This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Sail, I wish I had curls like that. You should grow your hair out really long.
    I've thought about it, mostly because I hate getting haircuts. The dilemma is that long hair requires even more maintenance.
  • edited January 2010

Safety notice: Never, ever, run with your tongue sticking out.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Nujabes. Awesome.
  • Video
    Nujabes. Awesome.
    I'm going through Tokyo Mango's archives. Much TOTD material.
  • That is a circular staircase/slide combo!
  • YES.
    I'm putting one of those in my house.
  • YES.
    I'm putting one of those in my house.
    I don't know; fire poles are pretty goddamn awesome too.
  • Someday Technology is going to put all of us out of our jobs
    Behold, an open source program that models human beings automatically.
    I welcome our robot overloads, except if it's cleverbot, he's a real asshole.
  • edited January 2010
    If you've never been to Venice Beach, these videos give a pretty accurate depiction of the kind of people you run into there.

NSFW language:
    Post edited by Sail on
  • First Person Tetris.This is amazing, but it might make you feel dizzy after a while.
    I am a god at playing Tetris and I can't do that! I can't! It's too dizzy and swirly!
    Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I got to level 2 on my first try...of course, having the space key instead of the up arrow as rotate really screws with my skillz, so I didn't get much farther.
  • I don't know; fire poles are pretty goddamn awesome too.
    You just need a spiral staircase/slide big enough to have a fire pole down the middle.
  • Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I got to level 2 on my first try...of course, having the space key instead of the up arrow as rotate really screws with my skillz, so I didn't get much farther.
    I got to level 2 no problem, and played through half of it, but the perspective really started making me a bit nauseous.
  • You just need a spiral staircase/slide big enough to have a fire pole down the middle.
    That's actually not a bad idea as the steps would be further from the center and thus easier to step on.
  • I don't know; fire poles are pretty goddamn awesome too.
    You just need a spiral staircase/slide big enough to have a fire pole down the middle.
    I was just thinking that. Plus, a fire pole has a more sophisticated/less childish vibe to it.

The spiral staircase-cum-firepole just got added to my dream house designs. Preferably in the library. "What? My copy of Blood Meridian is on one of the lower shelves!? AWAY!!!!!!"
  • Preferably in the library.
    Your library is 3 stories high, right? And completely open? That would rock.
  • Video
    Nujabes. Awesome.
    video
    Hahaha. That's awesome.
  • Preferably in the library.
    Your library is 3 stories high, right? And completely open? That would rock.
    The one I'm have planned is two stories, each floor with cathedral "ceilings" (as it is indeed completely open), and has floor to ceiling shelves with rolling stepladders. Bookshelves exist in the open space on the first floor (though low to the ground), except for the space occupied by a gentlemanly parlor. A balcony floor necessitates the pole and staircase.

The ceiling is still being considered. I wish I could do an entirely glass geodesic dome so I'd have a constant view of the sky and sunlight everywhere, but it'd likely look appalling from the outside.
  • The one I'm have planned is two stories, each floor with cathedral "ceilings" (as it is indeed completely open), and has floor to ceiling shelves with rolling stepladders. Bookshelves exist in the open space on the first floor (though low to the ground), except for the space occupied by a gentlemanly parlor. A balcony floor necessitates the pole and staircase.

The ceiling is still being considered. I wish I could do an entirely glass geodesic dome so I'd have a constant view of the sky and sunlight everywhere, but it'd likely look appalling from the outside.
    Dream room ideas thread this not is.
  • Dream room ideas thread this not is.
    Forum known for being on topic?
  • video
    God damn wolf-shirted hipsters.
  • video
    God damn wolf-shirted hipsters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHB1_ZmSDrs
    Pretty cool, but my guess is that it's just morphing between a bunch of models -- models someone had to make by hand. And I don't know if you'd really want to use any model this program can come up with. In any case, no matter how good technology gets (and it'll certainly take a lot of the grunt work out of this sort of stuff), you're always going to need artists to design and direct it. I think your job is safe. :)
  • edited January 2010
    I don't know if these would be funnier if the host wasn't exactly the kind of person he is looking to make fun of, or if that irony makes it even funnier.

Edit: Oh geeze I just finished that video, Sail. "Wolf shirt wearing retarded" from the girls wearing multicolored raybands.

Post edited by whatever on
  • edited January 2010
    Edit: Oh geeze I just finished that video, Sail. "Wolf shirt wearing retarded" from the girls wearing multicolored raybands.
    Bingo.

And I don't know, but I'm definitely finding these videos hilarious either way.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Gabe did a new piece of Lookouts art.
  • edited January 2010
    Dance, Robot! Dance!

Animal and plant in one sea slug!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on