would examine it, and pick it up to engage the saftey(s) and clear it.

Assume you don't know at all how to operate a car. If a car was parked in a dangerous spot, would you tell someone and try to prevent any accidents or anyone getting hurt, or would you jump in the driver's seat and try to move it?
    Assume - this one is less hard to assume - you know nothing about bomb construction or explosives, and you find a bomb just sitting there. Are you going to start fucking with it and try to defuse it, or are you going to leave it the fuck alone and get people to stay away while you wait for people who know what they're doing?

Same principle. You don't know anything about guns. So don't fuck with it, dead simple.
    Okay, let's go over your great list of gun safety tips from TVTropes:
    1) A gun is always loaded. - I am assuming that the gun is loaded, and handle it as such.
    2) A gun is a tool of destruction. - Very much true, and I have never said anything different.
    3) Trigger and safety discipline. - I said I wouldn't put my finger on the trigger. I also would try to look for the safety and engage it if it is properly labeled.
    4) Avoid collateral damage. - I'd assume trying to aim the gun at the ground, or at least away from people, while carrying it, would fall under here.
    5) Know your limits. - While I would generally try to avoid touching a gun, I am assuming we are in a situation where the best course of action requires touching it. I would attempt to follow the things discussed above and get the gun out of my hands and into a safe position where it can cause the least amount of harm as soon as possible.
    6) Interacting with others. - I would warn people around me, if I meet any. I would also try to involve them in helping me to turn over the gun to the police. And I would ask for assistance due to my inexperience. That is all of course assuming that other people are around at all.
    7) Ammunition Safety. - Since I don't plan on firing the gun, nor to find out what ammunition is in the gun if there is any in it at all, I think this point is irrelevant.

So please, tell me, how do I rank.

I think the only disagreement we are really having here is whether or not there are situations where the best course of action is for an untrained, but responsible, person to handle a gun in a minimal manner to take the gun out of harms way. To extend your bomb analogy, let's assume the following situation: There's an armed suitcase bomb on a bridge across a canyon. It is going to explode in 3 minutes. There is no bomb technician around, but you could grab the bomb and toss it into the river below. Would you do that, or would you refuse on the basis that you don't know anything about explosives?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • This thread also needs a healthy dose of tactilol to cleanse the palate.
    Let's not forget the Universal tactical attachment, for those times when the thing your gun really needs is another, smaller gun -
  • For Scott
  • Being an official (even if I don't sound like it) Southern citizen, I can tell you gun ownership and knowledge is taken damn fucking seriously. When Dina and I moved to our quaint little residence back in 1995, the area we lived in was in the middle of a political/financial jurisdiction battle between the local police department and county sheriff's department. We made the decision to purchase a pump shotgun for home defense (Remington 870 in 12 gauge as recommended by a policeman we knew). After the purchase, we attended a two-week course on general gun safety offered by the county sheriff's department. We were also blessed with having a Korean war vet living across from us. He showed us how to load, unload, strip, clean, aim and fire the weapon properly.

I am thankful that to this day I have never needed to use the shotgun on another person. But I still keep the safety on and stored in a secure place in the bedroom, and every two weeks like clockwork, my neighbor comes over and invites me to clean my shotgun with him and fire off a few rounds to make sure it is operating properly. Could do without the buttermilk though.
  • Statistically guns aren't actually all that useful for personal self defense.
    Can you back that up? Because the last two times we had the gun control flamewar, I linked to the same study demonstrating that more crimes are prevented by firearms than are committed with firearms. The term is a "defensive gun use" or DGU. The study showed that the majority of the time, the presence or threat of a firearm was sufficient to deter the situation.

Now, how many times the presence of a firearm exacerbated the situation, I don't know.

Pellet guns are the shit, by the way.
  • edited June 2011
    So please, tell me, how do I rank.
    On that particular metric? Following your assumption of a situation where there is no other course of action but to carefully pick up the gun and put it somewhere, you're doing pretty well, I'd give you a Pass on that - which ain't too bad, since it's a binary mark, pass or fail. I'd probably ask you a few extra questions to make sure you got the whole thing down, were I to test you, and pose the situations rather than letting you assume, but you did alright, not a fail by any means, good work.

You're gonna hate me for it, but I'd also advise you memorize the basic headings laid out there as the minimum, too. Call it Piece of mind - as much as you're a bit narky, I don't want to see you get hurt or hurt anyone else by accident.
    There's an armed suitcase bomb on a bridge across a canyon. It is going to explode in 3 minutes. There is no bomb technician around, but you could grab the bomb and toss it into the river below. Would you do that, or would you refuse on the basis that you don't know anything about explosives?
    Personally? I'd call it in and then leave it the hell alone, standing quite a ways back - I don't know if that bomb has a tilt-switch or other anti-tamper device, so picking it up and tossing it in the canyon might just result in the same thing as just letting the timer go, but sooner, and with me right next to it. I know a bit about explosives, but nowhere near enough to defuse a bomb like that, and what I do know tells me to stay right the fuck away and try to keep everyone else away.

If there is anything else I can do, blocking off roads(I don't know how either, but it's if I could, not a certainty), what have you, I will, but I'm staying well back from that bridge, and trying to keep other people away from it. It's simply not safe to do otherwise, and likely to incur the same result, if not a worse one if I try to interfere with it.
    I am thankful that to this day I have never needed to use the shotgun on another person. But I still keep the safety on and stored in a secure place in the bedroom, and every two weeks like clockwork, my neighbor comes over and invites me to clean my shotgun with him and fire off a few rounds to make sure it is operating properly. Could do without the buttermilk though.
    I must admit, I find detail stripping and cleaning firearms to be a rather meditative activity, most of the time. Takes me to a very zen state of mind. I can sometimes get there by visualizing it, but I'm not very good at doing it without a firearm in my hands yet. You've got a good neighbor there, too.

Also, just buttermilk, or like Irish buttermilk where it's only good for drinking and stripping paint?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • <3 Chris Costa
  • The only reason for me to buy a gun would be to dismantle it and reassemble it again and again.
  • Also, just buttermilk, or like Irish buttermilk where it's only good for drinking and stripping paint?

Straight buttermilk. As the Sarge (my neighbor) says: "Only two things don't go well with guns, drinking and sex."
  • Straight buttermilk. As the Sarge (my neighbor) says: "Only two things don't go well with guns, drinking and sex."
    Hah, Sarge is a wise man. If I'm carrying or handling - even if it's in pieces - nary a drop will cross my lips - in fact, I'll generally drink tea, if I'm drinking at all.
  • I don't have any actual guns yet, but I'm really wanting to get into them. I don't really want them for self defense, more just for target shooting. Plus, it just feels wrong not to have a few since I live in the sticks. I'd really like to get ones I can use Wax rounds in because of the low cost, and safety. Does anyone here have experience with them? I saw a couple rifles at a garage sale for $30 a few weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for not buying one, but I had like no cash on me at the time anyway. What would you guys suggest for a good low cost starter gun? Just a cheap .22?

As for the gun-like things I own, I've got a Crossman pumpmaster bb/pellet gun, an old CO2 Crossman bb pistol from the 70's, a couple cheap crossbow pistols and, some cheap airsoft guns and a paintball gun.
  • edited June 2011
    What would you guys suggest for a good low cost starter gun? Just a cheap .22?
    Well, it depends on what you want to do. Are you just going to be plinking cans? Do you seriously want to learn to shoot? Also, how big are you, roughly, and what's roughly your budget?

Of course, as blanket advice, make sure you check the laws in your area and do everything above board. Make sure you buy cleaning supplies, and scout out a target range - either that someone else owns, or property you have permission to shoot on. Be fastidious in cleaning your guns and storing them safely.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What would you guys suggest for a good low cost starter gun? Just a cheap .22?
    Low cost starter gun and .22LR are one and the same. Are you looking for a rifle or pistol? For pistol the cheapest is a Ruger Mark III semi-automatic, in standard grip angle or 22/45 grip angle. The MSRP on one of those is around $400, but you can probably get it cheaper if you look around. The next cheapest is a Ruger Single Six, a single action revolver (single action meaning you have to pull the hammer back before you pull the trigger). Those MSRP in the $500 range, again you can probably do a bit better with a local dealer. Now for rifles you can get a Ruger 10/22 semi-automatic for about $300 or less. I got my Marlin bolt action for a little under $200 used.
  • edited June 2011
    Well, it depends on what you want to do. Are you just going to be plinking cans? Do you seriously want to learn to shoot? Also, how big are you, roughly, and what's roughly your budget?
    Well at the moment plinking cans is really all I've done but I'd like to start doing more serious target shooting eventually. I'm like 6'3'' and not exactly scrawny. I don't know about budget seeing as I don't have much money at the moment but I don't really want to spend more than a couple hundred when I do buy one.
    Are you looking for a rifle or pistol?
    Both, really. I guess a rifle would probably be the best for me at the moment because I don't have to go through as much to get one. I'm only 20 so I wouldn't want to have to get someone 21 or older to buy me a pistol from a store and then get the paperwork to buy it from them.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited June 2011
    Well at the moment plinking cans is really all I've done but I'd like to start doing more serious target shooting eventually. I'm like 6'3'' and not exactly scrawny. I don't know about budget seeing as I don't have much money at the moment but I don't really want to spend more than a couple hundred when I do buy one.
    Well, it would be worth investigating older rifles like the Mosin Nagant - that's a popular first rifle, and they're not too bad for the price - or another rifle in 30.06 or (preferably) .223 might do you well if you're the throwing yourself in the deeper end type - but always, always be safe, yeah?
    I'll have to think more about actual rifles, it's something I don't often consider - after all, I learned to shoot on a Lithgow modified Smelly (SMLE mark III HT) that was older than god and chambered for .303. I do know that Savage Arms have some damned fine rifles for decent prices, which are accurate, easy to take care of, tough, and will last for longer than you do.

Also, apparently a good site is cheaper than dirt. I advise doing your own research, naturally, but they tend to have damned good prices on firearms. For example, you can get a brand-new Ruger 10/22 there for $214, or a Marlin XT-22 for $175.

I've not got the physical measure of you, so I can't get too specific with my recommendations, but I strongly recommend you get a bolt action as your first rifle, rather than a semi-auto, though magazine fed or single shot breech loader doesn't matter so much.

Of course, I do agree with George - a ruger 10/22 is pretty good for a first rifle, the ammo is cheap as chips, and the rifle doesn't cost that much more.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Both, really. I guess a rifle would probably be the best for me at the moment because I don't have to go through as much to get one. I'm only 20 so I wouldn't want to have to get someone 21 or older to buy me a pistol from a store and then get the paperwork to buy it from them.
    Yeah, rifle then, they're cheaper anyway. A budget of about $200 can buy you a nice .22LR rifle. I'd personally recommend a Marlin bolt action as bolt action rifle are very simple and easy to take down for cleaning. You'll also need a cleaning kit, but that can be sourced on amazon very easily.

I got my Marlin for about $190 I think. It's from the mid 80's or so. It came with a dinky 4x scope, I put the gigantic scope you now see on it for about $100 ($75 scope + the mounts). So all told I'm $300 in to the gun and I love it. It shoots awesome, perfectly straight as long as I do my part.
  • edited June 2011
    Well, it would be worth investigating older rifles like the Mosin Nagant - that's a popular first rifle, and they're not too bad for the price - or another rifle in 30.06 or (preferably) .223 might do you well if you're the throwing yourself in the deeper end type - but always, always be safe, yeah?
    I'll have to think more about actual rifles, it's something I don't often consider - after all, I learned to shoot on a Lithgow modified Smelly (SMLE mark III HT) that was older than god and chambered for .303. I do know that Savage Arms have some damned fine rifles for decent prices, which are accurate, easy to take care of, tough, and will last for longer than you do.
    I bought a Mosin Nagant as my first gun, I wouldn't recommend it. While simple to take down, it's not simple to shoot. It kicks like a horse and causes you to develop bad habits of wincing when you pull the trigger. Also the ammo is both costly and difficult to find.

I had forgotten about Savage Arms, they make excellent bolt action .22's as well. I'm actually thinking about a Savage Axis XP in .223 for my next gun. My .22LR is great, but its range is 100 yards at the extreme. .223 goes 300 yards easily and isn't too expensive.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I bought a Mosin Nagant as my first gun, I wouldn't recommend it. While simple to take down, it's not simple to shoot. It kicks like a horse and causes you to develop bad habits of wincing when you pull the trigger. Also the ammo is both costly and difficult to find.
    Heh, suppose I just never thought to complain, but the smelly isn't exactly gentle either.
    I had forgotten about Savage Arms, they make excellent bolt action .22's as well.
    They do indeed - That marlin I mentioned before, the XT-22, they're damned nice, and dirt cheap. Marlin make some fine rifles - I used to own(but still have access to currently) a marlin Lever action chambered in .308. Bloody excellent gun.
  • edited June 2011
    This thread also needs a healthy dose of tactilol to cleanse the palate.

Because nothing says America like an AK47
    This screams of I have a tiny penis.
    The only reason for me to buy a gun would be to dismantle it and reassemble it again and again.
    "Damn you Gump why did you do that so fast?"
    "Because you told me to Drill Sargent"
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Heh, suppose I just never thought to complain, but the smelly isn't exactly gentle either.
    It's not terrible, but it's really not the best way to straight. Sure the Mosins are cheap to buy, but really that's because they're relatively shitty guns. The trigger in mine was pretty awful and the straight handle bolt was a nightmare to work. And they're often not headspaced correctly which is dangerous and expensive to fix.
    They do indeed - That marlin I mentioned before, the XT-22, they're damned nice, and dirt cheap. Marlin make some fine rifles - I used to own(but still have access to currently) a marlin Lever action chambered in .308. Bloody excellent gun.
    Yeah, mine in basically the predecessor to the XT-22. Marlin lever actions are pretty bad ass, I want one. It really would just be to collect though, I have no need for one and lever actions are really impractical when firing from the bench like I often do.
  • It's not terrible, but it's really not the best way to straight. Sure the Mosins are cheap to buy, but really that's because they're relatively shitty guns. The trigger in mine was pretty awful and the straight handle bolt was a nightmare to work. And they're often not headspaced correctly which is dangerous and expensive to fix.
    Really? I've heard you can get shitty Mosins, but I've also heard that if you're careful about which one you buy, you can get a decent rifle fairly cheap.
    Yeah, mine in basically the predecessor to the XT-22. Marlin lever actions are pretty bad ass, I want one. It really would just be to collect though, I have no need for one and lever actions are really impractical when firing from the bench like I often do.
    I'd occasionally hunt roo or feral pigs(a big problem in more ways than one here) with mine. Fucking brilliant rifle, but I do agree, not exactly a bench rifle.