This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• My thing of the day is this list of problems that MacGyver solved.
    from XKCD
  • Mega Man 9 bashing. Here come the hate mail....

There is something to be said for a game that doesn't innovate in the sequels. Yet, sometimes, it is not necessary for any innovation to occur between sequels. Let me explain.

If Warcraft 2 had the same user interface as Warcraft 1, people would have rightfully shunned it for not improving over the prequel. Why is this? It's because Warcraft 1 had a bad interface. Sure, it was fine at the time, for being the first modern RTS, but it had some big flaws. Warcraft 2 improved a lot, and Starcraft improved a lot more.

Mega Man 1 had some flaws. Mega Man 2 really didn't have any. It's such a simple game that it doesn't take much to effectively perfect it. Asking to add more to Mega Man, besides maybe the slide, is asking too much.

Think about a milk shake. A vanilla milk shake is damn good. Drinking another one, even though you have had one before, is also good. You might be able to improve upon it by mixing in some cookie or such, but adding too much is just going to ruin it. If every time you go to the ice cream stand you ask for more and more things in your shake, eventually you won't be able to fit any actual shake in the cup. Meanwhile, having a plain vanilla shake every time will still be damn good.

If a game has problems, it's fair to expect a sequel to fix those problems. If a game has really figured out its formula, and it's tasty like a milk shake, expect the sequels to just be more of the same tasty shake. If you get tired of vanilla shakes, then maybe it's time for you to try a different game, like strawberry shake, or cookiewich. If you aren't bored of vanilla shake yet, it's still good, and it's always there waiting for you.
    There is something to be said for a game that doesn't innovate in the sequels. Yet, sometimes, it is not necessary for any innovation to occur between sequels. Let me explain.

If Warcraft 2 had the same user interface as Warcraft 1, people would have rightfully shunned it for not improving over the prequel. Why is this? It's because Warcraft 1 had a bad interface. Sure, it was fine at the time, for being the first modern RTS, but it had some big flaws. Warcraft 2 improved a lot, and Starcraft improved a lot more.

Mega Man 1 had some flaws. Mega Man 2 really didn't have any. It's such a simple game that it doesn't take much to effectively perfect it. Asking to add more to Mega Man, besides maybe the slide, is asking too much.

Think about a milk shake. A vanilla milk shake is damn good. Drinking another one, even though you have had one before, is also good. You might be able to improve upon it by mixing in some cookie or such, but adding too much is just going to ruin it. If every time you go to the ice cream stand you ask for more and more things in your shake, eventually you won't be able to fit any actual shake in the cup. Meanwhile, having a plain vanilla shake every time will still be damn good.

If a game has problems, it's fair to expect a sequel to fix those problems. If a game has really figured out its formula, and it's tasty like a milk shake, expect the sequels to just be more of the same tasty shake. If you get tired of vanilla shakes, then maybe it's time for you to try a different game, like strawberry shake, or cookiewich. If you aren't bored of vanilla shake yet, it's still good, and it's always there waiting for you.
    The Heroes of Might and Magic series of PC games does this exact thing. At this point, they've worked out all the flaws in the games, and now they just add a few more shiny bits and some polish.
  • Is it that much different than people who like to replay the same game over and over? I plan on playing everything in the Zelda series from LttP to today (I haven't played WW onwards due to lack of mullah). Megaman isn't the kind of gameplay I like, mostly due to the amount of variety available in platform games but people who like it will probably not get tired for a long time to come; No-one has got bored of Tetris yet.
  • We have such technology now, but we use it all to make super fancy 3d games. I wish someone would just use it to make a super humongous 2d game. Imagine Super Mario World, or Super Mario 3, with 50 wolds, instead of 8. Imagine the original Legend of Zelda with an overworld that is 10 times as large, and ten times the dungeons! Oh, and each dungeon will be twice as large! Imagine a Mega Man game with 32 robot masters.

Imagine Super Metroid where the game is 10 times as large.

Oh yeah, now we're talking the business!
  • We have such technology now, but we use it all to make super fancy 3d games. I wish someone would just use it to make a super humongous 2d game. Imagine Super Mario World, or Super Mario 3, with 50 wolds, instead of 8. Imagine the original Legend of Zelda with an overworld that is 10 times as large, and ten times the dungeons! Oh, and each dungeon will be twice as large! Imagine a Mega Man game with 32 robot masters.

Imagine Super Metroid where the game is 10 times as large.

Oh yeah, now we're talking the business!
    I have been dreaming about this for years! Now if a homebrewer would only make it into a reality....

Also should be noted that the plug man joke John did in the video was priceless.
  • Nice to know John can explain to fanboys that they are wasting their own time.

• The spam I got is my thing of the day.

Erase the memories of your failures

Your South Pork is now big long and uncut
    http://www.frienddesire.com/
  • I clicked twice. :P
  • As long as the second was a right click, that's fine.
  • As long as the second was a right click, that's fine.
    I'd like to say that I did... :(
  • Why didn't you save that for April fools.
  • You magnificent bastard.
  • Why didn't you save that for April fools.
    Too obvious. Today was the perfect day to post it.
  • ...You bastard.

:P
  • So, I think I posted a while back a video that my friend Tim and his friend Dom made. Well, they made a short film, called Billy Goat Caller. I laughed a lot.

• How to be an ass in Age of Conan
  • Billy Goat Caller
    What is that music at the beginning? I want to say it's from Home Alone but I'm not sure.
  • edited July 2008
    Sorry Mr. M but I think that has already been posted.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The Muppets' rendition of Stars and Stripes Forever
  • That eagle looks like Gerald.
  • What is that music at the beginning? I want to say it's from Home Alone but I'm not sure.
    Theme from Liar Liar.
  • The Muppets' rendition ofStars and Stripes Forever
    Muppets ftw! It's nice to see that they are still doing things with those characters.
  • edited July 2008
    I got this art book for FLCL today at AX. It was overpriced but I had to get it because I'm too big of a fan of this show and I didn't think I'd ever see this book again if I passed it up. It's really fun to look through, mostly due to the fact that they blew 26 episodes of animation budget on just six. The amount of detail that goes into just robots falling apart is amazing.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I don't know what that show is, but that artwork is just mind blowing.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't know what that show is, but that artwork is just mind blowing.
    Wait wait wait, never heard of FLCL? Go order the DVDs off Amazon right away. You won't be disappointed.

@Sail: are any pages full color?
    Post edited by whatever on