This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boom sticks, firearms, guns, and/or weapons discussions

12346»

Comments

• One step closer to a cyberpunk smart gun. I'm ok with this.

I'm at work. So I can't tell if that system adjust for wind or not. So it doesn't beat out training and experience. Yet.

I'd like to put a camera on all police firearms to record the events every time a gun is drawn, or at least with SWAT snipers.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm at work. So I can't tell if that system adjust for wind or not. So it doesn't beat out training and experience. Yet.
    They don't say, unfortunately, but it would be silly not to. I'd wager that it will work out the range on it's own, but wind is a user input.
    One step closer to a cyberpunk smart gun. I'm ok with this.
    True that. But, I'm also at least a little genre savvy - there's always some way to disable your cyberpunk smart gun, so a "dumb" backup would be a necessity.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't see why you would want a smart gun. It takes all the sport out of it.
  • I don't think this takes the sport out of it necessarily. Imagine trying to hit a paper target with this thing. You tag the target, and you are pretty much guaranteed to hit it. However, will it hit the bullseye? Let's say you tag a deer. Pretty much guaranteed to hit the deer, but what part of the deer? This could actually ruin your day by hitting the wrong spot! Sure, it will eventually remove the sport out of it with some extreme zoom, but not yet.

Also, even in the future when you can zoom way in and tag a specific spot, you'll still have to actually be able to tag that spot. For people who suck, that might take a lot of tries. For a fast moving target, tagging a specific spot on it will be just as hard as shooting it in the first place.
  • The trick isn't seeing your target or even compensating for the distance. The trick is holding the rifle steady enough to actually get on target for something at extreme range. I have trouble with stuff at 50 yards, and that's chump change for rifle shoots.
  • edited March 2013
    I don't think this takes the sport out of it necessarily. Imagine trying to hit a paper target with this thing. You tag the target, and you are pretty much guaranteed to hit it. However, will it hit the bullseye? Let's say you tag a deer. Pretty much guaranteed to hit the deer, but what part of the deer? This could actually ruin your day by hitting the wrong spot! Sure, it will eventually remove the sport out of it with some extreme zoom, but not yet.

Also, even in the future when you can zoom way in and tag a specific spot, you'll still have to actually be able to tag that spot. For people who suck, that might take a lot of tries. For a fast moving target, tagging a specific spot on it will be just as hard as shooting it in the first place.
    It's not going to be a problem at extreme range. The only animal you're hunting at more than 1200 yards is going to be other people - you're not shooting deer or hogs or what-have-you from 14 Manhattan city blocks away, that's the kind of distance where you're talking specialized rifles and some pretty big, fast rounds. It's rare for people to hunt most animals at such a range.

Most civilian shooters can't shoot like that, it's hard to do - and even something like this isn't going to be great for shooting an animal at that range. After all, it decides to fire, you're looking at about a second of travel time, your computerized scope decides to take the shot, and your deer ducks it's head to crop more grass, that's a clean miss, you've startled the deer, and you've no chance of hauling ass that far quick enough to pick up a trail to track it. Even if you hit it, you've still gotta walk more than a kilometer to pick up your kill. And even with the scope, you've got to position your body properly, control your breathing, at longer ranges, even being careful of your pulse, you can't have shaky hands, you've got to hold the rifle just right.

Here's a video to help you visualize what we're talking about -

Though, if you think it ruins YOUR day hitting the wrong spot on the deer, imagine how the deer feels. No quick end to it's suffering if you make a poor shot, not from that range. Plus, as I said, you've gotta walk a pretty decent distance just to retrieve your kill, and it's not like you can just spot a deer on the horizon and go to town - you have to set up, lay out your kit, get into a firing position, set your scope for wind and other conditions, tag your target, and then wait for the best shot as determined by the computerized aid. I don't know about you personally, but I'd rather keep the sport in it by not plinking away from 1200+ yards, even though I could, even if I did have a computer-assisted scope

It won't be a problem for target competitions - it'll be banned, and if you show up with one, you can't compete. No big deal there.

I think the most practical application so far is more for Designated Marksmen - not fully trained snipers, but mid-to-long range hitters with semi-auto rifles.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah. Shooting is like 1% of hunting. The other 90% is finding that bastard, and 9% is getting his now dead 120lbs out of the woods. More for the butchery if you do that yourself. I suggest trying it yourself at least once.

Hunting would be a sport even if you removed the actually killing. Hell some "hunter" use cameras, and I consider that a sport.
  • "Hunting," "photography," basically the same thing.
    Extremely similar if you are trying to take photos of timid animals in the woods.
  • Yeah. Shooting is like 1% of hunting. The other 90% is finding that bastard, and 9% is getting his now dead 120lbs out of the woods. More for the butchery if you do that yourself. I suggest trying it yourself at least once.
    In some cases, also including a component of not letting the big bastard charge you down and kill you. I prefer to go after feral pigs. Not only is it a somewhat more even footing - they'll kill you, sure as sure - they're also an extremely problematic invasive species, and you get bacon at the end.
    Hunting would be a sport even if you removed the actually killing. Hell some "hunter" use cameras, and I consider that a sport.
    It's certainly as much a sport as hunting. The hardest part, as you say, isn't the shooting.

• n00b rifle, I think they need to nerf that quickly.
    Extremely similar if you are trying to take photos of timid animals in the woods.
    "Point and shoot." Same terms. Similar skill set.
  • edited March 2013
    Firing solution calculators are very old technology. Battle ships had analog firing solution computers in WW2.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited March 2013
    Firing solution calculators are very old technology. Battle ships had analog firing solution computers in WW2.
    True, and it's not even the first long range rifle with computerized ballistics - the Cheytac Intervention M200 had a little linux-based computer that did almost exactly the same thing as this. The tagging tech isn't new, either. I just don't think we've seen one as fully integrated as this before, and almost certainly never one that was essentially built into the scope. The closest we've come is the one-shot XG, and even that's not as fully integrated of a system, and I'm pretty sure they're not so much an automatic scope, like this, as much as a scope with an integrated ballistic computer.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hunting would be a sport even if you removed the actually killing. Hell some "hunter" use cameras, and I consider that a sport.
    Hunting is a sport. It's just that the defense doesn't realize it's playing.
  • They say in the video that it's intended to make long range shooting more 'user friendly' as it were. You can't just pick it up and make perfect kill shots at 1200 yards, but it vastly decreases the time and training it requires to get to that level.