This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Oh, it's that Dr.Pepper/time travelling banana anime.
    Yes. You should check it out, it's pretty cool.

EDIT: Watching related videos with background tunes that remind me of Bump of Chicken's K makes a very sad nine.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited May 2012
    I find this SO entertaining you have no idea. Do it again!

Why Meteorologists Avoid Wearing Green on TV: MyFoxDETROIT.com

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Kick ass new PC, and I figured out what was wrong with my car before it caused an accident.

Aimee build my PC. It's crazy better then my last one, but I don't know the details.

Apparently Orange Mazda doesn't know how to tighten lug nuts. I was in there TWICE last week and both times they said it was fine. OH! and they unplugged my O2 and charged me to plug it back in. FUCK THOSE GUYS!!!
  • My sister graduated today. That in and of itself is worth a thing of my day.

But the university (also my alma mater) did something that impressed me and makes me proud to be affiliated with the school. Today, Gonzaga University, had the commencement speech given by the world-reknowned Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu. You can look at his info and see all the amazing things he's done for Africa, but what makes me proud of my university is that once it was announced that he would be speaking, a significant number of parents, alums, and contributors to the university spoke out against the choice because Desmond Tutu is decidedly progressive for a man of the cloth.

Today, I saw an Archbishop of the Catholic church, give a speech at a Catholic university, where he equated homophobia to racism, and said that all people, regardless of sexual orientation, are members of the human race, and should be treated as such. And he was given a resounding applause for it. My girlfriend and I were literally moved to tears.

And not to be outdone, the student speaker chosen by the students, also spoke out against homophobia, as a young, gay man himself.

Things like this give me hope.
  • edited May 2012
    Well done. In a similar vein, the women's college affiliated with my university (that is, Barnard College) is having Barack Obama give their commencement address today. Around a third of my friends are going to be there.

I'm going to be watching via livestream.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Someone has cut together video footage of clips mentioned/shown/commented on in one of my favorite podcasts:

I am happy.
  • What vintage tank? You can get them for mere hundreds of thousands. This sounds silly, but consider that you can live in it, and it is a tank.
  • New Clip.

• ""Grand Old Party" is a data visualization project. It is also a set of butt plugs."

Coincidentally, the Romney butt plug looks about as uncomfortable as a Romney presidency. I assume the Santorum plug would be optimal for the production of its namesake.
  • So, can that be copyrighted? It is just storing facts.
  • edited May 2012
    He can copyright the design of the object, I'd imagine.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    Still hilarious

Also this

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited May 2012
    NASA to announce manned asteroid mission!

Awesome! I always hoped I'd see a landing during my lifetime, and now I probably will!
  • I laughed so hard I cried.
    Also this
    I don't know about everthing else, but the Mythbusters followed Tesla's blueprints for that earthquake machine and it doesn't actually work. I mean, you can feel a slight vibration, but nothing that would feel like a earthquake.
  • edited May 2012
    [Best Meal Ever]
    I laughed so hard I cried.
    [Tesla]
    [Earthquake Machine Mythbusted]
    I love the Salt and Pepper Diner! Great place to grab a bite if you're going to a Cubs game.

Also, on Tesla: Did they attach it to a girder sunk into sandy bedrock? Because that was what originally caused the problem in the story.
  • edited May 2012
    Also, on Tesla: Did they attach it to a girder sunk into sandy bedrock? Because that was what originally caused the problem in the story.
    They attracted it to a bridge. They got the bridge vibrating a bit, but nothing more. They were quite impressed they got that much to happen.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • What the christ.

Dental Plan - Dubstep

That is 11 minutes of pure WTF.
  • I have to admit I was mesmerized watching this.

• What the christ.

Dental Plan - Dubstep

The sad part about that is I STILL QUOTE THAT PART OF THE SIMPSONS. Probably what 20 years after the fact at this point? randomly.
  • What the christ.

Dental Plan - Dubstep

There's a generator for making generic dubstep songs out of any sound file. For example, here's one of the GeekNights promos turned in to a Dubstep song.

• I have to admit I was mesmerized watching this.
    FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP.

You know, I still have to see Tokyo Drift. For some reason I just skipped that, even though I seem to recall there being a DVD of it in the house. Little brother probably has it now.
  • You know, I still have to see Tokyo Drift. For some reason I just skipped that, even though I seem to recall there being a DVD of it in the house. Little brother probably has it now.
    It's so goofy, but I enjoy it regardless.

• You know, I still have to see Tokyo Drift. For some reason I just skipped that, even though I seem to recall there being a DVD of it in the house. Little brother probably has it now.
    I have not seen any of the Fast and Furiouses. Have I missed something?