This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dealing with insane parents.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Hmmm. On this whole discussion, I have to agree with Scott.
    Make note: fifteen year olds agree with Scott.
    So now your insulting my intellectual level based upon my age? That's mature.
    I never implied that, grow a skin here kiddo.

I was merely pointing out that in a thread focusing largely on "children's rights" the children tend to agree with Scott's argument. This is both amusing and enlightening.
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • Hmmm. On this whole discussion, I have to agree with Scott.
    Make note: fifteen year olds agree with Scott.
    So now your insulting my intellectual level based upon my age? That's mature.
    I never implied that, grow a skin here kiddo.

I was merely pointing out that in a thread focusing largely on "children's rights" the children tend to agree with Scott's argument. This is both funny and enlightening.
    I think that we agree with Scott because Scott thinks that we need to learn for ourselves. He sticks up for our independence, which is a nice change.
  • Scott: I didn't want to screw around with + and -. I think that with greater federal mandates in the last 10 years, states' input into those grading scales are being more and more trampled into alignment. Federal manipulation of delegated powers is a topic for another thread, though.
  • Scott: I didn't want to screw around with + and -. I think that with greater federal mandates in the last 10 years, states' input into those grading scales are being more and more trampled into alignment. Federal manipulation of delegated powers is a topic for another thread, though.
    I also am not a fan of + and -. They are pretty much unnecessary.

Feel free to start a thread about federal manipulation of delegated powers if you want to.
  • Well here in the higher grades everything gets rounded to a score between 1 and 15.

1= 15, 14
    2= 13, 12, 11
    3= 10, 9, 8
    4= 7, 6, 5
    5= 4, 3, 2
    6= 1

We don't have much multiple choice tests.
  • All + and - does is give parents more to be mad about. If a kid were to get a B-, the parent would could think of it as a C rather than a B. I'm glad they don't put + or - on report cards in Maryland.
  • edited July 2007
    It's kind of sad that I am actually more of a rational thinker than my mom.
    Conceited much?
    I do not doubt the fact that I am arrogant, a lot of people are.
    Arrogance is an unattractive quality even in people who have a reason to be arrogant. From what I've seen, you have no such reason, making your arrogance doubly unattractive.

If I made a "C" in Algebra II as a junior in high school, I wouldn't be feeling too arrogant. I would especially not feel arrogant about my ability to think rationally, because, outside of Geometry and Logic (if they teach it at your school), it's hard to imagine what high school course at your level would be a better indicator of the ability to think rationally than Algebra.
    It's official, this punk kid is going to his third Otakon this year! YEAH! To all of you who have given me support, I thank you and I hope to see you at Otakon. I will be cosplaying as Urahara Kisuke on Friday and Link on Saturday and Sunday.
    This seems odd . . .
    Grats. So how/why did your mom change her mind?
    I asked her about it and reminded her that I had already paid, she just said yes. It was weird.
    Odder still . . .

Wait, let's review what we know about your earlier statements:
    I openly disobey my mom often . . . I never say that she's insane to her face, only to my dad (which he agrees with that statement) and my friends. . . . I only disobey her when she isn't there and I am very good at covering my tracks, so she doesn't know about that. (from three separate posts on the first page - hungryjoe)
    Good start. So you often openly disobey your mom, and you do it behind her back.

I'll bet that, just as you don't have the guts to tell her she's insane to her face, you wouldn't dare tell her you're "more of a rational thinker" the she is to her face.
    "Openly disobey" was probably not the greatest choice of words. I only disobey her punishments when she isn't home.
    Most honest people don't quibble so much. Also, you admit that your mom can't trust you.
    By the way, in Howard County (where I live) Algebra II is taken in junior year unless you are exceptional at math.
    As I said, I used to teach high school algebra. I live in Montgomery County, Maryland, where I sometime tutor high school students. Based on my experience, I'm highly suspicious of this statement.
    I did get C's for lack of effort, and I told her so.
    So you admit you punted the class. But,
    The funny thing about Algebra II was that I got perfect scores on most of the tests and quizzes. I also handed in most of my work. The problem was the work that wasn't handed in.
    I used to grade algebra students for a living. If you received perfect scores on "most of the tests and quizzes" and you "handed in most" of your work, you wouldn't have received a "C"; unless maybe you received a "0" on a couple of tests and quizzes.

So,
    1. You often openly disobey your mom, and you do it behind her back.
    2. You say your mom is insane behind her back.
    3. After you realized that saying you often openly disobey your mom didn't help your case, you immediately started quibbling by saying you only disobey your mom when she's not home, proving she can't trust you.
    4. I'm still very suspicious about your statement about who takes Algebra II in your school, but that's not as important as:
    5. You admitted you punted the class, and then you turned around and said you received perfect scores on most of your tests. Besides the inherent contradiction, you obviously lied because if you had received so many perfect scores, you wouldn't have received a "C".

How then, should we trust your odd statement that your mom suddenly backed down and decided to let you go? How should we determine that statement's validity based on your proven mendacity?

I'll tell you what I think. I think she didn't back down. I don't think you're going at all. I think you're trying to look cool and save face. After the 'con is over, you'll say, "Hey that was great. Did you see me? I was cosplaying so you might not have recognized me. I was the guy over by the thing . . . yeah that's the ticket."

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you'll actually go. But if you do, it won't be because you think more rationally than your mom. It'll be because she'll be happy to have you out of the house for a weekend.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'll tell you what I think. I think shedidn'tback down. I don't think you're going at all. I think you're trying to look cool and save face. After the 'con is over, you'll say, "Hey that was great. Did you see me? I was cosplaying so you might not have recognized me. I was the guy over by the thing . . . yeah that's the ticket."

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you'll actually go. But if you do, it won't be because you think more rationally than your mom. It'll be because she'll be happy to have you out of the house for a weekend.
    Wow. Interesting conspiracy theory... If he already paid for it then she doesn't really have a reason to waste that money. 0_o
  • edited July 2007
    Wow. Interesting conspiracy theory... If he already paid for it then she doesn't really have a reason to waste that money. 0_o
    No conspiracy needed. Based on what he's said previously, I just don't believe him. Speaking of which, since he's shown his mendacity on so many levels, I don't think we should even believe he "paid for it".

I have no idea why you say "conspiracy". A conspiracy requires more than one person. Are you saying I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist because I don't believe the word of one punk kid who's given me many reasons not to believe him? If you say you think one person is lying, that's hardly espousing a conspiracy theory.
  • No conspiracy needed. Based on what he's said previously, I just don't believe him. Speaking of which, since he's shown his mendacity on so many levels, I don't think we should even believe he "paid for it".

I have no idea why you say "conspiracy". A conspiracy requires more than one person. Are you saying I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist because I don't believe the word of one punk kid who's given me many reasons not to believe him? If you say you think one person is lying, that's hardly espousing a conspiracy theory.
    I just don't see a reason why he would lie to us to "save face". It doesn't really make sense to me. I think your turning this into something it's not, is all. I fully respect your opinion, I'm just rather surprised you think he's lying. Personally, I don't see a reason not to believe him. I could see how his mom might have forgotten that he paid for his preregistration.
  • I just don't see a reason why he would lie to us to "save face". It doesn't really make sense to me. I think your turning this into something it's not, is all. I fully respect your opinion, I'm just rather surprised you think he's lying. Personally, I don't see a reason not to believe him. I could see how his mom might have forgotten that he paid for his preregistration.
    Don't mind joe, he is just going senile.
  • edited July 2007
    It just pisses me off when a punk kid talks about telling people his mother is insane behind her back and then goes onto a board and says he's "more of a rational thinker" than his mom.

The only other thing I can say is I'll bet someday he'll regret that he was such an ass to her.
  • I suspect a good deal of us think that our mothers are insane and we're more capable of rational thought than them.

Any takers?
  • Sturgeon's Corollary: 90 percent of people think they fall into the 10 percent that isn't crap.
  • edited July 2007
    I suspect a good deal of us think that our mothers are insane and we're more capable of rational thought than them.

Any takers?
    Whatever my opinion of my mother has been, I've never called her insane behind her back. And I would've never dreamed of publishing it to the world on the internets (assuming we had the internets back then . . . ).
  • Whatever my opinion of my mother has been, I've never called her insane behind her back.
  • edited July 2007
    Wow, HungryJoe. Just wow. To all that was said above I respond with...
    "I may not agree with a word you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it." -Voltaire

Way to turn me into the next flamminggeek.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited July 2007
    Whatever my opinion of mymotherhas been, I've never called her insane behind her back.
    This is a good example. I never agreed with Mom's decision to leave her body to science, but I never talked about it behind her back.
  • edited July 2007
    "I may not agree with a word you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it." -Voltaire
    If you're such a smart kid, why don't you know that Voltaire never said this? Looks like you got a "C" in history too.

The phrase "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" is widely attributed to Voltaire, but cannot be found in his writings. With good reason. The phrase was invented by a later author as an epitome of his attitude. It appeared in The Friends of Voltaire (1906), written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the pseudonym S[tephen] G. Tallentyre.
    Link
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Whatever my opinion of mymotherhas been, I've never called her insane behind her back.
    This is a good example. I never agreed with Mom's decision to leave her body to science, but I never talked about it behind her back.
    Your mom left her body to science, and you think that's a bad thing?
  • edited July 2007
    If this thread has taught us anything, it's that this forum needs a council of elders. We'd have similar powers to Mr. Period, except that we'd be editing out poor judgment. I nominate Hungryjoe, HMTKSteve and myself.

For the record, I do believe that he's going to Otakon. I also believe that this may be part of the problem. I suspect that his mother often doesn't follow through with her threats. Just a hunch.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited July 2007
    Whatever my opinion of mymotherhas been, I've never called her insane behind her back.
    Your mom left her body to science, and you think that's a bad thing?
    It kinda makes grieving difficult, what with the science guys measuring her skull, writing articles about her, standing her upright, and putting her on display like a Barbie doll. Sis was insisting that we either just leave her where she dropped, or maybe eat her, but I was adamant: This was what Mom wanted.

EDIT: I did let Sis keep some of the fingerbones for her Ur-Voodoo stuff.
  • I respect my parents opinions and wishes, but I believe there is a point where parents need to give their children the independence they need.

For example, a mother and father don't ever let their child travel alone, and always monitor everything they do. The child then becomes used to this. The child is then suddenly thrust into college life (living in a dorm room, paying for everything he or she does, traveling on his or her own), and doesn't know how to deal with it all. So, using his or her new found power of the credit card, he or she maxes it out and is already in debt. He or she then has to find a job and pay off the card, providing physical and emotional stress on his school life.

If the child had been given the chance to learn how to spend his or her own money, this may not have happened.
  • I do not doubt the fact that I am arrogant, a lot of people teenagers Rym and Scott are.
    Fixed it for you.
    You made a typo.
    We'd have similar powers to Mr. Period, except that we'd be editing out poor judgment. I nominate Hungryjoe, HMTKSteve and myself.
    Oh, so now the old codgers want to get rid of free speech, too? ^_~
  • Didn't he say his Dad paid for Otakon? Maybe I was reading into that . . . but you know . . .

• It kinda makes grieving difficult, what with the science guys measuring her skull, writing articles about her, standing her upright, and putting her on display like a Barbie doll. Sis was insisting that we either just leave her where she dropped, or maybe eat her, but I was adamant: This was what Mom wanted.

I don't see why you need a corpse to grieve.
  • My history teacher used that quote often and told us that he said it. Our textbook even said that Voltaire said it, I'm just using what I learned.
  • edited July 2007

It kinda makes grieving difficult, what with the science guys measuring her skull, writing articles about her, standing her upright, and putting her on display like a Barbie doll. Sis was insisting that we either just leave her where she dropped, or maybe eat her, but I was adamant: This was what Mom wanted.

I don't see why you need a corpse to grieve.
    You wouldn't think it would make so much difference, but it does. Of course, there's a cast of her at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, but we know that if we really want to see her, we have to go to Addis Ababa.
  • Our textbook even said that Voltaire said it
    Where'd you learn to cite your sources?
  • edited July 2007
    My history teacher used that quote often and told us that he said it. Our textbook even said that Voltaire said it, I'm just using what I learned.
    See, this is the type of thing we've been saying all along. Mr. "Rational Thought" thinks that because he has a hazy memory of his teacher saying it and an even more unreliable memory of his unreliable textbook saying it, it must be true. Of course, he gets "C"'s so who knows where he heard it. It might have been on Bullwinkle.

This is the type of dense-ness that makes it dangerous to let the punk kids out on their own.