This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• I found the show via iTunes. Being isolated as I am about as far geographically from the FRC as possible while still being in the same country necessitated that.
    Heh, same thing happened to me - It was a few years ago, and I had only just got an ipod, so I searched iTunes for "Geek" and Geeknights came up.
  • Yep! I've been listening for about 2 years but finally decided to jump into the forums. That Rym guy sounds like such an elitist! Just kidding!
  • Rym's such an elitist that he prides himself on being one. It's kinda sad really.
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Rym's such an elitist that he prides himself on being one.
    If you're great, you should be proud of being great. ^_~

Also, there's a difference between elitism and having minimum standards.
  • So sad..
  • edited April 2010
    Also, there's a difference between elitism and having insane standards.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • If you're great, you should be proud of being great. ^_~

Also, there's a difference between elitism and havingminimum standards.
    Here is not the place but I more agree than disagree with this statement.
  • I found Geek Nights over the summer. I went to Connecticon and went to some of your panels and found them very informal.
    edited April 2010
    BEE-BOOBZ! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

also, you might want to double check the meanings of the words you choose
    Post edited by ... on
  • He could just mean that he found them informal. That's a positive quality, right?
  • No, I think he wanted to say "informative".
  • No, I think he wanted to say "informative".
    Yeah? Well I find your face very informal.
  • He could just mean that he found them informal. That's a positive quality, right?
    The chances of him actually having come here because he found Scrym to be informal in their presentations is so ridiculously slim compared to him having written the wrong word in some brainfart-moment that the thought is only funny in a Douglas Adams kind of way.
  • I found GeekNights through a search bar in the iPhone application "RSS Player", which I had bought because due to an extremely long day in cubicle life, I decided at that exact moment that I should start listening to some podcasts while I work. The RSS Player app allows you to download large podcasts over 3G that iTunes would force you to grab over wi-fi or through syncing, so that's why I went with it.

So anyway, I had simply searched for the word "geek", because hey why not. I figured it would result in podcasts full of like-minded people. I scoped out the first 10 or so results, and I probably would have glossed over GeekNights if not for the fact that there was an episode about PAX, and I was in the throes of pre-PAX East excitement buildup, so I HAD to listen. That's pretty much all there was to it.

I've only been listening to the gaming podcast up to this point, but I did check out the "life in NYC" one this past week, since my wife's career is taking off and now we're contemplating moving very close to if not into the city. (She works in television production, a hard field to break into, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was skeptical whether it would work out for her). In any case I enjoyed that podcast as well so I might check out some of the other nights as well from now on.
  • The way I found out about Geek Nights is in and of itself extremely lame but I found the podcast which I now enjoy on a daily basis so what the hey right?

It was at Anime Boston 2010 and I went in for a panel about comic artists and comic writers. After the panel was done, I noticed a whole gang of Team Rocket cosplayers lined up on the wall just outside the panel room and since I was in pokemon cosplay at the time too (I was Elite 4 member Aaron), I had to get a pic of that. I put my bags down and used my cell phone to take a picture. After I took the picture and walked away about 10 minutes later, I noticed THAT MY BADGE WAS GONE! I looked outside the area with the Rocket members and I couldn't find it so I decided to go back into the panel room and see if I left it on my seat, only problem was that the How to Run Your Anime Club panel with Rym and Scott was underway and the room was packed!

I stuck around for the duration of the panel and when it was over, I looked over the seats but still, no badge. Finally I went up to the front and grabbed Rym or Scott (sorry, don't remember which, probably Scott) before they shot out of the place (looked like they wanted to skedaddle) and asked if anyone brought a badge up to the front. No going there either sadly but while I was at the table, I grabbed a Geek Nights card and resumed my search. Unfortunately, I had to pony up another $50 for the con (fuck you AB!!!Grr!) but a few weeks afterwards, I decided to try out the podcast and the rest as they say is history.
  • Unfortunately, I had to pony up another $50 for the con (fuck you AB!!!Grr!)
    It's not AB's fault you lost your badge. Their no replacement policy is great, and it should be the policy at every con. Concerts, movie theaters, sporting events, broadway shows, etc. would all be much less forgiving of a lost ticket/stub. They probably wouldn't even let you buy a replacement. You would just be out on the street. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
  • edited May 2010
    Hey, yeah, thanks that's cool, I already know that but it's cool to repeat things right?
    Post edited by Outlaw Wolf on
  • Unfortunately, I had to pony up another $50 for the con (fuck you AB!!!Grr!)
    It's not AB's fault you lost your badge. Their no replacement policy is great, and it should be the policy at every con. Concerts, movie theaters, sporting events, broadway shows, etc. would all be much less forgiving of a lost ticket/stub. They probably wouldn't even let you buy a replacement. You would just be out on the street. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
    What if you know someone who can get you a free badge because of connections they might have?
  • found the podcast on iTunes while looking up science I think.. I can't remember what my search was...
  • i, like most of the people here found your podcast while looking for podcast your one of five i kept outta group.
  • I found Geeknights after watching the now legendary and somewhat infamous, "Anime You Should Know" and "Know Your Creator" panels at Otakon 2009.
  • I found Geeknights after watching the now legendary and somewhat infamous, "Anime You Should Know" and "Know Your Creator" panels at Otakon 2009.
    Oooohh. So, what did you think? ;^) I didn't realize they were infamous. Our only infamous panel was "Rape Glorification" (Gekiga ) at Otakon a few years prior.
    Oooohh. So, what did you think? ;^) I didn't realize they were infamous. Our only infamous panel was "Rape Glorification" (Gekiga ) at Otakon a few years prior.
    I still think that Rapeman was only holding that flower to that kitten because he was going to rape said kitten.
    Perhaps infamous is too strong a word but I felt it worked with how popular they are among the Geeknights fandom. I thought they were really good and agreed on many points in the "Anime you should know" panel. The "Know your creator" panel has also gotten me to actually pay attention to creators, studios and such as time has gone on, it tends to be a bigger help in finding similar anime than simply relying on genre.
  • It's been a real long time, but I believe it was an iTunes recommendation on the page for "The Greatest Movie Ever" podcast.
  • I learned about GeekNights by hearing about, but not attending, Rym and Scott's PAX East panels. I have since listened to all of 2009 and almost caught up to the present, sans most of the anime episodes.
  • Sir, your avatar wins the Internet and my black heart.
  • Sir, your avatar wins the Internet and my black heart.
    You know you can buy Metroid Hats right, Ryan?
  • But can you buy Metroid hats WITH a top hat?
  • But can you buy Metroid hats WITH a top hat?
    AND a tie?