This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• I've been listening to some Deathspell Omega lately. I don't think I can keep it up much longer; their work is disturbing in a way that I'm altogether unused to in music, and it's bothering me on some deep level.

To quote Wikipedia, "Their lyrical content deals primarily with Satanism on a metaphysical level – as the band has stated that "all other interpretations of Satan are intellectually invalid."" This leads to a lot of incredibly malevolent lyrics which are delivered with a sort of deadpan ferocity I'm not accustomed to seeing with metal groups:

"Every human being not going to the extreme limit is the servent or the enemy of man and the accomplice of a nameless obscenity."

"It is at the magnitude of daily murders, massacres and mass graves, that we do measure the propagation of our faith."

"Let us be a blight on the orchard, on all orchards of this world, even the least of these words will be judged during the times of reckoning, bearing a latent damnation a feverish seduction exasperated in death, every letter is a code to extreme horror, utter contempt and divine conflict; it is lethal to speak the language of resistance, every gasp exhales a particle of the remission of Golgotha, as if the blazing Logos demanded the exercise of a task for a man who cannot bear any longer to be, a chore for the lost in the denial of free will: perinde ac cadaver!"

Their entire lyrical body reads like a paean to a malevolent deity. Combine these lyrics with the immensely aggressive and hateful instrumental work that accompanies them, and I'm finding myself less and less comfortable with this.
    I've been listening to Paracletus again, because fuck these guys are brilliant.

Even with all of the amazingly dark, hateful, self-harming music I listen to - if you really want to feel down, spin some Altar of Plagues some time - this is the only band that really makes me uncomfortable and almost nauseous at times. Skitliv makes my skin crawl; Deathspell Omega makes me want to claw my ears out to stop the pure evil pouring into them.
  • BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Holy shit that is the most awesome picture ever.
    My favorite part of this map is that it looks exactly how you would predict it should look.
  • Forget Norway. Finland is where the metal's at!
    Norway is known mostly for its black metal. Finland is known for all sorts of metal.
    Finland is known for all sorts of metal.
    Mostly folk metal, though. But that's cool - I need angry drinking music!

Maybe I'll just move to Sweden and visit both. Get my complete metal experience.
    I wanted to be the first to post that! But the level of Canadian Metal Bands over American Metal Bands is a tad surprising.
  • edited April 2012
    These guys opened for Mastodon and Opeth last night. It was one of the most evil things I have ever seen.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Holy shit, they sound so much better live. I love what they bring back to the table, I really missed these type of theatrics on my metal, not going to lie. Most of the bands that do this type of things are laughable.
  • edited May 2012
    Even if you think you are ready to listen to Dopesmoker, you're not ready to listen to Dopesmoker. No, this is not a loop. Yes, the song is over an hour long.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Just got done listening to the remastered rerelease of Dopesmoker. Shit is heavier than a neutron star.

• You know, there is a lot of heavy shit getting played over here which is all well and good, but sometimes you need some lighter metal that does ballads about Rommels Panzer Ghost Division.
  • edited May 2012
    Jag Panzer is terrible in many ways, but fuck you:

Sometimes, you need some power metal.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I will never forgive you for this, Pete.
  • Sunday is Trad Doom Day.

So, Korpiklaani's next album is shaping up to be pretty interesting. They're doing the entire album in both Finnish and English, which is potentially pretty cool. But they're also covering Ievan Polkka, which some of you may know from Leek Spin. I'm excited.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150979434895350&set=a.10150672845350350.453726.9283120349&type=1&theater
  • New Baroness is hotness, although less metal.

• http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/11

Ihsahn's new solo album. Streaming. For free. It continues the avant jazz-fusion thing he's been doing lately. Excellent stuff.
  • Did you know there is an entire podcast called "Open Metalcast" which consists entirely of Creative Commons licensed metal?

http://www.metalinjection.net/podcasts/open-metalcast/open-metalcast-episode-51-60-minutes-to-midnight

Did you know they introduced me to this amazing Russian folk-metal?

• edited July 2012
    Dunno if it has been mentioned but the newest ETID cd is pretty tip top. Also the new Architects cd despite it's shallow lyricism.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • HOLY. SHIT. You will realize when you get to that point.