This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• Shut up, Hitler!
  • Blargh. Least Rory has just kept on being awesome and Amy isn't mopping anymore. Other than that it was painful.
  • Mels was the worst character ever and I'm glad she got hers.
  • She just didn't make sense. No one could be that stupid.
  • edited August 2011
    Mels wasn't a great character, but how the episode turned out to be in the end. It was really an origin story for River, but it did leave holes for me. How did she find her parents and how did she get to England as a kid? Does that rengeneration switch give the Doctor a bunch more lives? (I think the limit was 12 or 13 before.) As a best friend to Rory and Amy, why wasn't she ever mentioned? I DID like that it wasn't a story about Hitler. It was a trick.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I loved this episode, it was hilarious in all the right places and when Mels true identity came out my brain was blown away :O
    Also: "Shup up Dad I am concentrating on a dress size!" :P
  • DID like that it wasn't a story about Hitler. It was a trick.
    That pissed me the fuck off. It just struck me as a way of getting more people to watch.
  • I was too busy laughing at all the crazy. The Doctor and River's back and forth over the guns was hilarious.
  • The Doctor and River's back and forth over the guns was hilarious.
    Really? It felt kind of lame and a bit "Nya I knew that, you knew, that you knew, that I knew, that I knew, that you knew, that it was a banana".
  • Man, this Ampersand fellow, is a bit dreary about everything, huh. I enjoy both Torchwood and Doctor Who right now.
  • The scene where Amy tries to convince Rory he is gay is hilarious.
  • The best part is that at the end of the episode, Hitler was still locked in the closet. They just left him there, all alone.
  • Its not that I'm dreary about every, except for doors. I hate doors, what have they got to be cheery about. Its that this is a perfectly good show that is getting fucked up. I saw someone say that the show was good for the sole reason that 'Matt Smith is attractive, that is the best reason of all'. It has cool ideas, it has great potential. Torchwood could have been a great kickstart but instead its flamboyant 24. River Song is one of the worst things to ever come out of what could have been a great idea. The series has its up points but it is buried under layers of crap.

I would pose a question to you do you think that the latest seasons is best?
  • edited August 2011
    Doctor Who is over.

Also, Season 4, to answer the above.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • If you don't like it anymore, you don't have to keep watching.
  • I dig it. it pushes my buttons.
  • I keep watching it because it has potential. There is a little something in each episode that interests me, but it is lost under a load of needless crap. What bugs me most of all is how much its changing. Change is good yes but this doesn't feel like an evolution but rather a sideways shift. It feels that the show has lost its uniqueness, everyone has lost their direction. The Doctor was begining to be established as this tragic figure that was haunted by his past, now is more concerned with being eccentric and "floberdy". Amy was a smart and kept the Doctor in check, at a turn of a hat she became a wet blanket that occasionally ripped on Rory for no good reason. Rory has just stayed awesome one of the better characters to come out of it all. River Song is bad. Just plane bad, her character is weak. The actress is bad. Her dialogue is weak, and at the end of the day she looks like his mum!. Trying to not sound like a mad fan that has ben huffing from the gas tube of conspiracy but it feels that it became popular for its action scenes and not for the Doctor being the Doctor. That and it helps to know what happens in each episode rather than reading a wiki.
  • edited August 2011
    If you think the Doctor is primarily supposed to be haunted by his past and not eccentric and silly, I encourage you to watch some of Tom Baker's time as Doctor. It should change your mind.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I have watched it. A lot of it. Yes Tom Baker's Doctor is the most eccentric and hilarious. He is also dark and brooding, swinging from rambling over jelly babies to filled with a self loathing hatred over what he had become. Don't fall into the trap of only seeing the silliness, they have all be dark. My gripe with Smith is that he can do the funny stuff competently, what he can't do is seriousness very well. He tries but it just feels flat. His anger feels forced, rather than shouting he just raises his voice a bit. There is none of the intensity that you see in others, none of the fire.
  • I really like it how current Doctor is more light hearted and kinda silly while at the same time having the worst reputation. It seems that Doctor is seen across time and space as something scary and powerful. I think that that contrast between the character of the Doctor and how he is seen by people who don't know better is one of the more interesting things in the last two seasons.
  • So I absolutely loved the latest episode. The Doctor and River's Xanatos Speed Chess was a sight to behold and it was great to see 11's little call back to 9's stunt back in "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" with the banana. Good ol' fruit of the loon, some things never change.

Rory was running around bad ass per usual, though it was both hilarious and sad that Amy thought he was gay the entire time. Just seems like insult to injury.

I see they found a way around River Song's permanent death and how they're going to justify the Doctor's "12 regeneration limit" thing. Not my first choice of solution, but hey, at least they have a reason to keep the ball rolling.

While River was never my favorite character/companion, for some reason her whole mini-villain saga just made me like her more even though it was way too short. As much fun as it was to make this "The Origin of River Song" it's the sort of plot that should've spanned a lot longer.

Overall, I give this an "Pretty Cool".
  • Rory was running around bad ass per usual, though it was both hilarious and sad that Amy thought he was gay the entire time.
    I thought that was too absurd to be true...until I witnessed that exact same conversation earlier today.
  • edited August 2011
    I...I want that in poster size.
    If you think the Doctor is primarily supposed to be haunted by his past and not eccentric and silly, I encourage you to watch some of Tom Baker's time as Doctor. It should change your mind.
    I Watched Remembrance of the Daleks, I know plenty of what Doctor Who is about and understand that 9 and 10's story line and pathos regarding the time war was unique to them.

What "Let's Kill Hitler" was is Moffat proudly swinging Mary Sue River Song in our faces and going "Look at her! She's my character and she's so awesome and is going to love the doctor and be tragic and hit every other note on TV Trope's page on Mary Sue! This whole thing about small people killing Histories' greatest despots leading to The Doctor inadvertently saving Hitler? FUCK THAT STORYLINE BRA it's RIVER TIME!"

What I expected was a Doctor Who episode and what we got was some low rent version of Terminator Meets Twilight.

And unless Moffat turns this fucking bus around and gets back to the time travelling, alien defeating and not being Lost in space'ing, he's going to drive the bus right over the fucking cliff and that'll be the end of it.

PS: I am fully aware that RTD isn't doing much better with Torchwood.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • I liked the episode, but I would have liked a cheese episode involving Hitler. Maybe something stupid like the Hitler we know was actually a Dalek and Nazis come from space, and the real Hitler was a swell guy or some dumb shit like that. I don't know, I just like it when there's a more over the top episode every once in a while.
  • People seem to forgot that latest episode was a second part of two parter. I too would have liked a one shot episode about Hitler, but it couldn't have been this latest one. Knowing that last episode was direct continuation to "A Good Man Goes to War" it was kinda obvious that River would be not only involved, but central part of the episode plot.
  • I had entirely forgotten that it was meant to lead on from "A Good Man Goes to War", really did not pick up on that in anyway. Didn't feel like it continues or was really address to much.
  • See? When you have an episode of Doctor Who that is about Science Fiction, the Doctor Being awesome and not one iota of Merry Sue, you can get a good episode as was the case with tonight's