This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited June 2008
    I know Rym and Scott are big fans of Horatio Hornblower, so this might not be anything new, but since I've only just listened to it today for the first time, its new to me. My thing of the day is the 1952 Old Time Radio version of Horatio Hornblower. To be completely honest, I've never read the books or seen the films, so I can't these shows compare, but after listening to the first two episodes I have to say that I was quite entertained and I'm going to listen to many more.
    Horatio Hornblower OTR
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • Combine a top 10 list with 2 informative messages and a PSA and what do you get?

The top 11 Drug PSAs check it out.
  • I saw 2 rainbows today one over the other. There was no rain of skittles nor a pot o' gold. Sucks.
  • I saw 2 rainbows today one over the other. There was no rain of skittles nor a pot o' gold. Sucks.
    Nice 1234 get.
  • Alright, is this a great piggybank, or greatest piggy bank?
  • Surprised to see no-one has posted this I'll keep things brief.
  • Surprised to see no-one has postedthisI'll keep things brief.
    Well we all seen it in that thread anyway. Either way that is thing of the month.
  • edited June 2008
    Then I do so for posterity.

Found that in the related videos.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited June 2008
    Surprised no one has posted this yet, even though it's been out for a couple days now and has nearly two million views on YouTube alone already. Maybe my posting this video won't be news to many people, but it's still my personal thing of the day, so why the hell not? :)

Where The Hell Is Matt? 2008
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • My kind of football:
  • My kind of football:
    "... before pouncing to STEAL a goal." Pathetic football, players being assholes for the sake of being assholes. FUCK YOU LOSER! (note, directed at that lame striker)
  • edited June 2008
    My kind of football:
    "... before pouncing to STEAL a goal." Pathetic football, players being assholes for the sake of being assholes. FUCK YOU LOSER! (note, directed at that lame striker)
    Well, if the rules allow it, then good on the guy I say. The goalie's team failed, they could've at least warned him or something.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • My kind of football:
    Well, if the rules allow it, then good on the guy I say. The goalie's team failed, they could've at least warned him or something.
    That's true yes, however, something exists called good sportsmanship. Where's the finesse, the honor in that goal? Look from it this way, that is the only goal scored in that game. Do you think the winning team deserves victory? Even when the losing team deserved it more outside of that stolen goal?

And I myself am somewhat in doubt whether it's allowed by the rules or not, offside rules are tricky.
  • My kind of football:
    That's true yes, however, something exists called good sportsmanship. Where's the finesse, the honor in that goal? Look from it this way, that is the only goal scored in that game. Do you think the winning team deserves victory? Even when the losing team deserved it more outside of that stolen goal?

And I myself am somewhat in doubt whether it's allowed by the rules or not, offside rules are tricky.
    I don't know if that's against the offisde rules or not. If it is not within the rules, then the goal shouldn't have counted, and there's no issue. If it is within the rules, then it's perfectly fine.

Let me give you an analogous example from baseball. In baseball if you get four balls, if the pitcher beans you, or if there is a balk, the batter is allowed a free walk to first base. In professional and semi-professional baseball, players walk casually to first base. In little league, kids are encourage to run as fast as they can to first base. Depending on the situation, the kids will be told to continue running to second base to try to steal. It's a very tricky move, but it's perfectly legal. It's a little underhanded, because it is very easy to catch the pitcher off guard, but it works and it helps you win.

Why isn't this play used in the major leagues? It's not because it's against the rules or considered unsportsmanlike. It's because major league players are so good that they will never be fooled by this. If that stolen goal is not against the rules of Soccer, then it is perfectly ok. All it shows is that the keeper really sucked to be fooled by a little league trick.
  • What is it about this movie? Jesse Ventura, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and now this guy.
  • If it is not within the rules, then the goal shouldn't have counted
    Yeah, it's within the rules, I did not recall the video 100% when I made that post.
    Let me give you an analogous example from baseball.
    Not that analogous as you might think. I've played baseball, well softball, since the field couldn't be made big enough for relative safe/fair above hand throwing, I know those rules and have stolen bases. The point is, it's specifically explained on how to steal a base. It is a part of the game, an important part, it's a used tactic. Pitchers are trained to respond to such situations. In the case of football, it's unheard off. The goalie has the ball, in his hands, and as a player you can't do anything then. Because of this all players walk away, a fair distance, since the goalie is going to kick it far, at least over the center line, thus the goalies team wants to have as many players as possible as far as possible forward, to help the attack, in response the other team's players pull back to defend and not be offside in a fast counter when they recover the ball. Football goalies are not trained to roll spot checks against bastards who are explicitly hiding behind them. It's not against the rules, but it's very unsportsmanlike. Also, that video IS little league. An entire side of the field has no benches/supporters.

It's not that analogous as you think, see?
    The goalie's team failed, they could've at least warned him or something.
    Also, after watching it again, how would his team have warned him? They too didn't expect anything and were walking AWAY from him, backs to the goalie. That's why that trick worked. Nobody, other than the audience, and possibly the referees, saw the guy.
  • It's not that analogous as you think, see?
    I don't think it's unsportsmanlike at all. In fact, it is very sportsman like. A good sportsman will do everything they can possibly do in order to win the game within the rules. What's unsportsmanlike would be if the goalie were to bitch and moan and complain to the referee after it happened. A good sportsman isn't a sore loser or winner. Good sportsmanship is trying to win to the best of your ability, without cheating, and not getting the wrong emotions about it.
  • edited June 2008
    One might argue that sportsmanship includes trying to win to the best of your abilities, within the rules.

Edit: Ah, that's what I get for taking too long to post. I agree with Scott.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • As mentioned in last Wednesday's show: POOP SIGN!

• edited June 2008

What Sailor Moon COULD have been in America.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • As mentioned in last Wednesday's show: POOP SIGN!
    Aha! That's Chris Yates in that video. He's the wooden ghost guy. He shares a table at MoCCA with David Malki! every year. Rym was mistaken in thinking that David was responsible for the poop sign, when it was actually Chris.
  • Ah yeah, I was confused at first too when I went to the poop sign website and found myself lead to Chris Yates's site instead of Wondermark. I figured a mix-up of that sort had probably occurred; either that or I had misheard what was said in the episode.
  • The Great Office War:
  • If you can't be it, make fun of it.

edited June 2008
    Watch a movie in ASCII.

Epic win.
    1. That's really nice, I'd say you have 5 or so years left to catch up.
    2. What the hell? That site is epic fail. Why? Paragraphs for a freaking list! Author can't count, author writes "two" instead of "to", fails at making an ellipses, it's 3 periods, not two! And he thinks Youtube will still be up if Google were to go down forever. I won't bother talking about the tags. Less I lose grip on my final strand of sanity.

TotD!
    Post edited by ... on

• What the SD fucking Gundam did I just watch!