This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Apreche said:

Yesss! No have to listen to Seahawk's fans all offseason. Also, nice low-class display there starting a fight after losing the game. They could have just lost with dignity, but nope. They gotta leave EVERYTHING on the field.

That's the type of play that will haunt a team for decades.

• Andrew said:

Apreche said:

Yesss! No have to listen to Seahawk's fans all offseason. Also, nice low-class display there starting a fight after losing the game. They could have just lost with dignity, but nope. They gotta leave EVERYTHING on the field.

That's the type of play that will haunt a team for decades.

No, THIS is a play that will haunt a team for decades.

• Ro be all on social networks like "stop hating we're not bandwagon fans." Well, here's proof she's a bandwagon fan.

http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/discussion/comment/223488/#Comment_223488
  • Yes, I had little to no interest in this team back then. I got interested in the 2012 season, when Russell Wilson.

But since then, I became a huge fan. So much that I consumed anything that had to do with Seahawks and also football.

After a few years, I'm now a football fan on top of a being a Seahawks fan and will continue to be one. Yeah, so I'm new at all this. So what? I'm staying strong. I'm not switching. I'm not jumping off.

I don't have to prove jack or shit to any of you. I guess I'm a fake geek girl to your standards.

Eat a dick, Scott.
  • I wholeheartedly rooted for the Seahawks during this postseason. I wanted a lasting legacy of multiple superbowl-winners (Steelers, Giants, and hopefully the Seahawks) to put a dent in the Patriot's chapter of the history books. I am not looking forward to being 50 and having to hear about Brady and Bellicheck as the greatest football dynasty of all time. Some minor scandals coupled with a history of Superbowl failures late in their careers would have given me some satisfaction. Now the legacy of evil has been cemented.

The end of that game was a real punch in the dick. All the better to prepare me for... BASEBALL SEASON!!!
  • I find it hilarious that Scott "I won't buy merch of my favorite team if they have a bad season" Rubin attempts to call out people for being bandwagoners.
  • chaosof99 said:

I find it hilarious that Scott "I won't buy merch of my favorite team if they have a bad season" Rubin attempts to call out people for being bandwagoners.

That's superstition, not front running.
  • Apreche said:

That's superstition, not front running.

And you care about superstition because....?
  • Ro, I think you have a misunderstanding here. I want you to read this seriously, it's not trash talk, and I'm not joking.

When someone calls someone a bandwagon fan, or a front runner, they are not saying that the person is not a real fan. They are not denying the person has real passion. They are not saying the person is a fake fan. Especially in your case, I think someone who have to be pretty stupid to say that you are just pretending to like the Seahawks.

The problem with being a recent fan of a team that is doing well is that you haven't suffered. You never had to sit and watch your team suck year after year. You walked in the door and got the joy of victory right away. People who have suffered with shitty teams for decades with your team, or with other teams, are going to resent you for only being there during the good times.

The other important lesson you have to learn, which applies to board games as well, is that you should always use post-hoc trash talk, and not pre-hoc. Only lay the verbal smackdown AFTER laying the actual smackdown.

The more you pump yourself up in advance, the bigger your fall is going to be if you don't win. Also, the more you pump yourself up, the more you invite schadenfreude. Since you are making your fall that much harder with every word you say, you make more and more people want to see that fall happen. Bigger falls are more exciting to watch!

Notice when we play board games I never say any trash talk about a game we haven't played yet, or a game we are playing now. I always trash about games that have finished already. Like at PAX South. I think my primary trash talk was "Who's the sheriff?" and I only said that after I had become the Sheriff of Nottingham. Not one word was uttered on the subject in advance. I never talked about becoming the Wizard, but you can be damn sure that if I won a game of Wizard, I would have made sure to remind you who was the all powerful wizard.

Before and during every Netrunner game at a tournament all I talk about is how I'm about to lose. Oh, I'm going to suck. Oh, I'm going to get my ass kicked. It's over, you win. If I come in the door like "I'm taking this. You other runners got nothing on me!" I'll probably be immediately DQ'd for unsportsmanlike conduct. That's exactly what Seahawks fans are doing, and that's why it's hard to like you guys.

The last thing you have to learn is to hate your own team and your own players. This is the ultimate defense against haters. Watch this.

If we Mets fans acted like Seahawks fans we would have said things like "Screw you Yankees!" and "It's ok Luis, you'll get it next time!" The fact is that the stiff piece of shit Castillo dropped the fucking ball and lost us the game. We Mets fans booed the fuck out of him from that point forward. Every time he came out on the field in future games, a rain of boos descended upon him from the fans of his own team. I think I remember even booing him when he got a hit.

This fills the hate space. No other hate can enter, because there is no more room. Other fans have no way to talk about how we suck, because we already said it. If we said things like "Mets are going to win!" That gives them room to say things like "No, I think they'll drop the ball again." You can't even give them the opportunity. Only say negative things before you win, and save the positive for only after you've already won.

Booing our own team might seem so alien to you that it makes you question our passion. I can assure you that us NY sports fans are just as passionate as you Seattle fans. We just express it in a different way. I don't want to say it's the right way, because I don't think there can be a right or wrong way to express yourself.

I do want to say it is a strategic way. By expressing our passion as self-hating, there are so many advantages. Mostly is that we are always the underdog, and we don't invite hate. The only negative things people can say about us are things we have already said ourselves. It also creates great sports news. In the same year we won the Super Bowl, there are newspaper articles about firing our coach! Even when we're really good, we say we suck so much we end up believing we suck and that the coach should be fired.

It's definitely victim blaming to say that someone is inviting hate, but it's a fact of sports fandom. Unlike other fandoms, for say a movie, there is actual competition. If some Pokemon fan is hating on Ponies, it's not like those two things are in a competition with each other. But sports teams most definitely are. Just as teams battle other teams, their fans must also battle. If you talk, you are creating a space for others to reply.

I don't even hate the Seahawks. I would definitely much rather see them win than most other NFL teams. But because of the way in which you express your passion, it makes me and many other people want to see you lose.

It may be hard for you to switch over, but next year just try out some baby steps. When Russel throws an interception (It's going to happen at least once) try booing him. You're probably going to make the playoffs. Before each game say "We're going to lose so hard. We suck." Like salt on food, the lowered expectations make winning that much sweeter. Every win is a miracle. And after you win, nobody can touch you.
  • Apreche said:

You never had to sit and watch your team suck year after year. You walked in the door and got the joy of victory right away.

Cubs fans, the only true fans.

• Churba said:

Apreche said:

You never had to sit and watch your team suck year after year. You walked in the door and got the joy of victory right away.

Bitchs know nothing of pain till you have been a Nottingham Forrest fan. Now that has been nearly fifteen years of unhappiness.

On the topic of hand egg this was my first Super Bowel. My friend and I chose Seahawks because of Nirvana and Jimmy Hendricks. It was really cool to watch and I defiantly want to watch some more games. That being said I don't understand why people are 'naners for Brady. the Dude just threw the ball and that was all. Wilson, or at least I think it was him the Hawks QB, was running all over the shop and really working. Also Brady has a stupid face.
  • New England is in an odd spot in this regard. I don't really follow sports, but a bunch of my friends do, and I watched the Superbowl with them last night. (I was spontaneously hugged by a large Greek rugby player at that last interception, it was scary.)

Most of New England's teams were terrible for a long time, but then suddenly got better. Last night makes 9 championships since 2001. Boston had the syndrome of rooting for go-nowhere teams, but then finally got the wins they wanted. Now after a few years of success, it seems like we are the bad guys to the rest of the country. And we love it.

My friends will engage in ALL of the pre-hoc trash talk, and if their team loses, they can still get some enjoyment out of seeing the Rebels celebrate after beating the Empire, even if their team IS the Empire.

They've been on both sides of the story, and they can appreciate what it's like to be the underdogs telling their story, and the bad guys that get defeated in someone else's story.
  • Amp said:

Bitchs know nothing of pain till you have been a Nottingham Forrest fan. Now that has been nearly fifteen years of unhappiness.

The cubs haven't taken a World Series in 107 years. There's only about 18 people who are verified to have been alive the last time they took it.
  • Churba said:

Amp said:

The cubs haven't taken a World Series in 107 years. There's only about 18 people who are verified to have been alive the last time they took it.
    Have you seen Nottingham! That alone is the one of the worst bits of it. You could replace its current team with a loaf of bread, three school girls and the Dacia Sandero and still have a better team. We lost 5-0 Derby! Fucking Derby! Thats like getting the shit kicked out of you by a pacifist. They used to be good, they had a lot of amazing history. But now the drugs have gone to their heads, caused brain damage and all the team can manage is to not dribble when in front of the camera.
  • Amp said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

On the topic of hand egg this was my first Super Bowel. My friend and I chose Seahawks because of Nirvana and Jimmy Hendricks. It was really cool to watch and I defiantly want to watch some more games. That being said I don't understand why people are 'naners for Brady. the Dude just threw the ball and that was all. Wilson, or at least I think it was him the Hawks QB, was running all over the shop and really working. Also Brady has a stupid face.
    I will explain to you why Belichick and Brady are gods of football. It is precisely because they are the least exciting.

The way to win at any game, football or otherwise, is to play conservatively. You manage your risk/reward ratios and gets as many rewards with as little risk as possible. The way the Patriots do this is by running a lot of short safe plays very quickly. The short passing play gets them the highest reward with the least risk.

Brady's high level of practice makes him particularly good at executing those plays extremely well. It doesn't look impressive because it's just a bunch of boring short passes, but other QB's and teams don't, and can't, do it nearly as well. Otherwise, they would.

The Seahawks, and even the Giants that beat the Patriots, rely more on big offensive plays. They need Beast Mode miracles to happen. They need Wilson to get a big sneaky run. They need a huge passing play to happen. These strategies are much much riskier. The odds of success are much lower, but they have enough attempts, and the reward for the successes they get is huge.

Risky plays are much more exciting to watch. When someone succeeds at them, they seem much more impressive. When you pull off a miracle, they seem like they are a better player to the untrained eye. But there's a reason these Patriots have in the past 13 years been to the Super Bowl 6 times. That's a 50% rate. They've won 4 of those. That's basically %30 Super Bowl win rate. Since 2001 their regular season record is 170-54. That's 75% win rate.

TL;DR: The Patriots are boring because they are pure dominance. They play low risk highly effective football. It's hard to appreciate as an average fan because it's the least flashy play style you can possibly ever see.
  • Apreche said:

TL;DR: The Patriots are boring because they are pure dominance. They play low risk highly effective football. It's hard to appreciate as an average fan because it's the least flashy play style you can possibly ever see.

And if we get really picky, it's not the first time a team used similar offensive strategies to be successful. Joe Montana, Brady's childhood idol, also ran an offense that was based around lots of quick, short passes, and said offense led to the 49ers dominating the 80s and winning 4 super bowls during his time there, followed by a fifth under his successor, Steve Young, who also ran a similar offense.

Belichick tends to gamble a lot more on the defensive side of the ball, but he's something of a mad genius when it comes to defensive strategies. He does have two defensive game plans in the Football Hall of Fame: one from when the Patriots beat the Rams in the 2001/2002 Super Bowl and the other from when he was defensive coordinator for the Giants back in the 1990/1991 Super Bowl (the same game with the video you posted of Scott Norwood missing the field goal). Both plans were similar in that they used a relatively unorthodox plan of yielding to the run but flooding the defensive backfield with tons of hard-hitting defensive backs to cover high-octane deep passing offenses. Although, despite being unorthodox, I suppose you could also call it "conservative." Most teams would try to blitz like crazy to slow down a high-octane offense, but Belichick went with the more conservative plan of simply flooding the defensive backfield with cover guys.
  • Even though his team lost, it looks like Sherm is now pimping Google. Check out the new banner ad.

• Free agency....

I'm getting excited
  • Is there a baseball thread? I tuned in to a bit of the Mets Marlins game today, and the stadium had more people in than I've ever seen since maybe the Beatles concert? Looks like genuine excitement early in the season. Also that fourth innings was pretty crazy. I had to go out part way through, because it lasted so long, but what I saw was fun.
  • The mariners game yesterday was fairly uneventful until the last couple innings. They're getting blasted by the Rangers currently.
  • edited April 2015
    2015 schedule is out. The excitement has begun.

I wouldn't mind going to the Lions/Steelers/Browns game.

Also week 2, at GB. Interesting.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Is there a baseball thread? I tuned in to a bit of the Mets Marlins game today, and the stadium had more people in than I've ever seen since maybe the Beatles concert? Looks like genuine excitement early in the season. Also that fourth innings was pretty crazy. I had to go out part way through, because it lasted so long, but what I saw was fun.

There was at one point, but I'm not able to find it. I vote that we hijack the football thread until baseball season is over.

The hype around the Mets is deafening at this point, and they are delivering! Turning hype into results, which is rare. Us Mets fans have one of the larger inferiority complexes in professional sports, and since the team's 2006 deep playoff run, it's been a particularly bad stretch. Mets fans have been desperate for a reason to get excited again.

I listed to the radio on the night that Matt Harvey returned to Citi Field. The noise was incredible. It sounded like a playoff game, but it was only the second home game of the season. Perhaps having a pretty rough winter, weather-wise, contributed to the fans getting their butts out to the stadium. I get a general vibe that people in this area are really itching to get outside into the nice weather again. Baseball season is one of the first signs that summer is coming.

• Mets tickets acquired for May 15th. Time to get on the bandwagon.
  • Man. All this baseball talk. I got excited thinking people are talking about hand egg.

Draft this week. Should be interesting.

Crazy Draft Prediction: San Diego trades with Tennessee for 2nd pick for Philip Rivers so SD can draft Marcus Mariota.
  • Is that crazy? I've been hearing about it for weeks. Rivers has made veiled threats about leaving if they move to LA.
  • True but it's such a gamble to put your trust in a rookie vs a QB that is tough as nails and has skills. Good QBs are few and far between in this league.

If anything, perhaps the Titans will be decent.
  • Of course anything could still happen, and he might turn out to be a total bust. But, I'm a little surprised people seem to be so (relatively) low on Mariota. Can anyone think of another kind-of-small, scrambley, super-accurate QB with off-the-charts intangibles, a great college record, and relatively low draft stock?
  • edited April 2015
    Edit: nevermind.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Starfox said:

Of course anything could still happen, and he might turn out to be a total bust. But, I'm a little surprised people seem to be so (relatively) low on Mariota. Can anyone think of another kind-of-small, scrambley, super-accurate QB with off-the-charts intangibles, a great college record, and relatively low draft stock?

Russell Carrington Wilson.