This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Why would I think it was a kid's cartoon? Because it was rated TV14??? If it had been rated NR I would have assumed it to be a cartoon for adults.

How does surprise at a rating for an anime show equal being a prude?
  • Don't say you're not a prude when you are. I suspect you even want nudity to be at a higher rating, but you say nothing about violence which is arguably WORSE for your children's upbringing.
    Yes, that is just the way we roll in America.

For the record, having watched the first few minutes to see what this is all about, I agree that this should have been rated M for violence and nudity. This is an adult show in my opinion, not a kids or even a teenager show.
  • For the record, having watched the first few minutes to see what this is all about, I agree that this should have been rated M for violence and nudity. This is an adult show in my opinion, not a kids or even a teenager show.
    Fist of the North Star was targeted at young teens. Vampire Hunter D was perfectly enjoyable by seven year olds. I doubt this show was too much for a teenager.
  • Fist of the North Star was targeted at young teens. Vampire Hunter D was perfectly enjoyable by seven year olds. I doubt this show was too much for a teenager.
    Very different kind of violence I assure you. Fist of the North Star is awesome for people of all ages. :P
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2010
    TV ratings in the US are known for being overly puritanical. There is nothing prudish about being surprised that a show was given a TV14 rating when shows with similar content earn a higher rating.

Nudity has traditionaly been something that earns an automatic mature rating in the US. I'd be equally surprised to find an R rated movie that clearly shows sexual penetration.

To put it another way, if this show were live action rather than anime it would be rated R in the US.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2010
    No, what I've been saying is that you're a fucking prude because you ONLY panic about the nudity! Is it that fucking hard for you to comprehend your native language Steve? Are you truly trying that hard to regain your title of dumbest fuck on these forums in my opinion?
    I don't think he was panicking, just remarking on the oddity of the rating. Violence is just more accepted in the US, so it isn't that crazy that a violent show would get a TV14 rating. Nudity, on the other hand, is usually something that earns an R rating right off the bat, so it bears mentioning. Just because the MPAA holds an opinion doesn't mean that The Tick holds it too, and I don't think he's directly said anything about his feelings about nudity and violence, just his surprise at the rating attached to them in this particular show.
    Post edited by Walker on
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • Just watched Millenium Actress. I feel like this is only the beginning of a slippery slope of Satoshi Kon watching. Thank you RIT Anime Club.
  • I don't think he was panicking
    I'm exaggerating his single reaction. "Nudity?!"

EDIT: Why the fuck must I even specify that? It's not hard people. It's just English, you know, you native language you were born and raised with.
    To be fair, it could have been a lot worse. Narutaru looks like it's for kids at first...
  • Just watched Millenium Actress. I feel like this is only the beginning of a slippery slope of Satoshi Kon watching. Thank you RIT Anime Club.
    Get on Paranoia Agent next.

I watched Bakuman and since it sticks closely to the manga I don't think I'll continue and I'll just read. Panty and Stocking is either really great or really horrible. Either way I like it because of its American influences and adult humor.
  • I really could go either way on P&Sw/G, but I love the animation. It's all the right shades of 90's and early 00's cartoons with a little bit of Gurren Lagann thrown in for good measure.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • I really could go either way on P&Sw;/G, but Ilovethe animation. It's all the right shades of 90's and early 00's cartoons with a little bit of Gurren Lagann thrown in for good measure.
    Same director. That's what convinced me to try it.
  • To be fair, it could have been a lot worse. Narutarulookslike it's for kids at first...
    What the fuck. Why the fuck would you EVER do that!?
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • I have to say Ouran Host Club is very enjoyable. Almost as enjoyable as the manga, but sometimes more in certain ways. I do enjoy how Renge shows up every now and then.

However, at times, I keep thinking about Samurai 7 when I hear the voice actors because a few of them did voice acting for that show.
  • edited October 2010
    I watched the first three episodes of Eva today. I've never seen it before and I am hopeful that it will live up to the hype.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I watched the first three episodes of Eva today. I've never seen it before and I am hopeful that it will lives up to the hype.
    Just be sure to stick with it through the series' halfway point. What starts to happen then is really where most of the "hype" comes from.
  • Watching World Destruction for the 2nd time. It's so cute, kuma =3
  • edited October 2010
    I watched the first three episodes of Eva today. I've never seen it before and I am hopeful that it will live up to the hype.
    The series is what 15 years old now it's past the point of hype. It's an institution now.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I watched the first three episodes of Eva today. I've never seen it before and I am hopeful that it will lives up to the hype.
    Just be sure to stick with it through the series' halfway point. What starts to happen then is really where most of the "hype" comes from.
    Also, knowing you, you might be deeply disturbed with the end of one particular episode (I hope those who have seen it know what I'm talking about). EVA is one of the more polarizing anime out there, you either love it or you despise it.
    Also, knowing you, you might be deeply disturbed with the end of one particular episode (I hope those who have seen it know what I'm talking about). EVA is one of the more polarizing anime out there, you either love it or you despise it.
    Also, knowing Kate, she'll probably end up despising it ;)
  • @ Sail: Why would I end up despising it? I like several mech/giant robot shows including, but not limited to, Escaflowne, Rahxephon, Big O,and Bokurano.
  • I kid, I kid. Sometimes it just seems like you have a track record of not liking a lot of things other people like.
  • She'll probably find something wrong with the gender roles.
  • I kid, I kid. Sometimes it just seems like you have a track record of not liking a lot of things other people like.
    Well, sometimes they are not for me, sometimes I look at them from a different perspective, and sometimes I like things most other people hate. C'est la vie.
    She'll probably findsomethingwrong with the gender roles.
    (While I see that your comment is in green, I am going to respond to it as if it isn't, because I am a man-hating feminazi.) Yeah, but that is because there are many things wrong with gender roles within society at large. It is only natural that the flaws of the society be reflected in the art. I also wonder that more people, of either gender, don't make more of some of the glaring problems that seem to only bother me. Part of it may be that I am hypersensitive, but part of it may be that others are oblivious or uncaring. Again, c'est la vie.
  • (While I see that your comment is in green, I am going to respond to it as if it isn't, because I am a man-hating feminazi.)Yeah, but that is because there are many things wrong with gender roles within society at large. It is only natural that the flaws of the society be reflected in the art. I also wonder that more people, of either gender, don't make more of some of the glaring problems that seem to only bother me. Part of it may be that I am hypersensitive, but part of it may be that others are oblivious or uncaring. Again, c'est la vie.
    I hear ya. That kind of shit seems to piss me off more than it does most guys, thanks to my sister being a "man-hating feminazi" and role model. By the same hand, I like to make fun of feminists because my sister is one.
  • In my experience I have found that when people watch Eva, if they don't have some kind of connection with or sympathy for Shinji, they will ultimately not like the show. And it's not necessarily because that's necessary to enjoy the show, since there are plenty of other characters to connect with, and the overall story is fairly complex. But it's more that unless people have some kind of connection with him, they end up hating him so much that the rest of the show suffers for it.