This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dealing with insane parents.

Comments

• Your posts are becoming abusive, Joe. Step down.
  • edited July 2007
    Sorry. I was getting a little wobbly thinking about Mom on display in Addis Ababa. Circle of life.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • See, this is the type of thing we've been saying all along. Mr. "Rational Thought" thinks that because he has a hazy memory of his teacher saying it and an even more unreliable memory of his unreliable textbook saying it, it must be true. Of course, he gets "C"'s so who knows where he heard it. It might have been on Bullwinkle.

This is the type of dense-ness that makes it dangerous to let the punk kids out on their own.
    Not all of us our "punk kids" joe. It's the stereotypical teenager that shows parents that their children can't be trusted with independence. What about those of us that are ready for it? I get straight A's, have never done ANYTHING to waver my parents faith or trust in me, yet they won't let me travel on my own with my own money I've saved up. I'm not irresponsible. We're not all dense. We make just as good choices as you do.

Some of us are more mature than others, but we are still not treated with the same respect as we should. How can parents be the ones to judge if we're ready for independence?
  • edited July 2007

If this thread has taught us anything, it's that this forum needs a council of elders. We'd have similar powers to Mr. Period, except that we'd be editing out poor judgment. I nominate Hungryjoe, HMTKSteve and myself.
    Effectively, you want to be censors for this board and want to keep this board in line with your line of thinking.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • Some of us are more mature than others, but we are still not treated with the same respect as we should. How can parents be the ones to judge if we're ready for independence?
    Meh . . . my parents let me travel fairly far when I was sixteen. My parents were the ones to judge if I was ready . . . and they were right. Do not make the mistake of putting parents into one bucket just because you feel like they're doing it to you.

Just like a child level of maturity should dictate more about what they can and cannot do, so should a parents level of maturity. The problem is that there are always cases where "rights" don't match what is deserved. It's cliché only because it's true: life isn't fair.

Note: I think we're being fairly lenient on our use of rights in these threads. A lot of smart people have put a lot of effort into trying to define these . . . they're pretty on target. Human rights are generally considered to be applied to adults and children evenly.
  • bunnikun: Carole and I can't have kids, so we're kinda in the market to adopt a kid who'll take care of us in our golden years. We're hoping to find someone just about ready to go to college so we won't have to do much raising-type work. We also need someone who has some major scholarships lined up already so we won't have to give up our habit of buying $300.00 pairs of socks. What do you think?
  • edited July 2007
    Effectively, you want to be censors for this board and want to keep this board in line with your line of thinking.
    I guess I forgot to use Jason's green font of sarcasm. However, if you're offering to be my campaign manager, then I'll remove all traces of green.

Getting back to the topic at hand... it boils down to this for me:
    1) A kid must earn privileges by showing that they can handle them.
    2) A parent should recognize when a kid can handle a privilege.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • bunnikun: Carole and I can't have kids, so we're kinda in the market to adopt a kid who'll take care of us in our golden years. We're hoping to find someone just about ready to go to college so we won't have to do much raising-type work. We also need someone who has some major scholarships lined up already so we won't have to give up our habit of buying $300.00 pairs of socks. What do you think?
    I'm confused as to what your asking me.

Adopting a child is more than picking attributes you want. A child needs to be loved, encouraged, nurtured, and then let go. If your only willing to do one of the steps, then I don't think your quite ready to be a parent yet. If your just adopting the child for your own benefit, rather than looking at the child's best interest, then please don't. It sounds to me like your not willing to take on the responsibility of raising a child, and you want to find the "perfect child". One that is already headed for a good job, and one that will take care of you. That's not parenting. Adopting a child isn't like buying a puppy.
  • Adopting a child isn't like buying a puppy.
    Isn't it?

Well, I'll just grow one in the lab then, by crikey!
  • I actually got very high B's or A's in both of the history classes I took in my junior year, both of which were honors classes.
    What's the inheritance outlook?
  • edited July 2007
    bunnikun: Carole and I can't have kids, so we're kinda in the market to adopt a kid who'll take care of us in our golden years. We're hoping to find someone just about ready to go to college so we won't have to do much raising-type work. We also need someone who has some major scholarships lined up already so we won't have to give up our habit of buying $300.00 pairs of socks. What do you think?
    What's the inheritance outlook?
    Bleak.

(Which on one level is a Dickens pun about probate law.)
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • First I think that the statements from AuthorLi_Akahi are extremely arrogant. I hope he doesn't really think his mums insane. Being a more rational thinker is hard to say, but I (being 15) NEVER criticize any older person, any job or my parents. I do discuss a lot but I don't criticize them for believing in god or for someone being a cleaning lady, because what have you (teenager) gotten to in life? If something would piss me off to the point where I have to criticize I do talk with my mum/ dad directly. For example:

My mum just shouted at me saying: "You removed the Windows Media Player icon from my desktop!" That's absurd. So I criticize her for shouting at me for nothing. Now I often use it as a joke and my mum has absolutely no problem when I say it in "public".

In any other matter I fully agree with bunnikun. My school grades are "OK" I guess. I get lots of B's a few A's and a C sometimes. As I think to know that the only report cards that matter are the last 2 I try to stay above average till then. I guess that sounds kind of arrogant. ;)
  • What's the inheritance outlook?
    Bleak.

(Which on one level is a Dickens pun about probate law.)
    Bleak House for those of you that would like to get the allusion.
    What's your upper age limit on adoption? Is it a problem if the "kid" is old enough to be your brother? ;)
  • (assuming we had the internets back then . . . )
    They were called smoke signals, joe. Smoke signals.
  • (assuming we had the internets back then . . . )
    They were called smoke signals, joe. Smoke signals.
    So, what was it like when they switched from smoke to semaphore?
  • edited July 2007
    I actually got very high B's or A's in both of the history classes I took in my junior year, both of which were honors classes.
    But, if grades don't really matter when they're low, why should they matter when they are high? If I'm not supposed to worry about the C, why am I impressed by the B or A?

Oh, and add me to the Old Codgers list.
    Post edited by Sparkybuzzed on
  • I actually got very high B's or A's in both of the history classes I took in my junior year, both of which were honors classes.
    But, if grades don't really matter when they're low, why should they matter when they are high? If I'm not supposed to worry about the C, why am I impressed by the B or A?

Oh, and add me to the Old Codgers list.
    I only said that because HungryJoe attacked my knowledge of history because I reiterated what my history teacher told my class.
  • An idea you might want to try is doing chores really enthusiastically but devising ways to cause great deals of damage in the process while seeming slightly stupid. I got away with this a few times in the past. You cant beat your parents by force; Use subversion.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm still being punished for skipping two hours in eighth grade. That was two years ago. I'm not allowed to drive. I don't have a cell phone. I even would pay for it, but my father will not agree until my mom gets a job for some crazy reason that is not told to me. I'm not some crazy punk kid. The highest I've ever gotten was when I sat on the top of the bleachers at the football game. I don't do all that good well grade wise in school. I hardly passed Geometry. I got a D. My parents are not so crazy unreasonable most of the time. If there is something that I'm not allowed to do, it is usually because of my dad. He is old. And because of this, he is very slow to understand why I would want to do anything that I want to. He is old fashioned and can't get passed what he was taught. He sticks to the stuff that was needed in the 50's. And he can't understand why anyone would want a pair of jeans that cost over 10 dollars. Getting to the point, younger people are maturing faster in this day and age. They get jobs. They have to deal with a lot of shit. What about the teen who has a parent that smokes weed? Or the teen who has to take care of their brother and sisters because their mom is out prostituting herself? You may think that this is an extreme, but it happens in every state to so many children. And when they are put in foster care they are moved from house to house every couple of months. They are forced to grow up faster. In the society that we live in today, kids start having sex in middle school. That's 12,13, and 14 year olds. My high school has a class where you watch babies for an hour. Those babies belong to students that want to still be in school. Should those girls still be treated like children even though they have children themselves? I have two friends that are married. They are both 17. You can join the military at 17. So why are those who are still young not given basic rights that are given to all adults?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • And he can't understand why anyone would want a pair of jeans that cost over 10 dollars.
    I just have to say that I also do not understand why anyone would want jeans that cost over $10. Clothes are for covering your body and keeping warm. Get the cheapest clothes that fit and are also comfortable. T-shirts with geeky things on them are also acceptable.
  • Yeah well I like cute jeans. And, honestly, where can you even find a pair that is only $10? Cause even Wal-Mart is more expensive than that.
  • Yeah well I like cute jeans. And, honestly, where can you even find a pair that is only $10? Cause even Wal-Mart is more expensive than that.
    I do not know many places that have jeans for $10, and this makes me upset.
  • And he can't understand why anyone would want a pair of jeans that cost over 10 dollars.
    I just have to say that I also do not understand why anyone would want jeans that cost over $10. Clothes are for covering your body and keeping warm. Get the cheapest clothes that fit and are also comfortable. T-shirts with geeky things on them are also acceptable.
    What about durability? I would be willing to pay extra for clothes that I know will be durable as well as comfortable, and will last for a long period of time under heavy use.
  • Well, clothes are also like your presentation card. So perhaps you may want to spend a little more to make a better first impression.

• What about durability? I would be willing to pay extra for clothes that I know will be durable as well as comfortable, and will last for a long period of time under heavy use.
    Good point. Also, some clothes are special purpose and are permitted to cost extra money. For example, I am willing to pay lots of extra money for shoes or winter coats because they are heavily used, and I depend on their special properties. No poditatrists or hypothermia for me!
  • edited July 2007
    All I know is that if your mother changed her mind, then tough shit. You have a choice here. You can continue to live in a house, and be fed, not be allowed to go to Otakon, and not get ass raped by drunken hobos, OR you could try for emancipation, live on the street, eat out of a dumpster, get ass raped by drunken hobos, and not be able to afford to go to Otakon.

It's your choice.

Just a suggestion, but if you plan on going the emancipation route, I suggest you invest in some lube beforehand.

Life isn't that great. In fact, it's pretty shitty. Not EVERYTHING happens the way you want it to, otherwise I would own a new bike and have a license to bitch-slap. And I'd have the playboy channel, but that is neither here nor there. You know how you deal with not being adult, and being told what you can and can't do? You sit there and take your lumps. It's THAT damn simple. Is it like she is telling you that you don't have the right to have two legs, so she is going to lop one of them off at the knee? NO.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Well, clothes are also like your presentation card. So perhaps you may want to spend a little more to make a better first impression.
    Too true. If you think that clothes are only about being comfortable, clearly you've never been in high school.

Personally, I just like to look comfortable and cute. I'm willing to spend up to $20 on a shirt because it's saying something about me. Clothes are like unspoken words, and although people SHOULDN'T judge you by what you wear, they do. Presentation should be important to an extent.
  • News flash: High school is insignificant. Grow a pair of balls and ignore the crowd. Want to prove you are cool? Reject the popularity game from the start and just do whatever the fuck you want without fear of repercussions or acceptance.