This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Hockey Thread

Comments

• Going to my first hockey game tonight. I'm a bit excited. Center ice, but in row 16. Still not shabby. I'll tweet various things from there.
  • Just got back from the UMASS v. BU game were we actually won 5-1, which is shocking since UMASS never wins, let alone shutting the other team down. The crowd was bonkers too.
  • That's an understandable mistake, with the ref pretty much directly behind Huskins and the way his head snapped on the hit.
  • edited February 2013
    The refs fucking suck. Take this for example:

Erskine received no penalty for that bullshit despite a ref from one side and a linesman from the other directly looking at the incident. He will receive a suspension though I assume.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • NHL is usually really good with replay. That have that whole system where they call up Toronto on the phone, and the same people look at everything. They should really start using it to look at some penalties in addition to goals.
  • So yeah. I like watching hockey. I will try to go to more Thunderbird games, even though they aren't so great. I really enjoyed how the fans were heckling the other team and refs, especially when they chanted "Portland sucks!" during The Hey Song.

It also inspired me to watch Mystery, Alaska and Miracle over the weekend.
  • The only two hockey movies you need to see are Goon and Slap Shot.
  • edited February 2013
    Eh, Mystery and Miracle are both good movies, the latter actually being in my opinion a great one. There's also Youngblood which has somewhat of a cult status for hockey fans because it includes phrases like "Tea with Ms. McGill" and the sort. The Rocket: The Legend of Rocket Richard is also a very good movie, about the same as Miracle I'd say (though I've only seen it once, years ago).

Also, since we are on the topic, Rob Zombie is planning to make a movie about the Broad Street Bullies and visited the Flyers yesterday for research. Not sure what to think of it yet.
  • I actually looked up when the Flyers traded with every other team recently. The interesting result was that the Flyers haven't traded with the Habs since 2003 (I actually thought it was 1997), not with the Sens since the 90's, and not with the Devils since 1986. That trade involved a certain Glenn "Chico" Resch, who I think is mostly responsible.
  • The Bruins have traded Tim Thomas to the New York Islanders.
  • edited February 2013
    The Islanders are truly the reclamation project drain on the NHL. They have almost no players from free agent signings or trades. Almost every player they have is either a draft pick of theirs or a waiver claim.

Just checked. 11 draft picks, 6 waiver claims, 8 free agent signings and 2 players acquired in trades, neither of which have played a game for the Islanders (Thomas and Visnovsky), make up the Islanders roster currently listed on Wikipedia.
  • Isn't Tim Thomas the tea party nutter? I don't even know if the Islanders deserve him. Islanders used to be a hated rival team right up there with Jets and Yankees, but now I truly just pity them. I somewhat hope they have a slight resurgence when they move to the new arena.
  • He is. Thomas took the year off for "friends, family and faith" or something like this. Everyone assumes he is in some bunker dining on food rations.

Also, jesus christ are the Capitals a clusterfuck. Tonight's bullet points against the Penguins:
    Score after the 1st: 1-0 Caps.
    Score after the 2nd: 5-1 Pens.
    Neuvirth: 9 saves on 11 shots in ~33 minutes, got pulled after the 2nd Pens goal.
    Holtby: 8 saves on 11 shots in <8 minutes.
  • He is. Thomas took the year off for "friends, family and faith" or something like this. Everyone assumes he is in some bunker dining on food rations.
    He also refused to meet President Obama after winning the Stanley Cup for crazy Tea Party BS reasons.

I'm grateful for what he did for the Bruins when he played here, but his replacement, Tuuka Rask, is also quite good and much younger. Long term, this probably was the best thing for the Bruins to do.
  • edited February 2013
    Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers' non-lockout salary is 12 million this year, plus a 10 million dollar signing bonus. He's a healthy scratch against the Islanders tonight. I guess a Calder Trophy for rookie of the year goes a long way.
  • This photo.

• Hey Dave, do you like the Ducks?

• That's hilarious. So when does hockey normally air on tv? Any specific days?
  • That's hilarious. So when does hockey normally air on tv? Any specific days?
    Every day different teams play at night. Weekends have a few afternoon games. Each team plays two to three games per week depending on their schedule.

In high school In the late 90s I would watch the Ranger games before bed during the week.
  • edited February 2013
    Matt Cooke managed to take out yet another star player, just this time it was probably not intentionally, just really stupid and reckless.

Cut Achilles tendon. Surgery scheduled. Karlsson is out indefinitely.

Also, Steigerwald and Errey are still as dumb as ever. Guy gets carried off the ice and the first thing they talk about is how he was suspended last year.
  • Just for the first 24 seconds or so
  • Start music, watch gif: