This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• Dolls are bad, m'kay?
  • Congratulations, now you can't blink.
  • Congratulations, now you can't blink.
    *sigh of relief*
  • Who is over.
    A Haiku by Craig McLeod;

Yet another awful Who Episode
    Doctor made to be an ass again
    Fuck off, Moffat, I'm done.

I've got better things to do on my Saturday than watch Moffat turn Doctor Who into another half bit Soap Drama. Smith's Doctor is being wasted on this, Rory's (Who's actor's name I can't mind right now) is being wasted, everything else this season (except Gaiman's episode) has been one concentrated fuck you to everything that made Seasons 1-4 awesome.
    Sure there was some bad times with RTD Who (and, hell, Season 5 wasn't too bad all said) but this has just been a mess right about when River Song got upgraded from occasional curiosity to a full up and out Mary Sue.
  • Who is over.
    A Haiku by Craig McLeod;

I've got better things to do on my Saturday than watch Moffat turn Doctor Who into another half bit Soap Drama. Smith's Doctor is being wasted on this, Rory's (Who's actor's name I can't mind right now) is being wasted, everything else this season (except Gaiman's episode) has been one concentrated fuck you to everything that made Seasons 1-4 awesome.
    Sure there was some bad times with RTD Who (and, hell, Season 5 wasn't too bad all said) but this has just been a mess right about when River Song got upgraded from occasional curiosity to a full up and out Mary Sue.
    You should possibly stop watching ... negative Nancy.
  • Who is over.
    A Haiku by Craig McLeod;

You should possibly stop watching ... negative Nancy.
    I'm done watching, you'd know that if you read the Haiku, Doctor Who is no longer the good show I started watching in 2005 (nor is it the return to the classic who, I watched Remembrance of the Daleks and that was worth a million "Good Man Goes to War"s) and I have better shows to watch on Saturdays.

And if expressing truth is Negative then fuck me I'm lord of the Negaverse.

I'd rather be a hated man of truth than a loved celebrity of falsehood.
  • I just don't understand what was so bad in Saturdays episode. It was great. Lots of focus to Amy abd Rory (I really like them), some cool action scenes and the Doctor forced to lie, decieve and technically kill. I say that I prefer scenes that cause angst to characters rather than scenes where characters just angst.
  • edited September 2011
    The story can be summed up as thus; Rory loves Amy (and vice versa) and the Doctor has to do a hard thing. Yeah, no shit on point one, did the Pandorica episodes never happen or something (Although, given Moffat's eternal stiffy for Time Pardoxes...)? Secondly, oh no! Doctor has to destroy the bad future Amy! Yeah, that'd be an isssue if she wasn't such an up and down unlikable bitch. Note to the writer; making someone a bitch is a poor shortcut for noting someone's become cold to others in 40 years.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Isn't "cold to others" basically a definition of the pejorative? Forty years of isolation, having been supposedly abandoned by the people who you trusted, yeah, Amy's gonna come out of that sunshine and rainbows.
  • Lots of focus to Amy abd Rory (I really like them)
    Therein lies the problem. The show's becoming about them instead of about The Doctor. They carry on like this they really oughta change the title to "Doctor Who?"
  • Lots of focus to Amy abd Rory (I really like them)
    Therein lies the problem. The show's becoming about them instead of about The Doctor. They carry on like this they really oughta change the title to "Doctor Who?"
    I'm not sure the show was ever about The Doctor in the first place. The show has been about what happens to people and places when The Doctor comes to call and what we see is how The Doctor's adventurous nature could complete change the lives of people who has come to call his friends. We get a lot of big, telling Doctor character flaws. The Doctor would rather lie than tell the truth, he'd rather leave the big decision up to someone else because The Doctor never wanted to have the responsibilities that have been thrust upon him. He simply wanted to see all of Time and Space and the excitement of that blinds him to the actual ramifications of his actions.

But even if The Doctor played a lesser role in the episode everything that happens in the show is about The Doctor, just because he exists.
  • Doctor has to destroy the bad future Amy!
    How is she bad?

My one gripe with this episode was that despite being lied to Rory was all 'Well, I've been lied to. Thats ok. Dumdy Dumb".
  • Doctor has to destroy the bad future Amy!
    How is she bad?
    Oh right, forgot my Nerd Slang, Bad Future!Amy.
    Isn't "cold to others" basically a definition of the pejorative? Forty years of isolation, having been supposedly abandoned by the people who you trusted, yeah, Amy's gonna come out of that sunshine and rainbows.
    Not What I said, I said they need to show her as being cold to others, they could, however, do it in a manor that did not invite the wish of death upon her. Her being a bitch for a solid 15 minutes makes me not like the character and thus will not feel sorry when she's wiped from all existence. They did, however, fail so utterly at writing this episode that they made her destroyer come off as an ass.

Then again, same person pinned a pregnant version of said destroyed individual against a wall so writing for the Doctor has been fairly crap ass this season, all said.
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2011
    I got what you meant. I was wondering why it was viewed as a 'Bad' future. Yes I know leaving Amy for 36 years, and by fuck sticks did she make sure that we knew that!, was not what they planned but why did they decide that she was wrong?
    They did, however, fail so utterly at writing this episode that they made her destroyer come off as an ass.
    To paraphrase fucktardery "But the Doctor is a fibly-wibbly-wobberly-woosy-poka'a dottery he can't do any thingwongs". When infact he is a bit of a wangsy arsey-warsy.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Yes I know leaving Amy for 36 years, and by fuck sticks did she make sure that we knew that!
    That actually made me super angry. Bitch, he waited 2000 years for you, two or three decades should be a piece of piss.
  • edited September 2011
    I got what you meant. I was wondering why it was viewed as a 'Bad' future. Yes I know leaving Amy for 36 years, and by fuck sticks did she make sure that we knew that!, was not what they planned but why did they decide that she was wrong?
    The fact you didn't get the Sonic CD Connotations of the phrase speaks wonders. Also, she was wrong and her being such a gigantic bitch doesn't help her case for not being consigned to the same Stygian abyss that once did so claim the likes of Marle and ChibiUsa.
    They did, however, fail so utterly at writing this episode that they made her destroyer come off as an ass.
    To paraphrase fucktardery "But the Doctor is a fibly-wibbly-wobberly-woosy-poka'a dottery he can't do any thingwongs". When infact he is a bit of a wangsy arsey-warsy.
    He's also a punchy-wunchy-wally-pinny Woman Beater this season as well and that fact, given that he's supposed to be the hero for Children to look up to, doesn't sit all that well with me. I get he has to do "wrong" "for the greater good" but the writers somehow succeeded to make something that should have fucking killed him emotionally (or doesn't Donna count for shit these days? Oh Wait, RTD Era character, that's a no, then) into an emotionless "Well, that's done, I'm on vacation, WOOOO!" moment.
    Yes I know leaving Amy for 36 years, and by fuck sticks did she make sure that we knew that!
    That actually made me super angry. Bitch, he waited 2000 years for you, two or three decades should be a piece of piss.
    Oh there's this too. I get it was four decades of running away from the crash test dummies but still that had to have sucked royal for him and he didn't even, like, pop round to the local RS McColls for a paper or anything for those 2000 years ether.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • This episode made up for the last two episodes not being very good. It's not the last goodbye for Amy, Rory and The Doctor, but I want to take a break from the Amy in distress plots that been happening. Before that it was the Rory in distress plot. No more saving all the time. Seesh! But this episode mirrored what was shown in an old episode when it was revealed what the Doctor has faith in. His companions. It was a scene where he fought a creature who was hurt by it and defeated it by shouting the names of past companions. I don't remember what old series doctor did that. Anyway, I've been looking forward to the return of Craig. I like the strange comedy duo magic him and The Doctor has.

I actually forgot about the episode till just tonight. I was focused on con party rockin' and ponies.
  • I think the episode you are thinking of is Midnight, from series 4. If I recall, he doesn't defeat it by saying the names of his companions, he realizes that it is stealing his voice by having it say something it has no way of knowing.
  • Welp, I came as close to crying as I ever do when watching something. The room with Amy waiting just got to me, and the farewell at the end of the episode was heartbreaking. Looking forward to Craig in the next episode, but I probably won't enjoy it as much as the last two.
  • After rewatching The Girl Who Waited, while Amy was messed up, and Rory did wait for Amy for thousands of years (right?), wasn't the point more that they didn't grow old together? Or am I missing something?

Also, mom and I have a thing where every Tuesday we watch the newest Doctor Who together. After reading some things on my Tumblr dashboard and watching it that day, maybe we'll have to pass on it this week. I don't know how well she'll handle The Girl Who Waited, Vincent and The Doctor (rerun on PBS), and The God Complex in one week.
  • Manohmanohman that episode was killer.
  • I didn't watch the previous two episodes (partly because I missed them and partly because of the negative comments they received here) but I did watch this one and it was fantastic. After the episode ended my friends and I were just really quiet for a minute or two.
  • partly because I missed them and partly because of the negative comments they received here
    The Girl Who Waited is worth watching. Night Terrors is certainly skippable, though.
  • edited September 2011
    partly because I missed them and partly because of the negative comments they received here
    The Girl Who Waited is worth watching. Night Terrors is certainly skippable, though.
    Agreed. Especially because The Girl Who Waited gave me "Didilidididi! Two Amys! Didilidididi! Two Amys! Didilidididi! And he's the only man!"
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Latest episode was alright but I reeaaallly feel like I'm not done with Rory. There's all this focus on Amy all the time but I think Rory is so much more interesting - I want to watch an episode about him and the Doctor, rather than Amy and the Doctor with Rory kind of on the side there. Amy is boring.

Really looking forward to the next episode! Cybermen and Craig! FUN TIMES, NO ANGSTING IN SIGHT. YAY.
  • edited September 2011
    While I wasn't a huge fan of The Girl Who Waited, I see it as a necessary companion piece to watch the latest episode. Also, the next episode is the breather episode we all need.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • The God Complex was ok but largely forgettable, except for the ending. I thought the Doctor feeling guilt about bringing along these companions on dangerous adventures for his own selfish needs was an interesting way to go. Plus the car was cool. While I like Amy and Rory I kind of hope he picks up a new companion, I think they've taken those two characters as far as they can.

As for Closing Time I thought it was a waste of a Cybermen episode. Really felt like a filler episode. Only fun part was the Doctor speaking "baby". Can't wait for the next episode, I'm wondering how they'll end this whole Doctor "dying" storyline.
  • I thought yesterdays episode was great and a bit of a breather to the serious stuff going on. Also, I love the baby talk. I love the hilarious dynamic Craig and The Doctor has.
  • Stormageddon is an awesome name! :D