This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Atomic Trivia War 9000: The Podcast: The Game

Comments

• A sonic boom next to your ear, and you're done.
    If there is a sonic boom of any significant size next to your ear, I think you have more pressing problems than hearing loss.
  • A sonic boom next to your ear, and you're done.
    If there is a sonic boom of any significant size next to your ear, I think you have more pressing problems than hearing loss.
    The pressure wave alone would liquefy your lungs.
  • When background music works:
    a. when it is specially composed or chosen to reflect an enhance the mood or emotions or themes of the content it is accompanying.
    b. no other times.
    That's a little uncharitable, case in point Mike Dent's Friday ACE podcast. It's a podcast about Japanese Pop culture and is really good. Also, while the Daft Punk that plays in the background does not nessesairly reflect the mood, it does add to the kenetic feel of the podcast as a whole. However, his podcast is highly scripted and I agree that the music detracts from the natural flow in ATW9K as there is more than one "speed" to the conversation (also, it's a conversation and not one man talking into a microphone, diffrent feels that's all I'm sayin'). I think that if you want to spice up the show with some music, then you can choose some "Theme Music" for the bits. For example, if IMDB Bingo can be "Ride of the Valkaries" or Bidding War can start with some relevent sound clip from The Simpsons or something like that. I think that could be pretty cool.
  • The pressure wave alone would liquefy your lungs.
    It's very similar to explosives - It's not the fireball that gets you, it's the compression wave going out ahead of it.
  • edited January 2011
    The pressure wave alone would liquefy your lungs.
    It's very similar to explosives - It's not the fireball that gets you, it's the compression wave going out ahead of it.
    (Edit:In case you didn't know, you should read this. All of it.)
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That's nice and all, but it's bad for your hearing. Well, maybe not with waves and birds, they aren't too loud.
    Yeah, who would have thought it? Scott is taking specific examples and applying them with broad brushes to the entire world. And then backtracking. Going for a walk around the deck of a ship while listening to a podcast is going to damage my hearing in no way at all.
  • Enjoyed this episode. Background music was distracting though.
  • I'm afraid to use noise canceling headphones due to the fact that that I'm accident prone.
  • I'm afraid to use noise canceling headphones due to the fact that that I'm accident prone.
    "Don't you know what a falling bunch of bananas can do to a man??"
  • edited January 2011
    I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all the banana jokes I have made at Omar's expense. (And all the ones I will undoubtedly continue to make.) I recognize that Costa Rica is a proud nation with a long and storied history, and that bananas, while delicious, do not characterize the country or its indefatigable spirit.

Noble patria tu hermosa bandera, expresión de tu vida nos da!
    Post edited by Jason on
  • LOL, like I'd take offense on it. Thing is banana IS one of our top exports, with coffee and pineapples.
  • If you guys want, you can make fun of my Filipino heritage. I enjoy a good Flip joke. :P Afterall we are sea spics.
  • Wow. 0.0
    I'm not touching that with a 3,000-mile pole.
  • Wow. 0.0
    I'm not touching that with a 3,000-mile pole.
    Yeah, I know that was bad. Ok, you can say we're duck fetus eating peoples.
    Why does that symbol kind of look like a vagina?
  • I'm also on the wagon of not being a fan of the music. It does add to it somewhat, but I've found that for the most part, music only works when it's just one person talking. Conversations do not work as well.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah, I know that was bad. Ok, you can say we're duck fetus eating peoples.
    Hey, Those duck fetuses are fucking tasty. No, I'm not kidding.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm listening to older episodes now, at least those available on iTunes, and I would have totally nailed #11 on the GameFAQs top NES games. River City Ransom of course.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm 75 percent finished editing this week's episode, but I'm having trouble. Ro, how much of the Snowjob conversation do you think I can legally leave in there? Also, I would like to formally apologize to the following groups: The Japanese, Italians, the mentally handicapped, and mothers.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited January 2011
    I'm 75 percent finished editing this week's episode, but I'm having trouble. Ro, how much of the Snowjob conversation do you think I can legally leave in there?
    We had a conversation about a snowjob?

I am trying to recall, but I honestly can't remember right now.

And just by the name of it, I can only imagine how bad the conversation was.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • ATW9K #16 — Omar’s Snowjob Adventure (or The Two Ros Show)

We’re back with 100 percent more listener-submitted questions! Submit your own to the gang at atw9k@simplysyndicated.com.

This week, we’re joined by Ro Karen of Starbase 66. She helps us go for movie trilogies in our Bidding War, then examine Rolling Stone’s top 500 songs in the Rank and File game. She also does passingly fair in the Hot Seat with a Star Trek category, considering that she hosts a Star Trek podcast.

Also in the Hot Seat, Omar talks Mario, Kevin hearkens back to G.I. Joe: The Move (from 1987), and Ro has a category that is NOT Sex and the City. Of course, we also play some IMDB Bingo.
  • Thank GOD it's not the one with the Disney category. Seriously. Hide that one away.
  • Thank GOD it's not the one with the Disney category. Seriously. Hide that one away.
    Oh really, DO TELL.
    Oh really, DO TELL.
    No, that's quite alright. Trust me, you don't want to know.
  • WHAT!!!!! IN THE EXTENSIVE DISCUSSION OF THE TRILOGIES, NOT ONE PERSON MENTIONED THE GODFATHER TRILOGY!!!
  • edited January 2011
    WHAT!!!!! IN THE EXTENSIVE DISCUSSION OF THE TRILOGIES, NOT ONE PERSON MENTIONEDTHE GODFATHERTRILOGY!!!
    But there are only two Godfather movies, how can it be a trilogy? You confuse me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • No, that's quite alright. Trust me, you don't want to know.
    At this point, when it comes to you and the ATW9K Disney questions, I be trollin.'
  • edited January 2011
    OH, Godfather Trillogy, I didn't remember that either. It would have been a lot more of a mindbender to think of ones that ONLY have 3 movies, as most have many more revisits and sequels. An prequels. And Godfather would have been a good one for that! Does the "Man WIth No Name" Trillogy count?
    Post edited by TorontoKev on
  • I, for one, would welcome a Godfather remake if it were approached with appropriate respect.
  • Jason, please circle the most appropriate answer:

A. remake
    B. sequel
    C. prequel
    D. reboot
    E. special edition re release
    F. 3D theatrical release