This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Where did I go just now?
  • edited February 2012
    Dropped by the doctor's office today, and we found a furry little interloper -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • BUT IT IS WRONG! MISINFORMATION!
    When I see this, I don't think funny. The indestructibility of a cement torii is cool, but making people think Hiroshima got hit is terrible and makes them not understand the disaster. These pictures are really sad, but the torii is a symbol of hope.

Torii, how do they work?
    I don't know, but they hide you and your virtual pet dogs from Searchmaton pretty well. Until the upgrade, anyway...
  • BOKU SACCHI
  • Dropped by the doctor's office today, and we found a furry little interloper -
    Is that a Brushtail Possum?
  • edited February 2012
    Dropped by the doctor's office today, and we found a furry little interloper -
    Yep! Common Brushtail possum. Big bastard too, probably about the length of my forearm from nose to arse, not including tail. They've been cruising around in the ceilings, so the doc laid out a trap for them, and he drops them off in the local wildlife area.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Dropped by the doctor's office today, and we found a furry little interloper -
    Yep! Common Brushtail possum. Big bastard too, probably about the length of my forearm from nose to arse, not including tail. They've been cruising around in the ceilings, so the doc laid out a trap for them, and he drops them off in the local wildlife area.
    Possums in doctor's office? SANITATION ISSUE.
    Possums in doctor's office? SANITATION ISSUE.
    Don't worry, we made sure to give it a quick run through the autoclave.

In all seriousness, it was only in the ceiling, where patients shouldn't be going anyway. I helped him by pulling the trap out of the ceiling - I didn't mind, since he's been my physician since I was barely able to walk, he's a family friend - and he put it outside straight away, put his signatures on the appropriate paperwork(this brief affair was after the visit was completed), and then immediately took it away to release it.

• Don't worry, we made sure to give it a quick run through the autoclave.

In all seriousness, it was only in the ceiling, where patients shouldn't be going anyway. I helped him by pulling the trap out of the ceiling - I didn't mind, since he's been my physician since I was barely able to walk, he's a family friend - and he put it outside straight away, put his signatures on the appropriate paperwork(this brief affair was after the visit was completed), and then immediately took it away to release it.
    I just realized something I do not know about you. What do you do for a living?

• edited February 2012
    I just realized something I do not know about you. What do you do for a living?
    At the moment? Freelance Journalist/writer, with a little bit of contract work, odd jobs, and other small things on the side. I also make the occasional coin by making things and selling them. I've had a bunch of different jobs and some strange hobbies, so I'm pretty multi-skilled.

The reason I pulled the trap out of the roof comes down to nothing more than the fact of him being 5'8" or so and an older gent, and me being 6'4" and in my 20s- it was easier for me to get up the ladder and pull the trap out of the ceiling.

That said, I do know how to make traps and snares, set them, so on - it's just not what I do for a living, it's just one of those odd little skills you pick up.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Adorable Mass Effect low-poly models.

Just when I thought I wouldn't use "adorable" and "Mass Effect" in the same sentence...
  • The reason I pulled the trap out of the roof comes down to nothing more than the fact of him being 5'8" or so and an older gent, and me being 6'4" and in my 20s- it was easier for me to get up the ladder and pull the trap out of the ceiling.

That said, I do know how to make traps and snares, set them, so on - it's just not what I do for a living, it's just one of those odd little skills you pick up.
    Oh, okay. I think the thing that made me wonder was you saying he put his signatures on the appropriate paperwork so I was unsure if you were doing it as a favor or something else.

On a different note, just found this.
  • Slate: "Obama might just be Xanatos." Couple this with the fact that he quoted Jesus earlier this week to justify higher taxes makes for some delectable political maneuvering.
  • Oh, okay. I think the thing that made me wonder was you saying he put his signatures on the appropriate paperwork so I was unsure if you were doing it as a favor or something else.
    OH! No, no no, I was just getting a whooping cough booster, since there's a new baby coming into the family soon. Just paperwork for that visit to the doctor, insurance and medicare stuff, usual gear.
  • edited February 2012
    BUT IT IS WRONG! MISINFORMATION!...making people think Hiroshima got hit is terrible and makes them not understand the disaster.
    Whoa, whoa. No one mentioned Hiroshima.

Nagasaki. My bad. After cranking on I should have read the image again.
    Nagasaki is closer to Hiroshima than it is to Iwate-ken by a long shot, though.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Photobucket
    I'll take a better picture later but this is my birthday present!! A slythern hat and scarf!
  • With Valentines coming up, Gordon Ramsay has some pointers on how to treat your lady.

• Digesting processed food vs homemade food...

• *Facebook Parenting*
    This man is my hero.
  • *Facebook Parenting*
    This man is my hero.
    I'm going to say he was wrong to destroy a good laptop when he could have given it to a charity shop. The destruction of something so useful saddens me.

• I'm sorry, but when did passive aggressive videos and shooting laptops become good parenting? Am I missing something? Instead of talking with his kid and trying to understand her feelings, he embarrassed her on the Internet, destroyed a perfectly fine laptop, and probably only made his daughter resent him more. Please, this is anything but good parenting.
  • I think people who agree are mostly agreeing with the deprivation principle. The internet video part maybe not so great, but the idea of making your kid work for something in order to appreciate what they have is a sound one.
  • edited February 2012
    *Facebook Parenting*
    This man is my hero.
    I'm going to say he was wrong to destroy a good laptop when he could have given it to a charity shop. The destruction of something so useful saddens me.
    Well, yes.

@Andrew

He talked to her about it last time. Sometimes you need to teach whiny kids like that a lesson. When I was about her age, I shirked my responsibilities too and whined every time my parents tried to talk to me about it. One time I turned around and said to my dad, "Geeze, stop being such a drill sergeant. If I wanted that I'd go join the army; it'd probably be better than this."
    The next morning, he woke me up at 5am to the sound of bugle call and him yelling under my ear. Then he had me run 20 laps around the property (probably around a mile, total). Then he had me do 50 sit ups, 50 push ups, and 50 pull ups. When he was done with me, I was a wreck. He took me inside and sat me down.
    "Victor, you are my son and I love you. But if you think that was hard, life in the military is hell. We don't ask a lot from you. When my father was your age, he was working three jobs to provide for his family. I'm not asking you to do that because you don't need to. But I am asking you to do your part in keeping this home in good condition. Mowing the lawn, putting away the dishes, keeping your room clean, and your other chores are all part of that. Do you understand?"

And I did. And I never forgot. That one experience turned me into a wholly better person. After that, I never shirked my responsibilities. I even took on some new ones and went to get a job so I could put some of my money towards the household.
    Short of real abuse, I can never hold it against a parent for giving their kid a little tough love. And if some embarrassment on the internet helps to hammer in the point and maybe teach that point to their friends, then all the better.

EDIT:
    I think people who agree are mostly agreeing with the deprivation principle. The internet video part maybe not so great, but the idea of making your kid work for something in order to appreciate what they have is a sound one.
    Yes.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • The shooting the laptop made me mad. I do agree that people should be made to work for things, since that will make them appreciate it more.
  • While the wasted laptop is disappointing, the father made a pretty powerful point. I was half hoping to see him do her celphone as well.
  • While I think she was being whiny little punk kid, destroying a laptop over something as stupid as that is ridiculous. I think he should talk to her, but her making a bitchy post isn't even worth grounding to me. He could have said the same shit to her in privately.