This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• [video]
    They no likey America :/
  • edited May 2012
    Okay, try here then:

I was wondering what this was about when the original video was perfectly accessible for me; I guess it was a U.S. only block.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • America friendly version is way cool.
  • This is how I know that love is real:

• We need more of this, but have the live music added to roms for ultimate experience (with sound effects from the game).

• edited May 2012
    The difference in advertising between to the sexes.

Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited May 2012
    The governments of the various states within Australia are thinking of re-considering the bizarre laws regarding p-platers and turbocharged cars.

Basically, currently, anyone with a provisional license (the step between a learner's license and an open, drive-any-car-you're-experienced-now license) cannot drive a turbocharged vehicle, at all, no matter what. The practical upshot of which is that under the current laws, a P-plater can drive an (unmodified) RX7 or Miata, but can't drive a Smart Car, because a Smart Car, with it's sub-600 CC motor, has a Turbocharger. Sure, it's a turbocharger about the size of a gnat's dick, and even when turbocharged, it produces about as much horsepower as a particularly inbred and malnourished Shetland pony, but it's a turbocharger, so fuck you.

Edit - For completeness, some states allowed a special dispensation for some drivers who had cars with very small capacity turbos, but they were not easy to get (the basic argument was "Why do you NEEED a turbocharged car? Why don't you get another? Prove you need it!" and apparently, the restrictions were very tight on it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • People who can't explain in great detail what a turbo is and how it works really shouldn't be writing legislation concerning them.

And just FYI, in America you pass your drivers test and drive a Ferrari home. :P
  • As shitty as American laws have been lately, at least other places are usually shittier.
  • People who can't explain in great detail what a turbo is and how it works really shouldn't be writing legislation concerning them.

And just FYI, in America you pass your drivers test and drive a Ferrari home. :P
    That's because AMERICA.

• edited May 2012
    People who can't explain in great detail what a turbo is and how it works really shouldn't be writing legislation concerning them.

However, with your economy, it's just the one Ferrari. The government owns it and You all have to share it.

But that said, this is just another one of those laws, just like the US laws that mean crack has a higher legal penalty over regular cocaine - People throwing shit at the wall, not to see what sticks, but to create a large enough pile that they can squeltch up the pile and over the wall, into re-election, because they can say "Hey! I passed this law, and now look at what's happened to the traffic death stats!" - when in reality, the road toll, particularly the youth road toll, hasn't gone down very much at all, because EVERY measure but for exactly one(that not all states have) focus on banning young people from doing anything that would allow them experience in a safe manner, or educating them/coaching them in ANY way at all.

I have a radical new suggestion for them. Teach them how to drive? Fuck that, let's just stop them having cars until they're 25, since all drivers instantly and automatically become safer the very instant the move out of the 18-25 age bracket, right? I mean, if they're crashing more between the ages of 18-25, then if we stop anyone in that age bracket from driving, then crash deaths will plummet! I'm clearly a genius greater than any of those politicians, let me on the gravy train where, interestingly, one of my perks is a vehicle and driver.
    As shitty as American laws have been lately, at least other places are usually shittier.
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my universal healthcare and our extremely generous minimum wage, could you repeat that? I think if you roll the Patriot act up into a cone, you could use it like a makeshift loudhailer, that might help.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I think if you roll the Patriot act up into a cone, you could use it like a makeshift loudhailer, that might help.
    The Patriot Act is nowhere near flexible enough for even the paper it's printed on to make a makeshit loudhailer, you goof.

• I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my universal healthcare and our extremely generous minimum wage, could you repeat that? I think if you roll the Patriot act up into a cone, you could use it like a makeshift loudhailer, that might help.

And I couldn't hear you over the sound of gunfire made by legally-owned automatic firearms.
  • edited May 2012
    The Netherlands can't hear anyone because the dub in the coffeeshops is turned up too loud, and everyone is on mushrooms.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    And I couldn't hear you over the sound of gunfire made by legally-owned automatic firearms.
    What, can't fire fast enough with a bolt action? I mean, the Brits used to have the mad minute, where riflemen would manage 30+ shots on a 12" target at 300 yards. Though I suppose you could compensate by just putting more rounds downrange and hoping you luck out, I guess that works sometimes.

Honestly, Americans, thinking it all comes down to your firearms and shooting your bolt quickly as possible. Calm down, you don't need a big gun if I know how to use one well. And firing fast is only a big deal if you don't know how to use ALL the tools at your disposal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • everyone is on mushrooms.
    Well, that explains Nine.
  • everyone is on mushrooms.
    Well, that explains Nine.
    We were somewhere around Groningen, on the edge of the dykes, when the drugs began to take hold.
  • edited May 2012
    For those of you unfamiliar with the more obscure tenets of Dutch drug law, I am not exaggerating when I imply that mushrooms are freely available. You can walk into certain shops and buy a souvenir hat, a postcard, and your choice of around eight different strains of psychedelic psilocybe sclerotia from two different suppliers.

Also, peyote.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    And now for a (mostly) unrelated thing of the day, It turns out that Australia is actually the happiest nation among all of the OECD nations.

Cue argument about measuring happiness and success and so on as expected around here, but still pretty cool, even though I think we could do better.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • How are you all so happy? There are huge spiders everywhere!
  • large, reinforced fly swatters?
  • I was mainly talking about shitty laws in other countries, like ones banning pocket knives or freedom of speech or other things I use on a daily basis.

Also this:
    How are you all so happy? There are huge spiders everywhere!
  • When everything is trying to kill you, happiness becomes a survival mechanism.
  • edited May 2012
    How are you all so happy? There are huge spiders everywhere!
    Eh, can get used to anything, I guess. And hey, Another day I'm upright and breathing, so it can't be THAT bad.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2012
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • When everything is trying to kill you, spiders that kill those things are a survival mechanism.