This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I made it past the opening credits.. just.

They're packing the cliches in there pretty tight.

I have seen the future of fanservice.. and it is giggling butts, everywhere.
    On every single female. No matter what the girl looks like, the anime producers will give them an ass.
  • Yep, it's pretty much the manga's trick of draw you in with the good story and then slap you in the face with a huge pair of titties.
  • After that first episode, I don't think I need to see anymore of High School of the Dead.

Its a pretty cliche zombie story on its own, but when the animators feel the need to give us a panty shot every other minute (even while girls are getting devoured by zombies), it just becomes embarrassing.
  • Hey now! It's not Tenjou Tenge sized breasts.

I still wonder though how the hell he could look down that cleavage early in the episode... I mean, it's covered in the next shot.
    when the animators feel the need to give us a panty shot every other minute (even while girls are getting devoured by zombies), it just becomes HILARIOUS.
    It's gonna be a weak summer season, for there is only SENGOKU BASARA 2 to look forward to.
  • Well, it's a Zombie story. Haven't seen one lately and I am not even sure there was a Zombie Apocalypse anime before. There were definitely Zombies in anime before, but usually just pawns, either by magic or for Vampires. Let's see how it develops. At the very least the animation is great, even though it's a bit fanservicey.

Also, I find it hilarious that they have a character named Kouta Hirano in that series. He shares the name with the author of Hellsing. Probably intentionally.
    imageimage
  • Finished up Tatami Galaxy the other day. I would say that it's the best series that has come out in 2010 thus far.
  • First episode of HOTD. I loved it. Since I don't normally go for zombies in things, I haven't seen anything with them in it for a long while. This is in the vein I like my monster flicks/shows to be: hilariously cliched.
  • edited July 2010
    I started watching ef: A tale of memories. It's a rather cliched romance anime. Based on an H-Game after all. Laser Guided Amnesia, love triangle, twins, moe moe, etc. Nothing to write home about. Except that the animation is absofuckinglutely astonishing. SHAFT is more known for it's WJT series like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Pani Poni Dash and Bakemonogatari with accompanying animation style, but this is just absolutely beautiful. You can definitely feel the influence of Makoto Shinkai on this one.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Armored Trooper Votoms. This show is amazing.
  • edited July 2010
    Watched first episode of Seitokai Yakuindomo. Former all girls High School shanghaiing it's first male as vice president of the student council. Which all is just window dressing for the purpose of telling dirty jokes. Surprisingly enough there wasn't any fanservice to speak of. Which is usually the bread and butter for these types of series. The jokes for the first episode ranged from lame to smirk worthy at best. But humor is a very personal thing so your mileage may vary.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Rewatching Evangelion, with the director's cuts. I haven't hit the DC episodes yet, and apparently the last two eps are still the same. Regardless, I'm super-enjoying it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2011
    Rewatching Evangelion, with the director's cuts. I haven't hit the DC episodes yet, and apparently the last two eps are still the same. Regardless, I'm super-enjoying it.
    What a coincidence, I'm watching Eva myself...first time as well. I'm gonna do it all from Neon Genesis to Rebuild of Evangelion.
    Currently, I just finished Episode 18 (you know...that one), and all I have to say is "Hideaki Anno...are you for serious? Did you really pull what I think you did? Did I really see what I thought I just saw? If so...are you out of your motherfucking mind!? I liked the transcendental/cerebal shift the show was beginning to take...but this is really pushing it." I still like it a lot and I admire the bravery that he had (even if depression was the main deciding factor involved) to make that move. Regardless, doesn't change how fucked up it is. I'm worried as to how this will end.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've just finished watching Eva. That was an amazing show, the end was worth it after all the crazy shit that went down during the final quarter. I don't see why people demanded a new ending and even sent Anno death threats?
  • I started "Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi", which was full of high school and tsundere cliches, but had a fairy tale motif and other things that kept me interested. I don't know how to feel about the second episode though. It seemed to have a pretty chauvinist message at the end, in which the tough, spirited, boxing female lead needs to be rescued not once, but twice by the sniveling, soft-spoken, but oh-so-relatable male lead. I could even have dealt with one rescue. The first time, it seemed that Ryouko (the female lead) was learning about teamwork, and that it's okay to kick ass with a dude's help every now and then. But the second rescue had this badass chick completely helpless at the hands of a villain, full-on damsel in distress until the wussy boy with no fistfighting experience gave an uncharacteristically manly speech and KO'd a high schooler the size of a bear.

Even that wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't been stressing repeatedly how Ryouko's tough side is just a facade, that she really just wants to be a weak woman like the rest of them, how her refusal to accept these feminine traits is what makes her miserable, and she really wants "someone to depend on". Couldn't she want all of that and still accept the badass side of herself? I know there's probably a lot of cultural stuff going on here that just sparks my raging feminist, so maybe I'm reading too much into it all. I'll probably watch the third episode anyway and see how much more of this message is slingshotted at my face before I decide to quit or not.
    edited July 2010
    I don't know how to feel about the second episode though.
    How 'bout this: IT SUCKS. My verdict for Toradora 2, blech.

Also: Sengoku BASARA ni!
    Post edited by ... on
  • I don't see why people demanded a new ending and even sent Anno death threats?
    1) There will always be people who do that because they are batshit crazy and believe that they deserve better. I can imagine that after the series finale of Lost, the writers/directors/producers of that show are getting the same thing.

2) It is painfully obvious that the team who made the show didn't want the show to end the way it did. They had an ending in mind, and there is plenty of evidence to show that it was along the lines of the End of Eva movie (see original teaser at the end of episode 24 as well as official Eva manga). At the beginning of the last two episodes, they even admit in text that there's not enough time to do what they want to do, so they're just doing what they can. Most people were originally upset mostly because there was little conclusion. Not in the sense of the story having an ending, cause the original ending did convey the ultimate message Anno wanted to get out (which is why later he said he actually likes the TV ending better, since it got his point across better than the original concept). But rather in the sense that there were so many loose ends that didn't get tied up. Most people are willing to allow some loose ends, since that can leave a story ambiguous and open to interpretation, but Eva simply left way too many out there.

You also have to take into account that Eva is approaching 15 years. Most people know by now that the ending is controversial. You need to try to see it how the original viewers did, where it was completely unexpected, given the quality of the rest of the show.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    I don't see why people demanded a new ending and even sent Anno death threats?
    1) There will always be people who do that because they are batshit crazy and believe that they deserve better. I can imagine that after the series finale of Lost, the writers/directors/producers of that show are getting the same thing.

2) It is painfully obvious that the team who made the show didn't want the show to end the way it did. They had an ending in mind, and there is plenty of evidence to show that it was along the lines of the End of Eva movie (see original teaser at the end of episode 24 as well as official Eva manga). At the beginning of the last two episodes, they even admit in text that there's not enough time to do what they want to do, so they're just doing what they can. Most people were originally upset mostly because there was little conclusion. Not in the sense of the story having an ending, cause the original ending did convey the ultimate message Anno wanted to get out (which is why later he said he actually likes the TV ending better, since it got his point across better than the original concept). But rather in the sense that there were so many loose ends that didn't get tied up. Most people are willing to allow some loose ends, since that can leave a story ambiguous and open to interpretation, but Eva simply left way too many out there.

You also have to take into account that Eva is approaching 15 years. Most people know by now that the ending is controversial. You need to try to see it how the original viewers did, where it was completely unexpected, given the quality of the rest of the show.
    I did watch it that way and all I knew beforehand was that the last two episodes took place in Shinji's mind. I felt it was a very satisfying ending (however I might be a little bias considering I love open endings left to interpretation like to 2001 or Doubt, but that's beside the point). More importantly though, It's depressing to me that people couldn't get past the fact that they were had by the Monster of the Week first half of the show.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2010
    I've just come to the end of what are now two of my favorite anime of all time: SDF Macross, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. How can I follow up these shows without watching something outright disappointing.

P.S. Does anyone else have this problem of sequencing anime? I never know what I should watch after what I just watched. I learned that I had to give some thought to the matter when I finished Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I immediately started watching the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy, and while those are good movies, It was very hard going for a while because my mind was primed for GitS, and I got MSG.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • How can I follow up these shows without watching something outright disappointing.
    Watch Baccano.
  • How can I follow up these shows without watching something outright disappointing.
    Watch Baccano.
    Or Durarara!! Or you could go the other way entirely with a pallet cleanser like Odiiiiiiin!
  • I have a question about EVA. Which do I watch next? Death and Rebirth, End of Evangelion, or both?
  • Death and Rebirth is just a recap and the first bit of the End of Eva, so watch that. If you need more watch the new movies. 1.0 is pretty much the first 6 episodes but shinier and 2.0 is where things really start getting divergent. Since you just watched the show, you could probably skip the first one.
  • I have a question about EVA. Which do I watch next? Death and Rebirth, End of Evangelion, or both?
    As Ruffas said, Death and Rebirth are just a compilation of the show with a few unnecessary added scenes plus a preview of the movie. Just go straight to End of Eva.
  • Working on clearing the ol' backlog. And I'm half way through with Toaru Majutsu no Index. Anybody watch this one? I like the idea of a protagonist that can negate magic and psychic power. It's alright, it seems it could be a lot better though.
  • I'm getting through Strike Witches 2. It's more of the same, but Strike Witches is pretty good beneath all that unacknowledged fanservice. Biggest changes? More characters, scarier Neuroi, and Shirley changed her outfit...
  • Strike Witches is pretty good beneath all that unacknowledged fanservice.
    Unackowledged? They fucking bitch slapped you in the face with it, how could you ignore it?
  • Strike Witches is pretty good beneath all that unacknowledged fanservice.
    Unackowledged? They fucking bitch slapped you in the face with it, how could you ignore it?
    Unacknowledged in the sense that the characters don't acknowledge it or that the girls don't really mention anything about it. (Except that one episode) Other than that, yeah, we all can see it. @_@

• Unacknowledged in the sense that the characters don't acknowledge it or that the girls don't really mention anything about it. (Except that one episode) Other than that, yeah, we all can see it. @_@
    Yea I find unacknowledged excessive fanservice worse then when it is part of the joke or the point :-p

• Unacknowledged in the sense that the characters don't acknowledge it or that the girls don't really mention anything about it. (Except that one episode) Other than that, yeah, we all can see it. @_@
    Yea I find unacknowledged excessive fanservice worse then when it is part of the joke or the point :-p
    Really? Worse? Well, I can agree with you. But I believe it's even more painful if it's part of the joke and really not funny. And animes about only fanservice are pointless, because you have google. I'd rather take fanservice with some interesting action and story going on than cliched comedy.
  • Anybody watch this one?
    I jumped ship on that show when the stupid protagonist lost his memory.
    I never know what I should watch after what I just watched.
    You could follow a currently airing show as you watch already finished shows. That way you'll at least be left with that show.