This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Starting Escaflowne today (for the first time), Patlabor is on deck. If my internet shapes up before the end of the Friday, I might give Naru Taru a go, but I'll probably just read the scans.
  • The next thing I'm watching is either The Big O or the second Patlabor movie (I've seen the first, and I heard the second was better).
  • The next thing I'm watching is either The Big O or the second Patlabor movie (I've seen the first, and I heard the second was better).
    They didn't have the movies at the university library, so I snagged the TV series.

Also, I just read a little bit about Narutaru. Kitoh really just hates everything, doesn't he?
  • Starting Escaflowne today (for the first time)
    Oh, how I envy you. I hope you enjoy it.
    If you really like Oshii's style of movie. I.e. Lots of talking in a very boring manner, then you will go absolutly crazy about Patlabor 2. However, if you have seen any other Patlabor (as you have) your expectations of a slightly comedic, fast paced adventure will be ignored.
  • edited September 2010
    I watched Code Geass over the last weekend which was pretty good. Right now I'm watching Trigun for the first time, which makes me wonder why the fuck I didn't watch it sooner. Also watching Seitokai Yakuindomo for shits and giggles in between. That show is fucking dirty and probably wouldn't be up the alley for some other forumites, but it's soooo fucking hilarious. I watched the first episode just to check it out after a half-hearted recommendation, and I laughed enough off it to continue.

After Trigun I'll probably watch Escaflowne. I watched that show years ago when it ran on MTV in germany, but I'm not sure I ever watched it in full and/or in the right sequence, and I just never really got around to watch it correctly, so I'll pay my due diligence soon.

I also recently rewatched Animation Runner Kuromi. If anybody hasn't seen it, go and do it NOW!
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Still watching High School of the Dead. I dunno why. The animation is just... god damnit.
  • edited September 2010
    Still watching High School of the Dead. I dunno why. The animation is just... god damnit.
    BULLET DODGING BREASTS!
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • The animation is just... god damnit
    What kind of a "damn it" is that? Good or bad?
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm 11 episodes into The Big O at the moment.
  • The animation is just... god damnit
    What kind of a "damn it" is that? Good or bad?
    It's a guilty "damn it". For me it's like watching a train wreck full of zombies and boobs. It's just too entertaining... I can't look away...

It is MADHOUSE after all.
  • edited September 2010
    Just finished watching Gurren Lagann again by way of the movies. It's still awesome, but I don't like some thing things they had to cut to save time (button mashing guy, fight scenes are a lot shorter). The new animation was cool though, might have to watch the whole series again.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Just finished The Tatami Galaxy. I think one of my biggest criteria for a good anime is that it have a good ending, and this show had a great one. I got tears of joy going down my face a few times during the last episode. Everything tied up very nicely, and it all felt meaningful. It was wonderful.

The whole series is just so inventive and artistic, so weird and yet surprisingly non-alienating. It's very entertaining throughout, too. The situations are often silly and fun to watch play out, and it's easy to get attached to the characters as you go. Ozu is by far the best character, too. If nothing else, watch this series for Ozu. Oh mans. The only hard part to get past might be the pace of the dialogue, which oftentimes seems to go by in a blur; you have to be kind of a speed reader to keep up at times. Even then, I think that is a deliberate decision on the part of the director. You're supposed to feel kind of lost in the protagonist's stream of consciousness at times, so really, you don't end up feeling frustrated during the times when things get confusing.

I just can't say enough good things. Go watch it now. It's only 11 episodes, so it really won't take up too much of your time, and you'll leave it feeling really good.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm sorry, what? I was busy chugging my Pabst Blue Ribbon over here.
    It's alright, I couldn't hear you over the dull roar of my apathy.
  • In regards to Tatami Galaxy. The break neck speed of protagonist inner monologue happened mostly at the beginning of each episode. It slows down to semi-normal speeds during the show. I totally agree that the show is really good and worth a watch.
    It's alright, I couldn't hear you over the dull roar of my apathy.
    Cool. Apathy rules.

And yes, Josh said it better on when the dialogue speed-ups happen. It also feels a lot more prominent in episode 1. By episode 2, I think there's less speedy stuff, plus you're more acclimated to the show by then.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • Awesomeness.

Just went back to episode 1 last night. Yup, there is definitely a lot more extra-speedy dialogue in that episode compared to most of the rest; it wasn't just a perception thing. Also, I saw some big clues and ties to future events that weren't clear the first time around, too, which is cool.
  • Settling in for some Saturday night chemistry studying, with a side of Spriggan.
  • I am watching 009-1 from Shotaro Ishinomori. It is fantastic! I can't believe it I got the whole series for less than 9 bucks. If you are not willing to spend money you can also watch it for free on hulu.
    It is totally worth it guys, and not just because the female cyborgs are nice eye candy ;D
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • I am watching 009-1 from Shotaro Ishinomori. It is fantastic! I can't believe it I got the whole series for less than 9 bucks. If you are not willing to spend money you can also watch it for free on hulu.
    It is totally worth it guys, and not just because the female cyborgs are nice eye candy ;D
    Isn't that the one with the breast machine guns?
  • edited September 2010
    And they fire deadly bio-bullets :O
    But in all seriousness, the only campy thing about this series are her deadly guns ;P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I started Utena.
  • I started Utena.
    Me too, giving Gao Gai Gar a go too.
  • edited September 2010
    The first season might as well be called The Bitch Slap Saga. I mean, damn.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I started Utena.
    ...giving Gao Gai Gar a go too.
    Do not forget Gao Gai Gar Final
    It is made of the ultimate show of manliness and courage in space!