This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dealing with insane parents.

Comments

• How about details on how you got your mom to change her mind?
  • Grats. So how/why did your mom change her mind?
  • edited July 2007
    I can guarantee you there will be 12 year olds that pass and 40 year olds that do not. Should those 40 year olds have fewer rights than the 12 year olds?
    Yes. People who are not physiologically capable of operating within the social contract should be -- and are under the law -- protected classes.

EDIT: Scott, remember that we're talking about mentally disabled people -- NOT stupid people. There is a difference. Let's define mentally disabled as the law does: Possessing an IQ below 70 and demonstrating two specific disabilities (there is a further definition list of these, which you can look up) that inhibit ability to care for oneself.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • If you rationally argued and convinced her to go using reason, then congratulations. That is the best way to prove you are responsible enough. If you are going through deceit or rebellion, that's something altogether different.
  • It's official, this punk kid is going to his third Otakon this year!
    Um, how? You should offer an explanation, because I think all the parents in this thread just had a heart attack.

But, anyway, good for you!
  • I'll simply note that Scott and I disagree on this issue.  I save my arguments only as I'd rather do a show on it.  You guys seem to like hearing us argue, so... ^_~
  • Time to take bets on how he changed his mom's mind. My bet is he used the Simpson method.

Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
    Can we have a pool dad?
  • Grats. So how/why did your mom change her mind?
    I asked her about it and reminded her that I had already paid, she just said yes. It was weird.
  • Calm rationalism FTW. Good job.
  • It's kind of sad that I am actually more of a rational thinker than my mom.
  • Strangely anticlimatic.
  • I know, wasn't it? There is still a week for something interesting to happen, though.
  • I know, wasn't it? There is still a week for something interesting to happen, though.
    Hide.
    Conceited much?
    People are different; some are more emotional than others. Mothers of teenagers are more emotional than most, in my experience.

Part of this probably comes from a part of their subconsciousness that is convinced, against all the evidence, that they have totally failed you as a parent, setting you on a course that will be described using some subset of the words heroin, trick, suck, g-string, indictment, and embalm.

That doesn't excuse everything, rather it explains some of it. Empathy is your friend in this case: it allows you to move from the whiny teen "you're crazy!" to the more mature "I think you are letting you fear get the better of you".
  • Part of this probably comes from a part of their subconsciousness that is convinced, against all the evidence, that they have totally failed you as a parent, setting you on a course that will be described using some subset of the words heroin, trick, suck, g-string, indictment, and embalm.
    Hahaha. lawl.
  • Conceited much?
    I do not doubt the fact that I am arrogant, a lot of people are.
  • I do not doubt the fact that I am arrogant, a lot of people teenagers are.
    Fixed it for you.
  • If that ball comes in my yard again, I'm keeping it.
  • I have a question. I have heard that you get grades from A to D, correct? Is a C that bad in the US? In Germany we have marks 1 to 6 (where 1 is the best) and I would say that C would be a 3. Is a C that bad in the US ?
  • edited July 2007
    I have a question. I have heard that you get grades from A to D, correct? Is a C that bad in the US? In Germany we have marks 1 to 6 (where 1 is the best) and I would say that C would be a 3. Is a C that bad in the US ?
    A C is supposed to be what an average person can get in a class. That's all. It's wouldn't really all that bad if it wern't wasn't for grade inflation and other pressures.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I have a question. I have heard that you get grades from A to D, correct? Is a C that bad in the US? In Germany we have marks 1 to 6 (where 1 is the best) and I would say that C would be a 3. Is a C that bad in the US ?
    A C is supposed to be what an average person can get in a class. That's all. It's wouldn't really all that bad if itwern'twasn'tfor grade inflation and other pressures.
    I've never been happy with "average". Are you?
    In the US we have A through F. A is the best, F is complete failure. Supposedly D is below average, C is average, B is above average. However, if you have parents who really care about grades, anything like my parents, they will unhappy with anything other than As and Bs. Particularly crazy parents will be unhappy with anything other than all As.

During my pre-college school experience all the teachers and my parents promoted the idea that if you got poor grades, you were going nowhere in life. The reality is that I know many people who got average grades, with plenty of Cs and Bs, who got into college and moved onto decent jobs. Sure, you can't go to Harvard or Yale without amazing grades, but if you don't want to go there, then a few Cs are not going to ruin your life.

Once you are in college your grades only matter if you want to go to graduate school, get scholarships, or work for a big corporation. If you just want to get your degree and get a job, all you need to do is get Cs, and you will get the same diploma as someone with all Bs. The only people who will ever ask about your grades in college are people hiring for internships. Once you get a degree and get a job, nobody will ever ask about college grades again.
    A C is supposed to be what an average person can get in a class. That's all. It's wouldn't really all that bad if itwern'twasn'tfor grade inflation and other pressures.
    I've never been happy with "average". Are you?
    No, but I just wanted to know.
  • Hmmm. On this whole discussion, I have to agree with Scott.

- PREPARE FOR TEENAGE ANGST RANT -

I can understand (to an extent) what your going through. I'm 15, and am going in to my junior year at high school. My parents put a LOT of pressure on me to get good grades, and generally I expect that of myself. However, there are so many times where my parents try to control everything that I do, and it just makes me want to... well, in a sense rebel against them. My dad is too overprotective of me and won't give me much independence, and my mom is the most stereotypical person I know. It's hard. My family doesn't get along well. There have been so many points where my parents have been about to get a divorce, and only stay together because of my little sister and I. They've flat out told me this. I've grown separated and independent of my family. I stick up for myself, but I also know when to back down.

To get to my point, there are some things parents can take away, but they don't understand that this isn't motivating you to improve. They're only depriving you of what you want to do. It just makes you angrier with your parents, and it doesn't help at all. Stick up for what you want to do. Tell your mom that you want to go to Otakon. Tell her why. Act mature. Prove it to her that you deserve to go. Although your playing to your parents, you don't have much of a choice, no matter how unfair it seems.

There is a point where parents have to let go of the leash they have on their children. I'm trying to pass this point. I think my parents understand that I'm becoming more independent of them, and they generally let me do what I want. Independence is like a dog on a leash. Pull to hard, and they pull in the leash. Don't pull at all, and you'll never get to go anywhere.

In the end, it's your choice to decide what to do, not ours, and not your parents. Parents may think that they're helping us, but we're not children. We need to learn to make our own choices. We need to motivate OURSELVES, not have our parents motivate us.
  • In the US we have A through F. A is the best, F is complete failure. Supposedly D is below average, C is average, B is above average. However, if you have parents who really care about grades, anything like my parents, they will unhappy with anything other than As and Bs. Particularly crazy parents will be unhappy with anything other than all As.
    Our schools actually don't have F's anymore. They only have down to E's. My parents are the 'particularly crazy type' I guess. ^,~
  • It's worth noting there are no Es -- just A, B, C, D, and F.

Here is a rough correlation to percentage grades, which changes slightly from state to state:

A: 92-100
    B: 84-91
    C: 75-83
    D: 65-74
    F: 0-64

I remember getting my first B and getting the hell chewed out of me by my parents. That was not pleasant. I needed to do more to "live up to my potential." So I did. Look where it got me.
    Make note: fifteen year olds agree with Scott.
    Make note: fifteen year olds agree with Scott.
    So now your insulting my intellectual level based upon my age? That's mature.
  • It's worth noting there are no Es -- just A, B, C, D, and F.

Here is a rough correlation to percentage grades, which changes slightly from state to state:

A: 92-100
    B: 84-91
    C: 75-83
    D: 65-74
    F: 0-64

I remember getting my first B and getting the hell chewed out of me by my parents. That was not pleasant. I needed to do more to "live up to my potential." So I did. Look where it got me.
    That's different from when I was in school. We had it much simpler. 90-100 A, 80-89 B, 70-79 C, 60-69 D, 0-59 F. At RIT there were no + or -, but in high school they would split it up so that 90-93 A-, 94-96 A, 97-100 A+.