This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• Assuming you're talking to me (being a dev who is a dev), I'm doing pretty awesome.

Your icon looks like a drawing of my cousin, who is the person who most often calls me "dev" in real life, so I admit I was a little bit confused in the middle of all the awesome. People can call me dev if they want. Whatevs.
  • I'm Australian, that means you get a Nickname. Good to hear you're getting on alright, welcome to the forums.
  • Thanks Churba!
  • Hi there food. Welcome, there's a seat on the table for you. Have an apple.
  • edited June 2012
    Don't worry, we haven't actually caught him eating anyone. People have gone missing before, though...
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • [The second you try to take a bite of that apple, I'm knocking it out of your hand and then telling you to watch where you're going.]
  • Don't worry, we haven't actually caught him eating anyone. People have gone missing before, though...
    Just look away wi--OH LOOK THERE, CHEESE!
  • Are you the Antiscott? What is your opinion of Star Trek?
  • Are you the Antiscott? What is your opinion of Star Trek?
    My opinion of Star Trek is the best opinion.
  • Hey guys! Name's Pat. Old listener, I was on here before but didn't say too much. Studying mechanical engineering at Penn State, at the moment. Been listening for quite a while, five or so years, maybe? Actually found you guys through a different podcast, which I believe stopped some time ago (Anime Utahime, I think?).

Finally buckled and decided to stop being "under the radar." I felt like I was being called out on my non-social-ness. So hello everyone! Nice to meet you all! I'm also going to MAGfest, since I'm living not 30 minutes away from the con for the holidays. Might run into some of you folks, I hear it's a big event around these waters?
  • Hey guys! Name's Pat. Old listener, I was on here before but didn't say too much. Studying mechanical engineering at Penn State, at the moment. Been listening for quite a while, five or so years, maybe? Actually found you guys through a different podcast, which I believe stopped some time ago (Anime Utahime, I think?).

Finally buckled and decided to stop being "under the radar." I felt like I was being called out on my non-social-ness. So hello everyone! Nice to meet you all! I'm also going to MAGfest, since I'm living not 30 minutes away from the con for the holidays. Might run into some of you folks, I hear it's a big event around these waters?
    Congratulations on emerging from your tin-foil (and thus radar-resistant) shell! MAGfest is indeed "kind of a big deal" among many of the forum inhabitants; I've never gone myself but folks here seem excited about it. Hope you have fun!
  • Hello, my name is Matt. I am new to the forum.
    I am 29 and live in Auburn, a suburb of Seattle WA. I have been a listener of the podcast since PAX Prime 2010 and the Game Theory lecture. It has been many years since I have been active in a forum and am hoping I can keep up with everyone.

I am a truck driver by trade. Which is actually pretty awesome because I have at least 8 accumulative hours a day to listen to audiobooks and podcasts. I enjoy board games, pen and paper roleplaying, and most types of video games (PC only), as well as a few non geekery hobbies.

I look forward to slowly getting to know everyone in the future.
  • edited February 2013
    You're a board gamer? In Auburn? I live in Federal Way.

Edit: Welcome. We should hang out. My boyfriend and I are avid board gamers along with PC gamers.

Do you play Netrunner? If you do. WOOHOO!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • You're a board gamer? In Auburn? I live in Federal Way.
    Oh I didn't realize you lived in Federal Way, I thought you lived in Tacoma or something. My girlfriend grew up in Federal Way and her mom still lives there.
  • Do you play Netrunner? If you do. WOOHOO!
    Unfortunately you will have to pull that WooHoo back in. The first I heard of it was the GN podcast. I like the concept behind it. Though I don't think it is something that I would actually purchase.

On hanging out: I have a pretty full schedule right now with current recurring commitments for my time. But if that changes in the future I would love to kick it. As only a "low" level board gamer, I am sure you would have tons to teach me.
  • Hello, my name is Matt. I am new to the forum.
    I am 29 and live in Auburn, a suburb of Seattle WA. I have been a listener of the podcast since PAX Prime 2010 and the Game Theory lecture. It has been many years since I have been active in a forum and am hoping I can keep up with everyone.

I am a truck driver by trade. Which is actually pretty awesome because I have at least 8 accumulative hours a day to listen to audiobooks and podcasts. I enjoy board games, pen and paper roleplaying, and most types of video games (PC only), as well as a few non geekery hobbies.

I look forward to slowly getting to know everyone in the future.
    Anyone who listens to audiobooks is a friend of mine. Any recommendations?

I'm just cutting through the Thomas Covenant series. I read the first two trilogies many years ago and am enjoying those. Of course, I really am just prepping myself for the final, 4 book series :)

• Anyone who listens to audiobooks is a friend of mine. Any recommendations?

I'm just cutting through the Thomas Covenant series.
    Are you reading the Thomas Covenant on paper or listening to it? I had never heard of it and liked the synopsis. When I searched Audible and the library’s website I could not find an audio version.

As far as recommendations it depends on what you like. If you are mainly into fantasy and like George RR Martin and have not yet read any Joe Abercrombie that might be up your alley. The Blade Itself is the first book in the trilogy that sets up the rest of Abercrombie's books. They are dark and gritty. His characters have depth and tend to change as events they experience affect their personalities. In audio the reader is Steven Pacey, who is fantastic. The Audible website has a 5 minute sample of the first chapter, give it a listen and see what you think.

• I've read 2 or 3 Thomas Covenant books so far, paper editions. I actually own a bunch more. Will read eventually.
  • Listening to Covenant. I can't seem to BUY the audiobooks anywhere, and I cannot even locate the original readings, but the copy I got off Pirate Bay is insanely well read, VERY professional, they should REALLY be available somewhere.

I'll investigate Abercrombie! I am of course, with Audible.
  • I am acquiring the first trilogy now. I am currently listening to The Great North Road. I will be in the mood for some fantasy when I am done so it looks like Covenant is next!
  • I am acquiring the first trilogy now. I am currently listening to The Great North Road. I will be in the mood for some fantasy when I am done so it looks like Covenant is next!
    Are you getting the torrent with the first two trilogies and the first 2 books of the quadrilogy? (lol, quadrilogy.. what a silly sounding word...)

That's the one I got, I'm just finishing up White Gold Wielder now, and will hit the "new" material soon.

• Howdy y'all.

I am Daniel Alexander, born April 17, 1988. I'm a product designer (no I have not designed anything you can buy [yet]). At university in London, studying to earn an Engineering Design degree. I consider myself a philosopher or at least a sceptic, though I'm no atheist . Been enjoying games since I broke my brother’s commodore 64 playing some flying shooting game that I never learnt the name of. I never understood games on tape.

Love music, love futurism and all sorts of nerderies and gizmos.
    Games haven’t exactly matured as I had hoped over the years. Graphics have, but not the level of engagement. A lot of things in general, you can perceive a drop in standards across the boards, whether it’s film, buying food, walking to the park (I hope I don’t get stabbed today).

So it’s my aim not to drop standards in anything I do, and hopefully improve them and encourage others to do the same along the way.

That’s me in a shell of a nut.
  • Commodore 64!

Hmm, flying, shooting games.. Did you ever land your ship and run around on foot, top down? Parallax?

I assume if it was a popular game like R-Type or X-Out you would have accidently stumbled across it by now. Tell me moar...
  • Are you getting the torrent with the first two trilogies and the first 2 books of the quadrilogy? (lol, quadrilogy.. what a silly sounding word...)

That's the one I got, I'm just finishing up White Gold Wielder now, and will hit the "new" material soon.
    After too many time being frustrated with torrents unreliability (stuck at XX%) I went to Usenet and have not looked back. In 20 minutes D/L time I was able to get Lord Foul's Bane, The Illearth War, and The Power that Preserves. They seem good audio quality and are read by John Chancer, though it sounds like he is harsh on his "S"es he seems like a good reader. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Are you getting the torrent with the first two trilogies and the first 2 books of the quadrilogy? (lol, quadrilogy.. what a silly sounding word...)

After too many time being frustrated with torrents unreliability (stuck at XX%) I went to Usenet and have not looked back. In 20 minutes D/L time I was able to get Lord Foul's Bane, The Illearth War, and The Power that Preserves. They seem good audio quality and are read by John Chancer, though it sounds like he is harsh on his "S"es he seems like a good reader. Thanks for the suggestion!

They are great books! Gritty, realistic, soul crushingly despairing...

I huge relief from "Wizard School" and other stuff I have read lately. :)

• (I hope I don’t get stabbed today)
    Are you just being facetious or is the area you live in actually dangerous enough to worry about that?

• edited February 2013
    I have to worry about that, also getting shot, even though you can't buy guns in the UK, people still somehow have guns. =/
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Yep. Just because the UK cops don't normally carry guns on their person, doesn't mean they don't have any and aren't trained in their use, and that's not for nowt.
  • I'm not afraid of the police, I'm talking about criminals with illegal firearms.
  • I'm not afraid of the police, I'm talking about criminals with illegal firearms.
    You appear to be less likely to be killed by a criminal with a firearm than with a legally owned firearm.