This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• Yeah, that one's whatever, but the ending to the season after that is amazing.
  • Sorry for the double post, but I found this. First, some explanation. In Human Nature/The Family of Blood, when The Doctor leaves that video for Martha, there's a scene where she fast-forwards through it. To make it look natural, they have Tennant just ramble for about a minute and a half while inflecting and motioning around to make it look real. The final result? This:

• edited August 2011
    If I wanted to check out some classic Who, where's a good place to start?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2011
    Tom Baker, but you still have to pick and choose for the good episodes.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If I wanted to check out some classic Who, where's a good place to start?
    This is a site I recommend everyone, that want to check some classic Who.
    I would personally start with:
    An Unearthly Child:

Then I would go to The Daleks:

Then The Dalek Invasion of Earth:

I would also recommend "The War Games" for the second Doctor:

Enjoy :D
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, those are good; I saw around 3 of those at some point.
    The old Doctor Who is indeed rather variable and there's a lot of it, so you definitely have to research for the best ones.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • For Tom Baker I would recommend
    The City of Death

The Genesis of the Daleks

The Deadly Assassin:
  • Gwen blew up a concentration camp! YAY
  • edited August 2011
    Really? I agree that Sherlock was good but man it feels like he is screwing everything up. River Song was painful, Amy Pond has lost all character and the stories are just a bit flat. I know people will list some of what they feel to be his best episodes, and some are, but then look at those that aren't so good. It feels like the older vibe of polar extremes to just 'Look at the doctor being all loopy-fruity-doopy lets try this thingamyboby'. I don't get the feeling that the Doctor is a man haunted by his actions trying to vainer over it. I would also raise the point that it was Russell T Davis that brought the series back.
    Oh god! I thought I was alone in the universe, a lone sane man in a universe of insanity. I'm not the only person who thinks that season 6 was the start of a very bad year for Doctor Who (Between Sarah Jane and the Brigadier dying in real life, season 6.1 being a real piece of work and Torchwood: Miracle day being pure concentrated shit)!
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • AmpAmp
    edited August 2011
    Torchwood: Miracle day being pure concentrated shit
    Yep the latest episode was painful. Not even bad good just bad. The show isn't about a small group of people dealing with little problems. It feels more like 24 with tits. Also if things were this bad why has the doctor not turned up? I might have donned the pants of obliviousness but surely if we had set up FUCKING CONCENTRATION CAMPS, then why the hell has the Doctor turned up? That was what made Torchwood, they delt with the smaller problems that the Doctor didn't have time for. Now they are the world police of fart arsing. Gwen isn't Gwen she is GI Jane with a warped sense of morals and has apparently undergone the John Woo school of gun fighting coupled with the 80's movie crash course in 'How to walk away from explosions'.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Its not THAT bad. I can buy that Gwen would be a little more hardcore after everything from Torchwood's past, but this really does sort of mess with the canon. I mean this sort of will have fucked up the whole Whoniverse. Something like this sort of has a big effect. Not just "wow those spaceships and aliens were crazy. Oh well lets move on." Its more like "HOLYFUCKINGSHITTHEWAYWELIVEINTHEWORLDISCHANGEDCOMPLETELYBLAHBLAHBLAH." I'm curious to see what will happen in the next season of Doctor who, and if there are even any mentions of this.
  • I'm curious to see what will happen in the next season of Doctor who, and if there are even any mentions of this.
    I doubt it there hasn't been any hints as yet. Unless they have the Doctor rolling in at the end of the day. In that case then it looks the writers have been on the crazy train for to long. I don't know about the next season season but it does look like a bit of a wet fart. I just hope the amount of River we see is very small.
    I can buy that Gwen would be a little more hardcore after everything from Torchwood's past, but this really does sort of mess with the canon.
    I can believe that Gwen is maybe a little bit more confidant holding a gun. Beyond that not really she just pulls skills out of he arse when she needs them. For instance when did she learn how to use plastic explosives? She goes from being super bad ass to suddenly quivering wreck to badass to wreck. Her husband is the same, one moment normal Welsh guy the next Rambo. Jack seems to be on a mission to sleep with everything. It could have been cool, in a grass roots way. Seeing the slow rise of it and the problems that is cause instead of this global conspiracy. Also on a personal gripe. It is a series set in Wales, founded in Wales and has a Welsh main character. Why then does everything important have to happen in the US? When did the CIA have the power to control anything and anyone that they want? What about the rest of the world?

I like Rex in the way that every second I'm expecting him to say "Im to old for this shit". The rest of his team are a bit pants.
  • Jack seems to be on a mission to sleep with everything.
    And this is inconsistent with his character how? ;)
  • And this is inconsistent with his character how? ;)
    I know he was a bit before hand but now every other person that he meets he is trying to Charleston with. That and he has gotten over Ianto Jones a bit quick. But I guess player is gonna play.
  • And this is inconsistent with his character how? ;)
    I know he was a bit before hand but now every other person that he meets he is trying to Charleston with. That and he has gotten over Ianto Jones a bit quick. But I guess player is gonna play.
    well its been a while since I've seen it but in season 3 didn't he run off in time and space with his armband thing? He could have been gone for a hundred years for all we know.
  • well its been a while since I've seen it but in season 3 didn't he run off in time and space with his armband thing? He could have been gone for a hundred years for all we know.
    Im not sure but he isnt really showing much in the way of character save for the odd bit of anger, hangover and being shagged out (figuratively and literally). Its a shame Barryman is awesome.
  • I thought the most recent episode TW:MD was a bit better if for no other reason than it focused almost completely on Jack. My biggest problem with the show are the new characters. They are either bland and idiotic or cartoonishly over-the-top caricatures.
  • My biggest problem with the show are the new characters. They are either bland and idiotic or cartoonishly over-the-top caricatures.
    Yeah the new girl is basically generic white girl, and Rex is generic Black cop. Maybe they made them boring because it will be easier for the viewer whe they eventually get killed off, ( if past seasons are any indication.)
  • edited August 2011
    My biggest problem with the show are the new characters. They are either bland and idiotic or cartoonishly over-the-top caricatures.
    Yeah the new girl is basically generic white girl, and Rex is generic Black cop. Maybe they made them boring because it will be easier for the viewer whe they eventually get killed off, ( if past seasons are any indication.)
    If the viewers aren't invested in the characters, then their deaths mean nothing; thus, rendering their deaths (as well as the characters in general) pointless within the narrative.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My biggest problem with the show are the new characters. They are either bland and idiotic or cartoonishly over-the-top caricatures.
    If the viewers aren't invested in the characters, then their deaths mean nothing; thus, rendering their deaths (as well as the characters in general) pointless within the narrative.
    Yup.
  • I'd agree, it feels that everyone sort of changed. It made it kind of hard to relate or care about any of them. Though yes the girl is absolutely useless in every way.

Having said that a Jack Bauer and Jack Harkness cross over would be epic.
  • "Tell me where Davros is!"
  • edited August 2011
    I hope you don't mean slash fiction...
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited August 2011
    I hope you don'mean slash fiction...
    Jack Harkness is his own slash fiction.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The slash could be interesting. No I want to see them fight space terrorists together. It would be the greatest double act eve!
  • "I need a sonic screwdriver."
  • Tomorrow.

• I see cybermats in the future! :D
  • Somehow, it makes total sense that River is a psychopath xD