This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• It's popular in my mouth.
  • I wish it was popular here in the US... Poutine and beer, I would become a beast
    There is a Poutine place in Philadelphia its starting to make its way around.
  • edited March 2013
    There's a couple in Seattle.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • The Steelhead Diner has it and there is a place over by the Space Needle called The 5 Point cafe that also has it. There may be others but that was all I could find.

My aunt, uncle, and cousins live in Toronto and we went to their cabin at one point and they took us to this lakefront diner that had poutine. This was back when I was like 14 or so. I didn't know what it was called and was trying to remember on occasion what that stuff was called. Listening to Dave and Joel one day they mentioned poutine and I thought it was some crazy protein food. Looked it up and holy fuck my long lost love had returned to me. So then I started looking around Seattle to see if I could find it.
  • edited March 2013
    Oh also the Terrible Beauty (there's a West Seattle, Lake Union, and Renton location) that has it. We go to the West Seattle one almost every Thursday for trivia nights so I've had the poutine there. Honestly theirs was kinda shit since they try and put some bullshit Irish spin on all their food, but if you ate it you would sort of get the idea I suppose.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • There is only one place near me that purports to sell Poutine but it didn't past muster of a few Cannucks I've spoken to who have eaten there. I'm passing, waiting for better things.
  • I suppose after lurking for about two years, I ought to become more involved and introduce myself, shall I?

My name is Lacey Case. I'm a 25-year-old registered nurse in Kansas City midway through my master's degree. I usually go by "Aiya" or "Aiyakiu," online, although I sometimes go by "Kumicon" if I want to disassociate myself from my weak online presence. I work in a hospital doing routine nursing care and patient education.
    I've been a nerd for my entire life -- at the age of ten, I taught myself rudimentary HTML, Javascript, and CSS so I could design myself a decent website. I never grew from being "the relatively competent kid in computers," as my entire family was against me pursuing computer sciences. I always say I'm of the level "that I'm just smart enough that I can be a danger to myself." So I wound up in healthcare.

I'm an avid anime fan with a very basic knowledge of Japanese (I keep telling myself I will seriously sit down and study it, but so far I become distracted with many other things). A few of my favorite series include Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Code Geass, and Sword Art Online. I acknowledge the older classics, but I tend to cycle through what my "favorite," is. Though, I'm ashamed to admit, I have not been through an entire run of Ghost in the Shell as of yet.

I write and draw in my spare time (my DeviantART, which is a sad blight upon humanity is http://aiyakiu.deviantart.com). I've done a couple sad little webcomics. I mostly deal in fantasy and sci fi novel writings, though I haven't published anything.

I am a moderate gamer. My current obsession is Minecraft, but I will clock in hundreds of hours in every generation of Pokemon. Skyrim, the Mass Effect series, and... *shudders* Final Fantasy XIII have been my latest playgrounds.
    I'm married to a major gamer and Western media nerd. I, unfortunately, don't get a lot of time with the XBox because of this.

I've been to my local anime convention a few times (Naka-kon) and have cosplayed once or twice.
    I have multiple hobbies and interests but it just doesn't seem like I have enough time for them all.
    I've listened to Geeknights since college, so... I'd say I've listened about six years? I really enjoy listening to you guys, and your podcast helps out tremendously on my hour-long commutes.
  • Word.
  • I may be your closest active forum neighbor in Columbia.
  • My best friend used to live in Columbia. I have wandered around the city for a while but all I can remember is that liquored slushie place and Chipole. OH AND FUDDRUCKERS. I miss Fuddruckers so much but the one in our area closed years ago. Someone needs to fix that problem.
    It's good to know there are other Missourians around!
  • You're talking about Trops/Tropical Liquors. I came here for college after living in STL and ended up stuck. So it goes.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm a 33 years old and live in Atlanta, GA. In my real life I'm a web developer and work full time for the government in public health. On the internet I host a comedy podcast with my best friend where we riff on the news, space, comics, and other geeky topics (http://fridayafterworkpodcast.com). I've been listening to the podcast and lurking on the forum for a long time.
    Post edited by fawpodcast on
  • Hello folks,

My name is Wesley, but I commonly go by the username Forte on this internet here (I had a more juvenile username for the longest time, but I'm trying to transition out of that). I'm 23 years old, married, currently living and working in South Korea as - you guessed it - a teacher. But since my degree was actually in Cross-Cultural Studies with a specialization in TESOL and I'm working towards a CA teaching credential, I feel more justified in my career path.

I'm a guy with many geeky interests, not the least of which are tokusatsu and video games. I enjoy my iPod Touch, iPad, Nintendo DS and 3DS, and... well, those are pretty much all I play these days. The more I listen to this site's podcast, the more interested I get in board games. I also like reading and writing, but I mostly stick to non-fiction. And... well, as far as anime and manga go, I've pretty much fallen out of the fandom. Nothing seems to grab my interest anymore.

I made a short film once. It was for my university's film festival, and I won two awards for it. So I kind of have an interest in film now...?

I listened to the podcast a lot back in 2006-2007, but pretty much gave up on most hobbies and interests when I went to college in 2008. Now that I've graduated, I felt the call to listen to the podcast again and delve back into the archive of shows I missed. It's been really enjoyable to go back to the beginning and start anew, and I hope I can contribute some discussion to this community.
  • Oh mans. The forum's picking up steam. ;^)
    Right when the forum is going to be dead for half a week. :P
    You mean when the forum is going to be ruled by Europeans and poor people who cannot afford cons.

You mean when the forum is going to be ruled by Europeans and poor people who cannot afford cons.

Or the cool kids going to ZENKAIKON!

• Hello, my name is RAJ, and no, I'm not Indian -- at least that type of Indian. I'm 18 for anyone who cares. My geekeries include: comics, on both the reading and creative side, although I suck; anime/manga, ... although I'm broke; and video games, although I'm jaded at just about everything, except for like two indie games, which I enjoy for like five minutes, and then I'm jaded again. I'd like to get in to board games and role playing, but I live in Georgia, and other than fawpodcast up there, I'm sure, and maybe like three other people definitely not in my area, Georgia is populated complete and totally by an abundance -- and I dare say an over abundance-- of assholes, and I can't wait to move the hell out of here and join many of you fine individuals in the city-- although I must.

I'd like to go to The Center of Cartoon Studies, but to go there and become great and blossom into a beautiful comic making butterfly, you must be a somewhat respectable cocoon, and right now I'm more of a ragged bunch of sheets with a writhing caterpillar in the middle. (I'm pretty good at writing, but I only recently started trying to learn how to draw, maybe like less than a month ago) If anyone could offer up any helpful -- and free-- guides to drawing in super cartoon-y fashion, (think, Yoshihiro Tatsumi, Shigeru Mizuki, and to name someone not Japanese, Seth [who goes by a one name pseudonym]) the looking out for your fellow geek would be highly appreciated.
  • Hello, my name is RAJ, and no, I'm not Indian -- at least that type of Indian. I'm 18 for anyone who cares. My geekeries include: comics, on both the reading and creative side, although I suck; anime/manga, ... although I'm broke; and video games, although I'm jaded at just about everything, except for like two indie games, which I enjoy for like five minutes, and then I'm jaded again. I'd like to get in to board games and role playing, but I live in Georgia, and other than fawpodcast up there, I'm sure, and maybe like three other people definitely not in my area, Georgia is populated complete and totally by an abundance -- and I dare say an over abundance-- of assholes, and I can't wait to move the hell out of here and join many of you fine individuals in the city-- although I must.

I'd like to go to The Center of Cartoon Studies, but to go there and become great and blossom into a beautiful comic making butterfly, you must be a somewhat respectable cocoon, and right now I'm more of a ragged bunch of sheets with a writhing caterpillar in the middle. (I'm pretty good at writing, but I only recently started trying to learn how to draw, maybe like less than a month ago) If anyone could offer up any helpful -- and free-- guides to drawing in super cartoon-y fashion, (think, Yoshihiro Tatsumi, Shigeru Mizuki, and to name someone not Japanese, Seth [who goes by a one name pseudonym]) the looking out for your fellow geek would be highly appreciated.
    Welcome to the ivory tower.

So you say you like comics. Are you talking underwear pervert comics, japanamanga or pretentious, "Graphic Literature"? Who/What do you read?
  • What could ordain the diamond encrusted halls of an ivory tower more appropriately than graphic literature, sir? Other than manga not about constantly punching people in the face, of course.

As for the lovely and talented individuals I've read and kind of hated not being recently:
    Scott Mccloud, I just finished Making Comics, without having read either of his two earlier works in the same style, though I plan to go back and pick them up soon.

I loved two out of the three comics I've read by Gene Luen Yang, and the one I wasn't super hot on at least had super cute slug aliens in it, so that was okay.

I read Vampire Loves by Joann Sfar, and it was weird, but a kind of low, down--yet really always up tempo kind of weird.

And as for manga: Bakuman Vol. 2, and GTO Vol. 5 or 6. (It was kind of a while ago)

I'd like to say I've read some more web comics, as in any, but I tried getting in to them (again) the other day, only to confirm my inability to cope with generally how slowly and satisfyingly they update; or as it is with strips, rarely find any jokes funny/ scratch my head at all the unfunny to an outside viewer inside jokes; (unlike a lot of the one's volleyed between Rym and Scott for some reason); I mean, under the circumstance that I ever knew what the fuck the guy who makes it was referencing, Gun Show might be my favorite web comic ever, but eh.

So what other comics besides either of the rad Adventure Time Comics do you read?
  • Hello all!

I registered a little while ago and forgot to introduce myself. Name is Katie, I'm a 3rd-year Electrical Engineering student studying at RIT and brought here countless times by a chunk of the RIT crew on this forum. I've been lurking around for a little after meeting a few of you at PAX East and getting introduced to Android: Netrunner. I've dabbled in most of the typical Geek Arts at this point but my current centers of focus include general PC gaming (loved Skyrim, just finished up Bioshock Infinite), trying to forgive Japanime for how bad it is every season, and vacation-centered comic/manga/graphic novel binges.

I'll admit I haven't really listened much to the podcast or general Geek Nights content, but I'm glad to join you all nonetheless and will probably be trying to fix this issue sometime soon.

I tend to be a bit of a lurker since I haven't been forum-oriented in years. That said, I love a good online community! I'll try and work on my participation factor.

Nice to meet you all!
  • I'll admit I haven't really listened much to the podcast or general Geek Nights content, but I'm glad to join you all nonetheless and will probably be trying to fix this issue sometime soon.
    Remember, the order is
    1. Join the forums.
    2. Discover that it's actually a podcast.
    3. Listen to the podcast for 3 weeks to a year.
    4. Stop listening because Scott/Rym have dumb opinions.
    5. Tell everyone here that you've stopped listening, but would still like to hang out on the forums.
  • Remember, the order is
    1. Join the forums.
    2. Discover that it's actually a podcast.
    3. Listen to the podcast for 3 weeks to a year.
    5. Tell everyone here that you've stopped listening, but would still like to hang out on the forums.
    I though it was.
    1. Discover the podcast and listen to it.
    2. Join the forums.
    3. Keep listening.
    5. Tell everyone here that you've stopped listening, but still hang out on the forums.

• No joke, there's maybe five to ten people(including myself) out of the thirty or so regulars around here that still regularly listen. Maybe another ten or so that tune in when something interests them.
  • I listen to every episode for the "banter" but sometimes skip the main bit if it's a tech show, but that's ok.

I wish they would just review more stuff really, like, the new Hobbit movie, or more ARNOLD movies, or more older awesome games like 4-Swords, you know, stuff this generation may not have played.

Wrong thread. I go now.

• I wish they would just review more stuff really, like, the new Hobbit movie, or more ARNOLD movies, or more older awesome games like 4-Swords, you know, stuff this generation may not have played.
    I concur.

• You think my generation hasn't played Four Swords? Wow, you've become an out of touch old person in the weirdest way.
  • edited April 2013
    I wish they would just review more stuff really, like, the new Hobbit movie, or more ARNOLD movies, or more older awesome games like 4-Swords, you know, stuff this generation may not have played.
    I concur.
    Four swords is only 9 years old. How young is "this generation" that they didn't have the chance to play it?

Dear god, I suddenly feel very old.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I had Atari 2600 and grew up with NES and also 16-bit systems. While I was in college, there were kids a few years younger than me who grew up with the Playstation as their primary system, and never had 16-bit systems or NES.