This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Pool's Closed.
    Whahahaha, again it's proven that idiots can't deal with the internet.
  • Speaking of people gettingoutrageously offended for no good reason...
    One even accused him of photographing youngsters to put the pictures on the internet.
    Well, I'm glad that didn't happ- OMG! THEY ARE NOW ON THE INTERNETS
  • Pool's Closed.
    Most awesome.
  • I was hanging out on the Ghastly's ghastly comic forum today, and I got a reminder of how that forum, and solely that forum, got Imageshack to ban the entire Comic Genesis domain.
  • edited July 2008
    Pool's Closed.
    Oh wow.. *Double facepalm*
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Pool's Closed.
    Oh wow.. *Double facepalm*
    This is going to get worse before it gets better.
  • edited July 2008
    Does the 4chan guy have racist connotations? 4chan being the hive of scum and villainy that it is.

Also, My thing of the day: I spent last night designing a my desktop for the next five years and it came to £912 (that is for everything, as I have been using a laptop up until now so I have no reusable parts and it's a damn good system) which left me in doubt as to whether it was worth it then I was listening to Super Happy Fun Time and remembered that a Macbook with less power and close to half the screen size could cost more than this desktop.
    No, I'm not bashing Macs (If I could afford a Mac Pro I would already have one.) but they are damn expensive and helped me put my purchase in perspective.

Edit: Turns out my desktop is a slightly more powerful, imobile, Macbook Pro 17 inch with a 20 inch screen, almost exactly half the price.
  • £912
    That's way too much money. That's $1824. I bought my latest computer for $1167 or £583. It plays every game, even the infamous Crysis, with all features enabled. It can rip 30 minutes of DVD video and encode it in under 15 minutes. What more than that could you possibly need? If you are worried it won't last five years, just wait and upgrade along the way. It will be easier on the wallet.

Unless of course tech prices are just way higher in the UK. You don't have Newegg do you?
  • edited July 2008
    I based the CPU on your machine, the E6600 Wolfdale 3GHz(£130,$260) and that is from Scan.co.uk which is as cheap as it gets. How much did you pay for yours?
    Also, did your price include the monitor (again, the same Dell 20 inch [' or " ?], £200~)?
    Link =?= Source
  • [' or " ?]
    To my knowledge feet is a single quote in America, and inches are double quotes.
  • I based the CPU on your machine, the E6600 Wolfdale 3GHz(£130,$260) and that is from Scan.co.uk which is as cheap as it gets. How much did you pay for yours?
    Also, did your price include the monitor (again, the same Dell 20 inch [' or " ?], £200~)?
    My CPU was $210, so you aren't paying too much more. My monitor is currently going or $289 at dell.com, so that's £140. You're paying a lot more in the UK than we are.
  • edited July 2008
    Tell me about it, scan is probably the cheapest store for this kind of thing, if I were to buy high street it would be at least 50% more. In addition, that extra £25/$50 for the CPU may not seem that much on it's own but that kind of increase on all the parts adds up.
    If it isn't too inconvenient could you weigh your PC, just out of interest.

Fuck, the Sapphire ATI 4850 in the UK costs the same as the 4870 in the US..
    I'm beginning to think it may be cheaper to order from Newegg, fly out to my relatives in Maryland and then fly the whole thing back with me. That or get someone to ship it here insured (I do not trust the royal mail.).
  • edited July 2008
    I'm an idiot, Britain uses pounds.
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • Euro to dollars is not 1:2(more like 1:1.5).
    He's using pounds, which are 1:2.
  • Euro to dollars is not 1:2(more like 1:1.5).
    He's using pounds, which are 1:2.
    I realized that right after, but you beat me to the edit.
    edited July 2008
    1.00 EUR = 1.58270 USD
    1.00 GBP = 1.99890 USD

Also:
    myself to yourself
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2008
    Heh, I had no idea how close the exchange rate between GBP and USD was to exactly 2 (According to XE, 1.00 GBP = 1.99898 USD, whoa!!)

Here in Australia, the Dell 20" is $399 AU, or $388.9 US, which is nothing unexpected for me.
    Also, there IS NO E6600 Wolfdale. The E8400 is a 3GHz Wolfdale though; here in Australia the cheapest I could find was $207 AUD (=$201.87 USD). I see it on Newegg for $189.99.

This is a much closer price to the U.S. than I'm used to from 12 months ago (and I factored in exchange rate back then; I know the AUD was worth less then); I'd have to compare a lot more than just that to get a conclusive idea about current Australian pricing. I can say this much though - Some stores around here offer reasonable pricing, but those of major brands like Dell are certainly not among them.

For anyone interested in pricing here, staticICE is a great price search engine we have here - link.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2008
    Sheesh, simple mistake. It is the 8400, as it happens; £116/$232. Newegg has it for $189.99.
  • Sheesh, simple mistake. It is the 8400, as it happens; £116/$232. Newegg has it for $189.99.
    Damn, you're really getting ripped off there. Considering how weak the dollar is, and that all the stuff is made in East Asia, it's really doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • Which is funny, seeing as it is cheaper to bring a melon here from Taiwan than grow it here.
  • THE UNIVERSE IS RACIST
  • edited July 2008
    I love black holes. Boom-de yada, boom-de yada.
  • edited July 2008
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This car made my day.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited July 2008
    What is it I'm meant to be seeing? Cars?
  • The Monte Carlo and the ridiculous over sized rims.
  • edited July 2008
    I love black holes. Boom-de yada, boom-de yada.
    Boom-de yada, boom-de yada.
    Post edited by Viga on