This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• School lunches around the world. I had the feeling our food would look like prison food. (France is no joke here.)
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/what-school-lunches-look-like-in-20-countries-arou?s=mobile
  • School lunches around the world. I had the feeling our food would look like prison food. (France is no joke here.)
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/what-school-lunches-look-like-in-20-countries-arou?s=mobile
    I can't say anything about the quality of any of the food, because some things might look like shit but taste great, are filling, and nutritional to boot.

But I DID notice that only the USA school dinners use disposable packaging and plastic disposable knives and forks. Even the trays look like they can just be chucked in the trash. Maybe I'm reading too much into it here, but I think it doesn't teach kids to respect their food and nutrition when the things surrounding the food is as worthless as the food itself.

On closer inspection, Singapore has a disposable tray and plastic spoon, I think.
  • Meanwhile, here is someone doing one back flip per day to win a $100 bet.

It might not be 365 flips in the video, but if you look at his channel, he uploaded a video for every single day!
  • Turns out the common doormouse has developed a natural defense to keep humans from killing it while it sleeps.

Adorableness.
  • But I DID notice that only the USA school dinners use disposable packaging and plastic disposable knives and forks. Even the trays look like they can just be chucked in the trash. Maybe I'm reading too much into it here, but I think it doesn't teach kids to respect their food and nutrition when the things surrounding the food is as worthless as the food itself.

On closer inspection, Singapore has a disposable tray and plastic spoon, I think.
    Singapore also had a real dish in the second picture.

I think you're on to something with that observation. The food from the US lunches looks like an afterthought. It sort of sends a message that you shouldn't think about what you eat - just shut up and get food in your mouth.

I'm also the sort of guy who thinks that food is love; I express myself by cooking, and I enjoy feeding people. I respect the hell out of my food.

Maybe part of the reason that our public education in this country is so lackluster is that students feel like afterthoughts in school - when the school can't even be bothered to care about your food, the most basic daily need, why should you expect them to care about anything else?

Some good food for thought.

• edited January 2012
    holy fuck this is the best thing. There is literally no thing better than this.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Pete, your meat is too salty. I think for all our healths' sake you should spread a bit less love.
  • My school lunches all the way from K-12 were on plastic (reusable) trays and regular (but ugly and flimsy) silverware. We never got bags of chips or anything, the only "container" was milk/beverage. Of course we always got horrible rectangle pizza (which was actually tasty when you're a kid and know no better) and other crappy food. It was less about afterthought and unimportance of eating right, and more about "we have no money so eat this crappy cheap food from the government".
  • Pete, your meat is too salty. I think for all our healths' sake you should spread a bit less love.
    Who'd have thought that bacon and pastrami would be salty? I am shocked!

The primary reason that my meat tastes so salty (I actually use ~10% less salt than commercial curing preparations) is that I dry-cure it; dry-cured products have a more intense flavor profile than wet-cured ones.

A typical dry-cure rub is 8 pounds of salt, 3 pounds of sugar, and 3 ounces of curing salt. Apply 1 oz of this mixture per pound of meat. Thus, a 5 pound slab of pork belly should be rubbed with 3.6 oz of salt, ~1.4 oz of sugar, and 1/6th of an ounce of cure.

I would use 3.3 oz of salt, 1.7 oz of sugar, and about the same amount of cure. I de-salt for an hour or two before setting the proteins.

See? I love you guys so much that I'm making bacon with 10% less salt!

• That pastrami is freaking deadly. I've never had any food that wasn't spoiled upset my stomach as much.
    For the record, that's not what she said.

• edited January 2012
    That pastrami is freaking deadly. I've never had any food that wasn't spoiled upset my stomach as much.
    Well, you've been doing a lower-salt diet, right? And probably lower-fat? I mean, dude, any pastrami is going to be very salty and very fatty.

When I worked in a deli, I used to get customers on salt-restricted diets asking me what they could eat from the deli. Invariably, the answer was "nothing." Not even low-salt products. Low-salt cooked ham is still like 10% of your RDA of sodium per serving.

EDIT: But for you George, I will attempt a low-salt low-fat pastrami. Somehow.

EDIT 2: OH RIGHT. Potassium chloride. The USDA recently allowed the replacement of half of the sodium chloride content in meat with potassium chloride, to reduce the amount of sodium in these products. Also, the extra potassium might even have health benefits!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That pastrami is freaking deadly. I've never had any food that wasn't spoiled upset my stomach as much.
    Well, you've been doing a lower-salt diet, right? And probably lower-fat? I mean, dude, any pastrami is going to be very salty and very fatty.

When I worked in a deli, I used to get customers on salt-restricted diets asking me what they could eat from the deli. Invariably, the answer was "nothing." Not even low-salt products. Low-salt cooked ham is still like 10% of your RDA of sodium per serving.

EDIT: But for you George, I will attempt a low-salt low-fat pastrami. Somehow.
    "Maybe some bread. And a leaf of lettuce."
  • Well, you've been doing a lower-salt diet, right? And probably lower-fat?
    If by lower salt and lower fat you mean eating out a lot less. I want to eat lower salt and sat-fat, but I struggle to find things to actually that fit that criteria. My diet is very American, and trying to make it not American has been difficult for me.
  • edited January 2012
    If by lower salt and lower fat you mean eating out a lot less.
    In fact, that takes care of a whole lot of salt and fat intake. You're inundated with chain restaurants out there. Sodium content is through the fucking roof.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I love you forever for sharing that.
  • Ladies and gentlemen. We have waited patiently but now the time of the glorious return is upon us!

• Damnit, I'll be out of Berlin until the following day.
  • Oh mans, I've been waiting for Iron Sky to come out!
  • I must watch that film, not sure how, but it looks awesome.
  • Delta: First Word.

This is NSFW. It will take a few minutes to get from beginning to the end, but I really enjoyed the digital effects of it all.
  • Ladies and gentlemen. We have waited patiently but now the time of the glorious return is upon us!
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

• Well add +1 to Rym's Internet Celebrity his video featured on topless robot.
  • I seriously doubt that it is not a new Ferris Bueller movie, but rather an incredibly ambitious commercial.
  • If they faked us out, I'll still have a laugh, though Matthew Broderick and Alan Ruck have discussed a sequel in the past.
  • Well, we'll find out in a couple of weeks, wont we?
  • Well, we'll find out in a couple of weeks, wont we?
    Mmmm. Quite.

• Go Polish Politicians.