This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• I will like this show forever. Even if it becomes objectively bad.
  • As for Closing Time I thought it was a waste of a Cybermen episode.
    Cyberman episodes suck. I'm glad this one is at least paired with Craig to make it somewhat enjoyable.
  • As for Closing Time I thought it was a waste of a Cybermen episode.
    Cyberman episodes suck. I'm glad this one is at least paired with Craig to make it somewhat enjoyable.
    Even the steampunk Christmas one!? That is the one good one.
  • Even the steampunk Christmas one!? That is the one good one.
    h8 that one. I think the only one I kind of liked was Army of Ghosts/Doomsday.
    I only liked it because of the Daleks vs. Cybermen.
    I only liked it because of the Daleks vs. Cybermen.
    "THIS IS NOT WAR. THIS IS PEST CONTROL."
    That was the only good part of those episodes, and the whole alternate-universe-with-Cybermen thing was pretty dumb, IMO. My favorite new Cybermen episode is definitely the Cybermen in Victorian London one, and even that wasn't super memorable.
  • So I guess the consensus is that cybermen don't have the best episodes, but the Christmas one was okay/great/meh.
  • All I know is the Christmas one had a Giant Cyberman stomp Victorian London. That was fine Christmas entertainment for me.
  • I have never seen any Dr. Who. Where should I start?
  • edited September 2011
    Depends on how long a haul you're looking for. Either start with the first 9th Doctor episode if you have the time, or with the first 11th Doctor episode, because the 11th Doctor's been very self-referential and timey-whimey. Because the 9th Doctor only lasted a season and the biggest reoccurring character of the first part of the revival is introduced with the 9th Doctor, it's best to start with 9 and not 10. If you like that stuff, you can start going back and watching old serials; it's not terribly worth watching stuff from 1-3 at first because there are so many holes, but 4 and 5 had really good runs.

So, start with either "Rose" for the 9th Doctor or "The Eleventh Hour" for 11th Doctor. If you're going to start with 11 though, I'd go back and watch "Silence in the Library" after you watch the first episode, and "Blink" before you watch "The Time of Angels"

If you are just looking for single episodes to get the feel of the show, "Dalek", "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances", "The Girl in the Fireplace", "The Beast Below" and "Night Terrors" are all excellent stand-alone episodes.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited September 2011
    I have seen the promo pictures for the last episode of this season and, they don't make any sense at all.
    And that alone makes them awesome :D

I am sorry, I do not know how to make them smaller :O Fixed :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Put width="XX%" or "XXpx" in the image tags.
    All those eye patches can't possibly be necessary, there must be something more to them than covering missing eyes.
  • I'm almost certain those eyepatches have an image of the Silence on the inside, thus allowing the characters to remember them at all times.
  • I can just see that Moffat is enough of a dick that now that he'd finally get "His" doctor, he'd make sure there were no more doctors.
  • So how long before Daniel Radcliffe becomes the Doctor?
  • edited September 2011
    So how long before Daniel Radcliffe becomes the Doctor?
    People say they want the guy who played Ron to be next doctor. I support this! GINGERS! <3

Matt Smith with a beard is not that bad. I'm kinda into beards at the moment though.
    Post edited by Viga on
    People say they want the guy who played Ron to be next doctor. I support this! GINGERS! <3

Matt Smith with a beard is not that bad. I'm kinda into beards at the moment though.</p>
    Actually, to keep up with the trend of the age of the doctor decreasing with each regeneration, the 13th Doctor is currently 2.

Matt Smith with a beard is not that bad. I'm kinda into beards at the moment though.</p>
    Actually, to keep up with the trend of the age of the doctor decreasing with each regeneration, the 13th Doctor is currently 2.
    That hasn't always happened. The Sixth was older than the Fifth, and there were a few others. I'm pretty sure Nine was older than Eight, for example.
  • I recently re-watched a few Tenth Doctor episodes, and I have to say, I genuinely miss getting swept up in the show on an emotional level.
  • That finale was so disappointing :(
  • I liked it. The made it look like they were about to make everything better with the power of love (again!). And then they thankfully didn't.
  • LOVED IT!
  • Disappointed as well. I thought they'd come up with something more clever than that.
  • Oh wow! That was so AMAZING how they followed up from the stuff from last season and-and had things that happen mean stuff and how the main character acted like he had some god-damned balls and-

Oh wait, we're not talking about Merlin? Because that was Awesome,

Steven Moffat's Lost was shit, however.
  • The question was in plain sight this entire time!
    And, just as the show predicted, silence did fall when the question was asked... among the audience. Seriously? I get the whole wondering who the Doctor is, but using the title of the show explicitly like that just does not work for me at all, when it's always been a subtle, occasionally referenced running joke.
    And, just as the show predicted, silence did fall when the question was asked... among the audience. Seriously? I get the whole wondering who the Doctor is, but using the title of the show explicitly like that just does not work for me at all, when it's always been a subtle, occasionally referenced running joke.
    The hell it has. Have you watched any of the old show? They did that all the time. It's been toned down a lot since the reboot, but never subtle.
  • edited October 2011
    Seriously. The moment they started to talk about the question I knew what it would be. Well I formed it differently, but it wasn't surprise or shock to me.

My biggest problem with the episode was in the cars tied to the balloons. They weren't anything cool like hot-air balloons or zeppelins, just normal cars tied to balloons, what was that all about? That was just silly.
    Post edited by Apsup on