This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I don't know how much oil I put in exactly. A little goes a long way. Let's say you're cooking 2 chicken breasts, I would put in about a teaspoon or two. My mom would do as little as she can. Also please note that the meat will stick to the pan, that's normal, just let it cook more and it will unstick. There will be stuff left behind, that will eventually become the sauce.

Scott, there are several ways to make stir fry. Pick one that works for you.
  • I just make fried rice, it's easier. :P
  • Not really...
  • Japanese fried rice is so easy.
  • You basically skip the making sauce step. You just fry the rice with things.
  • edited July 2012
    The sauce is made automatically. Making fried rice is basically another version of stir fry.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Rym's best fried rice.

1. Old, somewhat dry refrigerator rice
    2. Hot nonstick pan with canola oil, touch of sesame oil, just under the smoke point.
    3. Fry that rice for a while.
    4. Dump scallions in, fry for a bit
    5. Dump butter and garlic in, fry for a bit
    6. Crack an egg or two in, fry until egg is mixed around and cooked.
    7. Dump sesame seeds, more sesame oil in, fry for a little bit.
    8. Dump soy sauce in, stir about, remove from heat.
    9. Eat it all.
  • Eeyup. Also, substitute ginger-soy sauce for the soy in step #8 for some magic!
  • When I went to eat pho with a Vietnamese person a few weeks ago, I found out I'd been eating it all wrong. The main thing I was doing wrong was the lack of the tasty sauce you're supposed to make. Add to taco meats and you've got extra tasty foods for a week.

Vietnamexican Tacos:
    2lbs ground beef
    2 cups rice
    2 cans refried pinto beans
    salsa
    sauce

Sauce*:
    1 part Hoisin sauce
    2 parts Sriacha
    .5 part chili garlic sauce
    1 lime
    *adjust spicy things to taste

Fry them tortillas for maximum tasty.
    You know what veggies and shit you want on there.
  • In the process of thinking up chimicherrychongas. I know others have made them, but I want to make my own flair on them.
  • I'm gonna try to make spaghetti sauce from ground turkey breast instead of ground beef. It's like 99% fat free, I don't know how it'll turn out. I'll probably substitute some olive oil to make up for the lack of beef fat.
  • Cook it less in the pan and more in the sauce. That's my advice.
  • Just get a large dutch oven and just one pot it.
  • Made Chicken Livers (or any kind of offal) for the first time today. Made it with my girlfriends suggestion, slice with bite-sized pieces on medium heat, seared for about 5 minutes total, and simmered in white wine. Made with it with broccoli bhaji.

Was good. Much more bready than I expected. Worked well with the rice, which was cooked in my own homemade chicken stock. Definitely needs a sauce or heavier, stronger seasoning to really shine though. I still love my muscle meats though~
  • Arugula Soup. So good and it also gave me a reason to use my new immersion blender!
  • My turkey breast sauce came out eh. It didn't taste bland, just not as flavorful as beef.
  • Gonna make me some Chick-Fil-Gay sammiches.
  • Made some steak and asparagus last night.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBbq3Bq
  • That face at the end of that picture set is the face I made.
  • Filipino Fruit salad, perfect for a hot summer day.

2 cans 25+oz Fruit Cocktail
    1 small can of condensed milk
    1 small tub 16 oz of Sour Cream
    4 jars of various Filipino style jellies. Image below.

Basically drain the fruit cocktail as well as the jars of jellies very well. Combine it all in a bowl. Add sour cream and stir. Then add condensed milk. Depending upon how sweet you want it, just add spoonfuls at a time then taste. I normally just use 1/2 a can. Chill for about an hour and serve.

It will look like this:

While the presentation looks ok, it's so delicious. I may just try using real fruit next time. We did add fresh blueberries to this batch and it turned out really well.
  • Your barbecue is pretty tiny-cute. I like it. Though, I understand you're lacking in space for a proper one.
  • There was a website which shipped fantastic looking spices posted in this thread a while back but I can't seem to find it. I'm looking to get some top of the line vanilla beans to put into a beer I'm brewing.
  • Kung Pao Chicken

Spend Grain bread from brewing (chocolate malt/black malt/dark crystal)
  • I didn't take any pictures, but last night I bought some generic bacon (Oscar Meyer has already increased their price to $7/lb on news of the "shortage"), fried the entire pound, crumbled it and mixed it into a vodka sauce over penne with some Italian sausage... oh my god. All it needed was some prosciutto and capers.

I fried the sausage in the bacon fat which made them taste awesome, but also extra slippery. When I was transferring them to the cutting board, one skittered off and slid a full 15 feet across the kitchen floor, between the two dogs, and into a corner. I rinsed it in the sink and fried it a few extra minutes. Pfah, like I'm throwing out Perri's sausages. Not likely.
  • My turkey breast sauce came out eh. It didn't taste bland, just not as flavorful as beef.
    I know this is 3 months old, but next time try adding just a shant of lard and maybe a few tablespoons of beef broth. Ground beef is fucking expensive right now.
  • Dat Kung Pao has some nice color.
    Could be the camera, but yes, it looks great.

Photos taken with my Android make my front yard look like the chocolate river scene in Willy Wonka, everything gets super saturated.
    Yay! That's my new camera! :D

• edited October 2012
    My turkey breast sauce came out eh. It didn't taste bland, just not as flavorful as beef.
    I know this is 3 months old, but next time try adding just a shant of lard and maybe a few tablespoons of beef broth. Ground beef is fucking expensive right now.
    Well the whole point of using turkey breast was to cut the saturated fat. I gave up on that and now I just buy the meatloaf mix meat. Ground beef, pork and veal for $4 a pound.
    Post edited by George Patches on