This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Point taken. That said, take the knowledge you've gained about Bill Nye from that video, and consider how he'd react when asked about Skub. I doubt it would go well.
  • Hitchhiker's iPhone Whale
    Hmmmmm... I wonder where you found this. ^_~
  • edited September 2011
    You know how people talk about "training" white blood cells to attack cancer as one of the best long-term cures? Yeah, it looks like that just happened.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • You know how people talk about "training" white blood cells to attack cancer as one of the best long-term cures? Yeah, it looks like that just happened.
    To quote my scientist girlfriend "It is too soon to say and will take decades before it is viable. But when it is then it will be pretty awesome".
  • You know how people talk about "training" white blood cells to attack cancer as one of the best long-term cures? Yeah, it looks like that just happened.
    Happened a while back, actually. The problem comes with the body mounting an immune response against healthy cells; some individuals experience an allergic response due to the chimeric t-cells attacking healthy, non-cancerous protein targets on other cells. Additionally, we don't have any way (yet) to eliminate the chimeric cells and leave non-modified cells intact. It's possible that you could attempt to kill all of the T-Cells in the body with an immunosuppresant and then keep the patient in sterile surroundings until their natural, non-chimeric cells return to acceptable levels, but I'm not ever sure that's a viable strategy.

It's a huge step, but like Amp's girl said, we are a long way away.
  • Still, very exciting. Gene therapy fascinates me.
  • Still, very exciting. Gene therapy fascinates me.
    Yep. My favorite part is that HIV-1 was the vector for the therapy. Randall Munroe said it best:

T-Cells
  • A very interesting concept for a game coming out of a local developer here.
  • I didn't know they allowed games with guns in Australia.
    Yo, American, How do you type with such fat fingers? Do they have a government stipend for typing sticks?

On that note - Video games, not fat jokes - we should be getting an R18 rating before too long. That'll be nice.
    Yo, American, How do you type with such fat fingers? Do they have a government stipend for typing sticks?

On that note - Video games, not fat jokes - we should be getting an R18 rating before too long. That'll be nice.
    Hey Chrubs when is Sorry Day?
  • edited September 2011
    Hey Chrubs when is Sorry Day?
    26th of may. You ever apologize to your native people? Y'know, other than just throwing a few gambling licenses at them and saying "Here, you can steal back from us now?" Because between you and me, that doesn't really do much for the whole Smallpox blankets thing. I think I remember a joint bill, and hey, credit, it's only a decade after we did it, but then again one also has to consider that European settlement history here only really traces back to about 1901 as a country or the late 1800s in general, rather than 1776 and the 1600s, for the US. What, did you spend 300 odd years trying to think of a really good message to write in the card to go with the bouquet of flowers? THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TAKING THE PISS.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The US desperately needs a Sorry Day.
  • edited September 2011
    Someone in the neighbourhood abandoned a 32 inch HDTV, which is now sitting in my bedroom awaiting a thorough drying and repair.

Correction: 32 inches. I don't get this imperial BS.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited September 2011
    The US desperately needs a Sorry Day.
    Or be more like Canada and have a little bit more respect for the Native populace. I think one day is a little silly and fake sounding.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited September 2011
    Or be more like Canada and have a little bit more respect for the Native populace. I think one day is a little silly and fake sounding.
    Ours is more of a day of remembrance and mourning to punctuate what we do the rest of the time - not that you said or implied it, but it's not like our efforts begin and end on one day a year. It's not an official holiday, but it should be - though it could do with a better name, though that's purely opinion.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Looking at that made me sure that when Churba is ellected Mayor Of Brisbane, bicycle gang will be the official form of medium range transportation.

It's good for the environment.

• Old, but new to me.
  • edited September 2011
    This is possibly the most effective low budget commercial ever. I want to give this man all of my money and dead animals.

Also, OHGOD you should hear nine on the other end of a skype call while watching this video. I can't decide if he's laughing or having a fuckin' aneurysm.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's from these guys. Apparently they made weird commercials like that and they have a show on IFC where they go around making local commercials. I remember seeing the episode with that ad on it.
  • That's from these guys. Apparently they made weird commercials like that and they have a show on IFC where they go around making local commercials.
    Nope. Chuck Testa.