This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• The question was in plain sight this entire time!
    And, just as the show predicted, silence did fall when the question was asked... among the audience. Seriously? I get the whole wondering who the Doctor is, but using the title of the show explicitly like that just does not work for me at all, when it's always been a subtle, occasionally referenced running joke.
    The hell it has. Have you watched any of the old show? They did that all the time. It's been toned down a lot since the reboot, but never subtle.
    Alright, I admit, subtle wasn't the proper word. It's still gone from a bit of a nod to the audience to a full-blown plot. And while the new show has been what I've primarily watched, I have been trying to watch what I can of the old show through Netflix and the like, but I can't say I've encountered it there much. Perhaps I just haven't seen enough, but from what I have seen it's always seemed like more of a 'wink-wink look we're clever' moment than anything.
  • I'm fairly sure they come right out and say it in the first serial, if not the first episode.
  • I had been on r/doctorwho too much and thought it was going to be something about asking River to marry him. So when the question was asked, I felt stupid.

Also, why did the Doctor use his bowtie like that?
  • Because it is the next best thing :P
    Also, what is up with rabbits in the UK?
  • I'm almost certain those eyepatches have an image of the Silence on the inside, thus allowing the characters to remember them at all times.
    Fucking called it.
  • "And the adventure will Continue, forever."
    Thank you, Ms. Sladen
    Thank you, Ms. Sladen
    ? Last ep of SJA quote?
    Thank you, Ms. Sladen
    ? Last ep of SJA quote?
    Indeed. It's a terrible day for rain.
  • Been watching some Tom Baker era Doctor Who for the first time lately. If you can look past the laughably bad effects the stories seem to hold up pretty well. The whole Genesis of the Daleks ark was great.
  • It's almost that time again.

(I actually had to use Google to find this thread, wow the built-in search is bad.)
  • I was so up for this until I saw Moffat's name on it.

It might as well be Garzy's Wing at this point.
  • Lion, Witch and the Doctor?!
  • Welp, that looks totally awesome, and those wooden statue things look pretty freaky.
  • I'm just gonna leave this here. It'll help tide you guys over 'till Christmas.
  • edited November 2011
    I'm just gonna leave this here. It'll help tide you guys over 'till Christmas.
    "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by BBC Worldwide."

Edit- Ah, here we are

Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Today's TeeFury shirt. Scott would love this if he were a Who fan:

• Just finished watching the Christmas special. Definitely my favorite one so far, surprising since Matt Smith is not my favorite Doctor.
  • This was a pretty good episode the only let down is that now we have to wait 10 months for the next episode, and there was no preview :(
  • It was alright, kind of wished Bill Bailey had a bigger role.
  • I was pleasantly surprised that he was in it all.
  • It was cute. I enjoyed watching it.
  • You know, I'm not as excited for the next season of Doctor Who. Even after seeing this trailer. Plus, I'm not looking forward to the Sleeping Angels since their appeal keeps going away every time they're written. They can't remake Blink.
  • Yeah Blink was awesome but they've ruined it by pandering to the fans and trying to get blood from a stone.

I didn't think the writing could get worse than Davies but sometimes now I wonder...
  • Blink was an interesting episode, but the Weeping Angels are definitely my least favorite Who monsters. It seems like they just keep jacking up their "power levels" every time they appear, which just annoys me. The whole "image of an angel becomes an angel" thing in particular, since they mentioned that even a mental image of an angel can become an angel. If that was truly the case, then then Angels would be invincible as you can only stop them by seeing them, but seeing them makes an Angel appear in your brain that gets you anyway.
  • Exactly, they wrote themselves into a stupid corner trying to be "epic". Blink worked because it was quirky and fun. They've thoroughly belabored it now.
  • They do seem to have made it "bigger" as opposed to the Doctor and chums traveling round fixing all the behind the scenes maguffins like lovable cockney scamps that they are. It takes away from a lot of what made the Doctor the Doctor.
  • This only further justifies my distaste for Matt Smith. :P

I'm super jealous that I didn't come up with that T-shirt concept. It's SO obviously a great mashup. *sigh*