This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, what does everyone here look like???

Comments

• ...19. I borrowed/rented suits before. I also had a blazer, but I grew out of it.
  • I don't own a suit. Am I supposed to?
  • Yes. Your parents would hopefully be willing to pay for one. Just make sure you've stopped growing before buying one.
  • Yes.
    Why?
  • Yes.
    Why?
    Because, You will inevitably have occasions where you need a suit. The man who turns up in a good suit, that fits him well - as your own suit should - will outshine every jive-ass motherfucker in the room with their shiny, ill-fitting rented suit. A good suit is a fine garment that practically pays for itself, and will last you a lifetime if you take care of it, on top of making you look really, really goddamn good. A cheap suit makes you look like a cheap bastard who just tries too hard to be fancy - and rental suits are always cheap suits, because who wants to spend that much money on a few hours of wear, except on their wedding?

If you want to know, I can give you my guide to the art of the suit. It's very informative.
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe it's just because SoCal is supposdly all "laid-back" and casual and shit, but I really can think of very few situations I'd be in to wear a suit where a nice collared shirt/pants/shoes wouldn't also be acceptable. And I really don't foresee myself going to enough funerals and and weddings in the next couple of years for it to be worth buying one now. At least for me, a suit doesn't seem like a very necessary purchase until post-college, and even then it'll be circumstantial based on what I happen to end up doing, since the field I'm going into isn't exactly known for having a formal dress code.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe it's just because SoCal is supposdly all "laid-back" and casual and shit, but I really can think of very few situations I'd be in to wear a suit where a nice collared shirt/pants/shoes wouldn't also be acceptable.
    Acceptable and Good are two different standards. There is rarely a loss in being the best dressed dude in the room, especially if the situation was requiring dress clothes to begin with. I'd have trouble even thinking of a situation where it's not a net benefit, in fact.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2011
    Maybe it's just because SoCal is supposdly all "laid-back" and casual and shit, but I really can think of very few situations I'd be in to wear a suit where a nice collared shirt/pants/shoes wouldn't also be acceptable.
    Acceptable and Good are two different standards. There is rarely a loss in being the best dressed dude in the room, especially if the situation was requiring dress clothes to begin with. I'd have trouble even thinking of a situation where it's not a net benefit, in fact.
    This has been my biggest conundrum with living in SoCal. I get invited to a graduation party or something and, in my effort to wear the appropriate attire, I end up showing up over dressed compared to everyone else in the room.

Here's a real life example. Alex Leavitt hosted a board gaming night at his place about a month back. It was my first time going to his place so, as a matter of custom, I bring a gift of beer (it was BYOB, but I wasn't going to be drinking) and I wore a pair of pressed black jeans and a white button-up shirt. I walk through the door and the first thing one of the other guests said was "Whoa, looking fancy..." (or something of that ilk).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This has been my biggest conundrum with living in SoCal. I get invited to a graduation party or something and, in my effort to wear the appropriate attire, I end up showing up over dressed compared to everyone else in the room.

Here's a real life example. Alex Leavitt hosted a board gaming night at his place about a month back. It was my first time going to his place so, as a matter of custom, I bring a gift of beer (it was BYOB, but I wasn't going to be drinking) and I wore a pair of pressed black jeans and a white button-up shirt. I walk through the door and the first thing one of the other guests said was "Whoa, looking fancy..." (or something of that ilk).
    Ah, but that's simply a matter of figuring out your style and how to wear your suit, and knowing when to deploy that part of your sartorial arsenal for maximum effect.
  • You know what, wait. I just realized something. Alex is, himself, from the east coast. Maybe I just dress too well all the time...

Regardless, every man should own a good suit. I have one and I'm actually looking to get another one; either white or black pinstripe.
  • My biggest pro-tip - no matter if you get an expensive, super nice suit, or an inexpensive but decent off-the-rack job, spend the coin, get a good tailor and get it tailored to fit you well. It is an expense, sure, but believe me, it turns a decent-to-good suit into a bloody great suit.
  • edited August 2011
    I am a big fan of suits. I own four myself (two of which I'd never wear again though due to age and size). I love wearing them every opportunity I get. One could argue that one of my suits got me my current girlfriend.

That being said, I kind of agree with Sail that for the most part, you don't really need a suit until after college. I would recommend getting one senior year though. There were at least half a dozen occasions during my senior year that wearing a suit (or slacks and blazer) were required. Also, if you want to get a job right out of college, having one for interviews helps.

EDIT: Also, never ever get a suit with pleats.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • edited August 2011
    I own a tailored black pinstripe suit. It is by far the greatest piece of clothing I own. I'd wear it all the time if I could.

Also, I'd argue that it depends highly on who you are and what you do during college as to whether or not you need a suit before senior year. I know I use mine.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited August 2011
    Also, I'd argue that it depends highly on who you are and what you do during college as to whether or not you need a suit before senior year.
    I definitely agree with this. My Poli-Sci majoring friend who is working in campaign offices and interning with the State Controller certainly needs a suit. It's just that owning one doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for me [right now].
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Also, I'd argue that it depends highly on who you are and what you do during college as to whether or not you need a suit before senior year.
    I definitely agree with this. My Poli-Sci majoring friend who is working in campaign offices and interning with the State Controller certainly needs a suit. It's just that owning one doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for me.
    Someday, you'll wanna take a girl to a fancy restaurant...
  • Then I'll wait for someday, when I can afford fancy restaurants and suits.
  • Fair enough.
    Someday, You'll want to take a girl to In-and-out while wearing fancy clothes for laughs...
    Someday, You'll want to take a girl to In-and-out while wearing fancy clothes for laughs...
    Tuxedo T-shirt
  • My girlfriend would probably headbutt me if I tried to take her to a fancy restaurant.
  • Fancy restaurants and dressing to the nine are good once in a while. Annoying on a regular basis.
  • Fancy punk show?
  • SonicTuxedo T-shirt
    If my boyfriend wore a tuxedo t-shirt -- ever -- I would punch him in the face.
  • Fancy punk show?
    Ripped sleeved dandy shirt comes to mind.
  • Fancy restaurants and dressing to the nine are good once in a while. Annoying on a regular basis.
    Again, depends on who you are and what you do. I'm excited to go into a career where I can dress to kill every day.
  • So your new job requires a trench coat and suit?
  • Tuxedo T-shirt
    If my boyfriend wore a tuxedo t-shirt -- ever -- I would punch him in the face.
    This is the only proper response.
  • I own a t-shirt tuxedo for when I want to be formally casual.
  • A guy came into work yesterday with his very pregnant (I would guess 6mos) partner. I think they were both around 20. He was wearing jorts and a tuxedo t-shirt, and she had a ill-fitting tank and cut-off hotpants. They both had a few facial piercings.

I weep for America.