This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did you find GeekNights?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I regularly listen to the ExtraLife Radio podcast which meant that I discovered Friday Night Party Line when they had Scott Johnson on as a guest earlier this year. It was a short hop from there to here. The excellent FNPL publishes less frequently than I'd prefer and seems to be occasionally rendered dormant. GeekNights' massive archives helped satiate a spontaneous attack of podcast gluttony on my part.
    Same story here as well.
    Post edited by Yaksha on
  • Same story here as well.
    Cool, I commend your excellent taste! Although I guess it does confirm that I'm not a beautiful, unique snowflake after all.
  • Same story here as well.
    Cool, I commend your excellent taste! Although I guess it does confirm that I'm not a beautiful, unique snowflake after all.
    In the effort of preserving beautiful, unique snowflakes, I'll admit that it was The Instance, and not ExtraLife Radio, that was my link to FNPL. ELR came shortly after I started listening to The Instance, but that's really neither here or there...
  • I saw the "advance wars" panel on the otakon schedule and figured I might as well go. I went, and had a good time with it, actually, partially just for the casual-ness of the discussion, which actually gets for some intelligent thought on the matter when in a crowd. In some sense, if some of the smaller panels had more time like that, I could find them more entertaining just for the simple common ground to speak on little niche things with during the convention that suit my interests, eh?

It's also ironic, however, that R.I.T. got brought up during said panel, because I had two-three months prior, made my decision to actually go there, which made for a funny coincidence as well. Given, now that I'm here, I totally see how very, very true the RIT geekiness is. Except, it's cooler than that. Very nice. I'm also hearing better things about the anime club which makes me want to give it a try, wheras originally I'd just passed it over because the size seemed sort of imposing to the tight-niche gathering my high school club always was.
  • If I recall correctly, I was first made aware of the show at a podcasting panel at Otakon '07, at which Anime World Order was also participating in. I subsequently went to the panels at NYAF last year.

Speaking of that Advance Wars panel, what was it like? It was billed as a workshop, but I'm not sure what that would entail. Was it more of an overview of the series?
  • Total randomness. I was browsing the itunes store for podcast I might like, and the name Geek Nights appealed to me.
  • Speaking of that Advance Wars panel, what was it like? It was billed as a workshop, but I'm not sure what that would entail.
    It wasn't a workshop. Otakon couldn't get enough quality panels/workshops, so we volunteered to run some extra panel programming in the workshop rooms that were otherwise empty. ^_~
  • how did i find geeknights that was a long time ago (even thought i just joined the forum) i think it was the anime world order advert that pulled me in
  • how did i find geeknights that was a long time ago (even thought i just joined the forum) i think it was the anime world order advert that pulled me in
    Wow. Not even the people we poke fun at for having bad spelling and grammar post this badly. o_o Um, welcome? We're always glad to see new folks around here, but please try to post coherently, or you may find yourself given a court martial in the future. At the very least, the rest of the forum will make fun of you.
  • Wow. Not even the people we poke fun at for having bad spelling and grammar postthisbadly. o_o Um, welcome? We're always glad to see new folks around here, but please try to post coherently, or you may find yourself given a court martial in the future. At the very least, the rest of the forum will make fun of
    Interesting..... you'd sooner give this new guy a Court Martial than she-who-will-not-be-named. We let her go on for longer than we should have.
  • edited September 2008
    Sorry, that wasn't clear. I didn't mean give him a court martial now; everyone deserves a chance. I meant that if, in continued posting, he doesn't change that writing style, there may be a court martial in his future.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Sorry about that I naturally have bad grammar. I naturally can't articulate my self in words very well but I see that Rym and Scott run a very tight ship around here and I will try my best to not be a fob
  • A fob you say?

Sorry about that I naturally have bad grammar. I naturally can't articulate my self in words very well but I see that Rym and Scott run a very tight ship around here and I will try my best to not be a fob
  • I was listening to Anime Pulse and they started talking about how Rym bashes them from time to time... so I'm like hummm geeknights, I should check them out. So I listen to one show and loved it. I too still listen to AP.
    Man, Anime Pulse is such a bad podcast. I just hate it how all their humor is derived on inside jokes, and is therefore a certainty that new listeners will become uncomfortable/turned off.
  • edited September 2008

A fob you say?

Sorry about that I naturally have bad grammar. I naturally can't articulate my self in words very well but I see that Rym and Scott run a very tight ship around here and I will try my best to not be a fob
    If anyone was actually wondering what fob meant, it means Fresh off the Boat.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Sorry about that I naturally have bad grammar. I naturally can't articulate my self in words very well but I see that Rym and Scott run a very tight ship around here and I will try my best to not be a fob
    That's a lot more gracious than a lot of other people with bad grammar have been in the past, so you've already got a good start. At least you've stated that you want to try. :)
    That's a lot more gracious than a lot of other people with bad grammar have been in the past, so you've already got a good start. At least you've stated that you want to try. :)
    I have no problem with trying to spell things right and all, but how come some people, like you, try so hard to enforce that? Don't take this in a bad way, I'm just wondering where all this righteousness comes from and why. Actually it's been pretty good for me, in less then a week of posting in this forum I almost don't need to use the spell check. And English is my second language.
    edited October 2008
    I have no problem with trying to spell things right and all, but how come some people, like you, try so hard to enforce that? Don't take this in a bad way, I'm just wondering where all this righteousness comes from and why. Actually it's been pretty good for me, in less then a week of posting in this forum I almost don't need to use the spell check. And English is my second language.
    You are on the internet, you are on a forum, the internet is not restrained to English-speaking countries only, and the only way of communicating on this forum is by text. By using proper grammar and correct spelling it's easier for everyone to understand you, thus making your points easier to discuss. Plus, it makes you look smarter than a 15 year old punk kid who can only spell 'pwn' and has a nigh perfect understanding of the proper exclamation mark (!) to one (1) ratio for any given sentence.

I too have English as my second language, and let me tell you this. It's satisfying to point out to a native English speaker his spelling and grammar errors.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I too have English as my second language, and let me tell you this. It's satisfying to point out a native English speaker his spelling and grammar errors.
    You're evil.
  • how come some people, like you, try so hard to enforce that?
    I find it much more pleasant to read a well thought out, structured and fluent post.
  • I too have English as my second language, and let me tell you this. It's satisfying to point out a native English speaker his spelling and grammar errors.
    You're evil.
    Awesomely evil! XD
  • You're evil.
    You're welcome to have that opinion. It would make my grand introduction after taking over the world much easier. Now, seeing as you already consider me to be evil, let us make arrangements, do you prefer to have your brain eaten, or bathe in acid? Personally I'd prefer it if you would choose the former, mindless minions are always in short supply when one would think otherwise. You see, with the number of humans on this world, one would think there are enough blonde brainless bimbos by now, but sadly no. They still cling to this thing called 'fashion'. :\
  • edited October 2008
    Actually it's been pretty good for me, in less thenthan a week of posting in this forum I almost don't need to use the spell check. And English is my second language.
    It's satisfying to point out to a native English speaker his/her spelling and grammar errors.
    Yes, the last was not a spelling / grammar error, but it was an important correction nonetheless.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    edited October 2008
    Yes, the last was not a spelling / grammar error, but it was an important correction nonetheless.
    I wanted to put it in at first. Then I realized I haven't had the pleasure of correcting a girl's spelling or grammar. And thanks for the 'to'. Changing a sentence halfway without going back and fixing it all equals fail.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    Then I realized I haven't had the pleasure of correcting a girl's spelling or grammar.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    edited October 2008
    Then I realized I haven't had the pleasure of correcting a girl's spelling or grammar.
    You've missed many of those. :p And if you wish to continue correcting me, could you please start using valid xhtml? The font tag is deprecated you know.

EDIT: On that note, perhaps the text at the top of the forum should be changed to: "Use valid xhtml, this isn't Geocities.".
    Post edited by ... on
  • You're evil.
    You're welcome to have that opinion. It would make my grand introduction after taking over the world much easier. Now, seeing as you already consider me to be evil, let us make arrangements, do you prefer to have your brain eaten, or bathe in acid? Personally I'd prefer it if you would choose the former, mindless minions are always in short supply when one would think otherwise. You see, with the number of humans on this world, one would think there are enough blonde brainless bimbos by now, but sadly no. They still cling to this thing called 'fashion'. :\
    Blonds yes, I like them. Send them all to me, to me hu hu ha ha (the spell check doesn't allow evil laughter I see, weird thing when surrounded by evilness). I don't care if you take my brain, just leave my heads, with the blonds.
  • When you take over the world, am I still gonna have my girlfriend? Because in that case, don't send the blonds, but still take my brain, she won't miss it. I just have to obey anyway. Lol.
  • I first listened to the Tarn Adams interview by itself, which I found via the Dwarf Fortress forum. Sometime later, I returned to the site to download it again, and noticed an Advance Wars show, which I listened to.
    After that I spent some time looking through the archives and keeping an eye on the new releases for interesting topics, but over the past summer, I just started listening to every episode.