This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Some practice with action/posing. Nothing that great but, I thought I'd share.
    Update: Manga Studio doesn't export well for web. Had to rescale it externally.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Some practice with action/posing. Nothing that great but, I thought I'd share.
    [snip]
    Update: Manga Studio doesn't export well for web. Had to rescale it externally.
    Looks pretty good. The diagonals give it a good sense of action. If I were you, I'd angle it so that one of the characters is closer to the camera, to get more depth into it. A good rule of thumb I've heard (and I'll admit that I don't follow this as well as I ought to) is to try not to have any two heads on a page the same size.

Another thing, more general -- try to draw in longer lines, without all the scratchiness. I drew like that most of my life, and I found that as soon as I started making a conscious effort to stop scratching and draw long, flowing lines, my stuff improved immediately. It takes time to get used to, but it's worth it.

As for Manga Studio -- what version are you using? I don't think it was like this in version 3, but in version 4 (at least the EX version), you can specify a bunch of options for exporting, and actually get a decent JPG for the web. Try selecting "Specify Output Size", and pick "grayscale" mode.
  • edited February 2009
    That is just a blue sketch layer so I'll have a go at penning over it.
    As for exporting: It works fine when you use a high resolution (I used a 3000px wide image and scaled it externally) but is totally useless for any web sized resolutions. Actually, I'm probably just doing something wrong.
  • That is just a blue sketch layer so I'll have a go at penning over it.
    As for exporting: It works fine when you use a high resolution (I used a 3000px wide image and scaled it externally) but is totally useless for any web sized resolutions. Actually, I'm probably just doing something wrong.
    I understand that this is just a sketch, but that's what I mean. At least for me, using longer strokes, and taking a bit more time, thinking about them a bit more, paradoxically makes the drawing go faster, and come out better.

I think what might be happening with MS is you're exporting in 1- or 2-bit black & white mode. When you export at web resolutions, make sure it's set to either "grayscale" or "color". I just tried it myself, and it looks fine.
  • edited February 2009
    Can I get people's thoughts on this image I found going through my flickr feed? It links to a larger scan.
    It's from back when I used to work on big sheets of A3 with alcohol pen and I think I might try again as my attempts at going digital aren't getting anywhere fast.
    It's monochrome because monochrome is all I have.
  • Perspective is kinda wonky, and there is no definite light source, it doesn't look balanced either, kinda looks like its going to fall flat on his ass, gotta give you props for doing the 3/4 looking up angle, as its one of the hardest ones. Looks like you got lazy or confused at the end when doing the feet. You have some tangents there with the cannons and legs, makes them look like they are part of the same, you should watch out more for the silhouette
  • edited February 2009
    Just to say but this was posted in May 2007 and was kind of a fluke for the time. I've probably improved since then.
    I might also add that, had I added a floor, it would be tilted so that the foreground leg is going close to straight up.
  • Just to say but this was posted in May 2007 and was kind of a fluke for the time. I've probably improved since then.
    I might also add that, had I added a floor, it would be tilted so that the foreground leg is going close to straight up.
    You are hereby obligated to redraw it to your current style ;)
  • edited February 2009
    Question: Good paper for alcohol pens? I drew a line with my biro in my sketchbook then tried to match against it with my alcohol pens and they bled over it at least a millimeter.
  • Question: Good paper for alcohol pens? I drew a line with my biro in my sketchbook then tried to match against it with my alcohol pens and they bled over it at least a millimeter.
    The expensive kind? I think Bristol is pretty much bleed resistant... but don't take my word for it. Maybe some Glossy paper or some thick cardstock? dunno, never use markers
  • Hey Omnu,
    At first glance, it looks great because of the black lines and grey tone. It's a sketch that was almost brought to finish. Those always catch your eye. However the sketch needed some help and MrRoboto pointed some things out. My biggest crit for the sketch would be the perspective issue. My biggest crit for the finalization would be the wobbly black lines. Be confident, make long strong strokes. I suggest practicing on the side of the paper first, then putting one down on the art. A lot of times I look back at something I did a long time ago and I'm a little impressed with myself. It wasn't as bad as I remembered. Is this one of those moments ? =D As for good paper for alcohol pens ( I'm guessing you mean something like prismacolor markers?), I'm not sure. I don't use them that often anymore. Maybe Nuri can help you!
  • Question: Good paper for alcohol pens? I drew a line with my biro in my sketchbook then tried to match against it with my alcohol pens and they bled over it at least a millimeter.
    The expensive kind? I think Bristol is pretty much bleed resistant... but don't take my word for it. Maybe some Glossy paper or some thick cardstock? dunno, never use markers
    I remember trying a thick Bristol and hating it because it didn't allow any bleed. Understanding how the bleed works is part of making good art with it. I think it killed my markers faster too. Glossy paper won't work, I'm sure. Nuri has a gallery of marker work, she'd know best.
  • My biggest crit for the finalization would be the wobbly black lines.
    YES. Watch this video, it's important:
  • edited February 2009

Happy "Fruits" time with a new super hero! I think you may know her.

Edit: Augh dammit, there were cherries on her yellow shirt before. I must have accidentally deleted the layer!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Happy "Fruits" time with a new super hero! I think you may know her.
    That's awesome and very cute.
  • OMG!

Kyahh! I love you, Emi!
  • Happy "Fruits" time with a new super hero! I think you may know her.
    Great stuff, Gomi.
  • edited February 2009
    Before I carry on with this I wanted to get people's views on it. It's for my witches of the north project. I'm trying to use more varied body types, like this one:
    Instead of the typical sexy touchable witch (whoever mentioned that on the Geekchat, damn you!) I'm trying to think more about what someone who lives in tundra and has enough strength to regularly pull a bow would look like.
  • It's a little too vague to tell much. Only thing I can say is that if you're looking to project strength, I'd broaden the shoulders. As a general rule, you should draw a woman's shoulders about the same width as her hips. If you want to make her look strong, go a little wider. The large figure here has shoulders narrower than her hips.
  • edited February 2009
    Outlined it and then filled it. Looks kinda lopsided now (due to the hair being the same shade).
    @Funfetus: I'll take that into consideration next time round. Might try using pictures of athletes to go from.
  • Why are you so afraid of drawing faces? Please draw them. Like FunFetus said, the shoulders could be wider, but I can't really tell how stylized you are going with this because it is so rough. Give her clothing and stuff like that in the cleaned up version. Also, her head+torso is much longer than the length of her legs. Her crotch should be at the halfway point of her body.
  • I will be posting the pencils of a reworking of the first page of my comic within the next week. People, please keep me to this.
    Here, I did a little explain-y overlay

@Li_Akahi: Still page 1? Hurry up!
  • Here, I did a little explain-y overlay

@Li_Akahi: Still page 1? Hurry up!
    I don't think those are hips...

Seriously though, the design sure has improved. I Do wonder on the practicality of that long hair in the wilderness ;-p.
  • I don't think those are hips...
    No? Why not?
  • I don't think those are hips...
    No? Why not?
    That's her wrist.
  • edited February 2009
    DUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRR. Don't be a dumbass.

Here I was all confused that I had drawn the hips really wrong or something...heehee.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • A drawing I made after thinking of idea about "steampunk-arm" instead of cyber-arm.
  • @Li_Akahi: Still page 1? Hurry up!
    I posted the original first page here a few months ago and found out that my biggest problem was with proportions. I decided to lay off drawing more pages until I took some figure drawing, I am now halfway through my figure drawing class and I think I have improved.
  • That image reminds me of one I made with photoshop many years ago. I just went looking for it, but it isn't on my laptop. However, looking back through old photoshop projects was my thing of the day. Thanks!