This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• I have to worry about that, also getting shot, even though you can't buy guns in the UK, people still somehow have guns. =/
    Yet it still really hurts getting shot with an air rifle.
  • I'm not afraid of the police, I'm talking about criminals with illegal firearms.
    You appear to be less likely to be killed by a criminal with a firearm than with a legally owned firearm.

I strongly disagree LOL

There's been at least a handful of shootings in my area in the past year, all by illegal firearms. And I personally know one victim, who luckily survived.

And that's been an improvement. Google London, murder mile.
  • AmpAmp
    edited February 2013
    I'm not afraid of the police, I'm talking about criminals with illegal firearms.
    You appear to be less likely to be killed by a criminal with a firearm than with a legally owned firearm.

I strongly disagree LOL

There's been at least a handful of shootings in my area in the past year, all by illegal firearms. And I personally know one victim, who luckily survived.

And that's been an improvement. Google London, murder mile.
    London is a subset of the of the country though. For instance gun crime is very low in the cotsworlds despite the high amount of guns.

Edit; Should say that I agree with you though the UK is very different to the US with regards to firearms.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • edited February 2013
    I'm not afraid of the police, I'm talking about criminals with illegal firearms.
    Yeah, fair enough, but not what I was talking about. I'm pointing out that the police feel the need for additional training and armament to deal with that potential threat, rather than that you should feel afraid of the cops because they have guns.
    In the US, sure. But the US statistics do not apply to a country with such a wildly different situation regarding firearms. You're more likely to be killed with an illegal firearm than a legal firearm in this country, too - in fact, IIRC, even before the NFA came into effect in this country, you were more likely to be killed by an illegal firearm than a legal one.
    London is a subset of the of the country though. For instance gun crime is very low in the cotsworlds despite the high amount of guns.
    True, but I'd also suggest that overall crime is far lower in the Cotswolds too, considering that the vast majority of it is either farmland or country manors. The people there whom own guns are most likely legal owners by a vast majority, most of them farmers, workers on manor estates, or the rich. Hardly the highest-risk category for firearm-related crime.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I agree Churba.
  • Why is it that every thread in the last month or so has at some point turned into a gun control thread?
  • Gun control has been on the forefront of the news, at least in the US, for the past month or so.
  • Perhaps move the discussion to a dedicated thread as to not overwhelm sticky threads? As with any philosophy/religion/politics/etc topic, I am sure this could go for a while.
  • Do you play Netrunner? If you do. WOOHOO!
    Unfortunately you will have to pull that WooHoo back in. The first I heard of it was the GN podcast. I like the concept behind it. Though I don't think it is something that I would actually purchase.

On hanging out: I have a pretty full schedule right now with current recurring commitments for my time. But if that changes in the future I would love to kick it. As only a "low" level board gamer, I am sure you would have tons to teach me
    No worries. We host board game nights at our apartment. Or go to random gaming events.
  • Perhaps move the discussion to a dedicated thread as to not overwhelm sticky threads? As with any philosophy/religion/politics/etc topic, I am sure this could go for a while.
    I made a dedicated thread when the Guns!!! thread got overrun by the discussion so much that no one could have a conversation about Guns!!!. The debate nevertheless continues to leak into other threads.
  • I am teach English for a living and have been listening to these two for many years. I am not sure how long but I know at least since I was in Korea which was c 2007. However, I listened before that.
  • Greetings,
    I'm Kenya aka Cerberuslatzo. Huge fan of videogames (preferably the final fantasy and god of war series) anime, manga, American comics and bunch of other stuff. I'm always looking to network and make new nerdy connections. I'm interested in magic the gathering (not heavily) , hex hex next, and those awesome zombie/apocalypses table top survival games! I'm currently majoring in visual fine arts taking as many drawing classes as possible in hopes of one day maybe becoming a conceptual artist for videogames.
  • I have to say, this past week has been rather active for new forumites.
    If there's a reason for that, I'd like to know.
    If there's a reason for that, I'd like to know.
    Snowstorms.
  • Hey Everyone,

Yu, 25 going for B.S. in Applied Sciences. I mostly catch up on stuff people recommend to me catching up on Gravity Falls right now loving it. I mostly enjoy cooking recipes handed down by my grandmother and playing games with friends.

My current project is creating a raspberry-pi running retro-arch for emulation that fits in a lunchbox.

As for few things that I enjoy right now.

Video Games

*CS:GO
    *Sleeping Dogs
    *FTL
    *Killing Floor
    *Super Hexagon
    *Deus Ex : GOTY
    *Total Annihliation
    *Planetside 2

TV Shows

*Archer Season 4
    *House of Cards
    *Gravity Falls
    *Psycho-pass
    *Community

Youtube Shows

*Game Lore
    *DYK Gaming
    *razethew0rld
    *phreakindee
    *TotalHalibut

Looking forward in participating in the forums!
  • Welcome to the forum! What made you join?
  • Are there any blind or disabled members here? Its for my new job. Would love your help!
  • Greetings! My name is Luke Pietz and I was born April 5, 1987. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies (teaching). I am involved in many forms of geekery, pen and paper rpg, tabletop gaming, video games, anime, quantum dynamics, animation, and probably others I'm not currently thinking of. I am a professional pianist and teach both piano and guitar. I'm happy to be a member of the forum!
  • edited March 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm Scott Watrous, I joined the forum like a year ago, for reals, after PAXE2012; but then totally never actually logged in again because, well, life.

I'm good friends with Chie and Phil who dragged me into the web of the FRC back at PAXE2010 (I think?). Anyway, I was recently reminded that PAXE2013 is about to happen, because, it's already been a YEAR since the last one... and that I better get my forum on.

So I know some of you guys, and some know me, but for those with horrible memory like myself or who I have never met ever, my bio is:

I was born May 3, 1988 in Rhode Island. I grew up in Connecticut, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. I've never been to Sweden which is where my grandparents are from. I recently graduated from Rhode Island School of Design with an Industrial Design degree, and my passions are airplanes, firearms, beer, games in all forms, paintball, designing stuff.... and any safe combinations of the above. (flying an aircraft, that I designed while drinking beer, firing paintballs at people with firearms... is probably a good start.)

As far as why I'm here? Because I was at the first PAX East, and I went by myself, and it was admittedly a pretty crappy time. It was a cool event but seriously... that line to see Frontalot in that old tiny convention center with no-one to hang out with gave me Forever Alone face. So then I start hanging with Chie at school and she's like come with us to PAXE next year, and so I did, and I met a ton of people and it was super legit. And I've had good times with the people here. So it's time to get on it.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • edited March 2013
    Hey, RISD! Go Nads! I didn't go there, but I spent half my life in Smithfield, RI.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• I was born May 3, 1988 in Rhode Island. I grew up in Connecticut, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. I've never been to Sweden which is where my grandparents are from. I recently graduated from Rhode Island School of Design with an Industrial Design degree, and my passions are airplanes, firearms, beer, games in all forms, paintball, designing stuff.... and any safe combinations of the above. (flying an aircraft, that I designed while drinking beer, firing paintballs at people with firearms... is probably a good start.)
    Congrats on graduating from RISD. I myself went to Brown next door and my wife is also a RISD grad. Oh, and I also happen to be an airplane geek too. :)
  • Thanks for the welcomes. Seems the number of people I meet who are familiar with College Hill gets bigger everywhere I go.

How many pilots are here?
  • Pilot wannabe in my case. Only had two lessons so far... plan to take more, one day, but need to save up so I can take them all in one go. My wife's uncle is a CFI, so I have gone flying with him when we visit her folks.
  • Hello everyone!

My name is Joe, I hail from SW Ontario, Canada, born May 12, 1992. I'm an I.T. student in my second year at the local College, and am currently on my first semester of Co-operative education working for a growing financial institution.

I'm a pretty avid geek with a great passion for science, technology, music, film, anime, comics, gaming, and hobo wine. In my spare time I enjoy writing music, gaming, a good book, playing some Heroclix or a board game, and riding my motorbike about the countryside when it's not a miserable, wet, Canadian winter outside.

I've finally decided to create a forum account to enter the gaming Grand Prix, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

I've listened to Podcasts since the early days when my old PSP first received the update that allowed for RSS subscriptions. I found Geeknights mid-2006 and have been listening to all four shows ever since. I can say that Rym and Scott have definitely been two of the most influential people in my life over the last seven years. I'm so glad you guys keep doing the show!

• Welcome! You and I share a birth day. Your first task in proving you're Canadian is telling me the best poutine can be found in your city.
  • Welcome! You and I share a birth day. Your first task in proving you're Canadian is telling me the best poutine can be found in your city.
    Is poutine a whole-Canada thing? I just thought it was a Quebec thing.

Is poutine a whole-Canada thing? I just thought it was a Quebec thing.
    It's originally a Quebec thing, however it's become quite popular at least here in Ontario. I'm not too sure how the rest of Canada feels about it. I'm actually not a very big fan of poutine, sorry Dromaro!
  • Let's be honest with ourselves, here: Who doesn't love chips and gravy with some form of cheesy goodness on top?
  • I wish it was popular here in the US... Poutine and beer, I would become a beast