This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• This is the last song I thought would ever get para para'd.
  • This is the last song I thought would ever get para para'd
    Wasn't that something that Scrym put as a ToTD. Well the song.
    Heh, I'm working nine to five for the next eight weeks teaching a sailing program. I like my job but all my friends are doing things like spending the summer at art colleges and traveling the Mediterranean, so my summer feels so shitty when I compare it. I try not to.
    But you get to sail. (pun!) I loved going on a sailing trip after my senior year. It was for a Younglife program, so other than the "God" stuff it was great. Plus you make monies.
  • Just finished Ender's Game for the first time.
  • This is the last song I thought would ever get para para'd
    Wasn't that something that Scrym put as a ToTD. Well the song.
    Yup. Thus I knew everyone here would get why this is weird.
  • Just finished Ender's Game for the first time.
    Holy crap.

Welcome to a whole new world.
  • Holy crap.

Welcome to a whole new world.
    Is it safe to read the rest of the books in the series? Which ones are good and which aren't?
  • Is it safe to read the rest of the books in the series? Which ones are good and which aren't?
    Start with Ender's Shadow. Then from there go ahead and read Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. Then if you're not getting sick of them go ahead and read the rest.
  • Is it safe to read the rest of the books in the series? Which ones are good and which aren't?
    Start with Ender's Shadow. Then from there go ahead and read Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. Then if you're not getting sick of them go ahead and read the rest.
    I suggest reading them in the order they were written. Speaker for the Dead is the same standard as Ender's Game but very different. Xenocide is good too. Children of the Mind just creates sequel fatigue, so maybe wait a while after Xenocide before reading that.

Ender's Shadow? It is a re-telling of the same events of Ender's Game, but from the perspective of Bean. I really didn't like it. It seemed pointless, and was just a way to start a new series in the Ender universe, as admitted by Orson Scott Card himself. It reads like "Hmmm... now in the original I made a mistake here with this technology, so in this book I'll write that that mistake was noticed by someone in the story, but that person didn't tell Ender so... yeah... What else? Well, Ender was stupid in this situation, so I'll write that he wasn't actually stupid, but someone else set it up... but Ender didn't find out about it, so I didn't write it in the original book..."

In this sense it reminds me of the sequel to Ringworld; Ringworld Engineers (from wikipedia):
    ... many fans had identified numerous engineering problems in the Ringworld as described in the novel. A major problem was the orbit of the Ringworld relative to the star it encircled, which would eventually result in the entire structure colliding with its sun and disintegrating. In the novel's introduction, Niven says that MIT students attending the 1970 World Science Fiction Convention chanted, "The Ringworld is unstable! The Ringworld is unstable!" Niven says that one reason he wrote The Ringworld Engineers was to address these engineering problems.
    And of course, Bean needs an enemy to fight in the book, considering we know Ender's enemy will no longer be a problem, and for a continuing antagonist in the following series. This enemy is crowbarred into the story in such a clumsy way I almost put the book down there and then, except it happens so late in the book and I thought I might as well push through to the end.

In other words, don't read Ender's Shadow until you've read and enjoyed the books in the original series. Only then come back and read the money-grab that Ender's Shadow so obviously becomes.
  • I hate Zivildienst. Principals are for the gutter.
  • I hate Zivildienst. Principals are for the gutter.
    Tell me about it. Are you going to do 1 whole year abroad?
  • In other words, don't read Ender's Shadow until you've read and enjoyed the books in the original series. Only then come back and read the money-grab that Ender's Shadow so obviously becomes.
    I disagree completely. I enjoyed Ender's Shadow more than any of the sequels. Of course, I haven't read them for quite a while.
  • Sorry to be so meta but we are three threads away from 3000. Reward yourself by indulging in that food stuff you have been forcing yourself from having.
  • edited June 2008
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Why!?
  • Cuz they ...can...? *blinks* Or maybe a buncha fetishists who like them got a hold of a crap-ton of money. XD
  • edited June 2008
    Can you name these Simpson's characters in 10 minutes? I was able to get them all with 2:59 to spare. Would have been faster but the spelling of some of the names threw me for a bit.

Simpsons Name Game
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • This was posted on another forum I visit and I thought it was awesome:

ITS A PAPER CLIP DISPENSER!

Also, I found how to make it in PDF form (on 4chan :D)

Sentry
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Source
    Sapper
    Part 1
    Source
    Dispenser
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Source

:D
  • chaos, I think I'll actually build those.
  • edited June 2008
    My thing of the day has 3 parts.
    1. Gnar Wars, don't underestimate the power of the rad side.
    2. Breakdancing Yoda.
    3. Best thing to ever happen at Star Wars Weekends.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • ^ I call hacks, but still awesome to look at.
  • ^ I call hacks, but still awesome to look at.
    You should call "Glitches!" But yeah, even if it's hacked, glitch abused or whatever, it's still awesome to see Mario nearly fly (without Wing cap) through the game.
  • You should call "Glitches!" But yeah, even if it's hacked, glitch abused or whatever, it's still awesome to see Mario nearly fly (without Wing cap) through the game.
    I say, Scott is right (he said that if the game allows it, it's okay)
  • Would you like to Pii?

• Would you like to Pii?
    I don't get it
  • It is a spoof on the Wii campaign: