This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Regional differences

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
A few years back when I first chatted online I realized there's many small difference in other states. For example in D.C. and surrounding places the Chinese carry outs have mumbo sauce. Or if you look or dress bad you would be called a bamma. So what are some unique things about your neck of the woods?

Comments

• I'm in CANADA! =D

Um. We sing O'Canada and face the Canadian flag during national anthems. We like hockey. It snowed today.
  • It's soda, not pop.

Also, a long sandwich with vegetables and cold meats on it is a sub. However, a similar sandwich with meatballs, or other hot meat/sauce/cheese combinations is called a grinder.

The things you push around the supermarket are wagons.
  • Also, a long sandwich with vegetables and cold meats on it is a sub.
    Sorry, buddy. That's a hoagie.
  • The things you push around the supermarket are wagons.
    Shopping cart.
  • The things you push around the supermarket are wagons.
    Only Scott calls them that.  Most New Yorkers call them "shopping carts" or simply "carts."  I don't know if it's some weird Connecticut thing, or if Scott's just weird. but seriously, no one else here calls them that.
  • It's soda, not pop.
    Agreed. Fuck you Midwesterners.
    Carts.
  • It's soda, not pop.
    Who says pop? Soda people, soda!
    Also, a long sandwich with vegetables and cold meats on it is a sub.
    Sorry, buddy. That's a hoagie.
    Subs.
  • edited October 2007
    The things you push around the supermarket arewagons.
    Carts.
    Trolleys, you imbecile!

And there's a "u" in colour!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • And there's a "u" in colour!
    300 million Americans. 60 million Brits. Guess who gets to cut vowels now, bitch :D
    300 million Americans. 60 million Brits. Guess who gets to cut vowels now, bitch :D
    Great quote...great quote, Jason.
    Ai, but what about the Canadians, EH? In -our- spelling, colour is right, color is wrong! So, add ..um... however many Canadians there are to the Brits!
  • 60,000,010 and three polar bears, two moose, and some salmon.
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    The moose was sacked.
  • edited October 2007
    60,000,010 and three polar bears, two moose, and some salmon.
    The moose was sacked.
    We apologize for the fault in the subtitles.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited October 2007
    In Massachusetts, soda is called "tonic".

Here in Vermont, sub and grinder are used interchangeably.

Vermont has a good one, though... soft serve ice cream is called a "creemee". Yup... parents actually tell their kids that they are going out for a "creemee."
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I was told that here in Nova Scotia we are the only ones that use the term "Donair" instead of "Gyro".
  • In Massachusetts, soda is called "tonic".
    No it's not.
    It's really not.
    I've lived in Massachusetts nearly all my life.
    We call it soda.
  • It's called a sub, people. You might hear grinder, hero, hoagie, torpedo, or dagwood, but those are all wrong. It's a sub.

And it's definitely a cart, not a wagon.

How about regional pronunciations? Is your mom's sister your "ant" or your "ahnt?"
  • edited October 2007
    How about regional pronunciations? Is your mom's sister your "ant" or your "ahnt?"
    In KY, many people said "aint" for "aunt" and "cain't" for "can't".

In Louisville, KY, there was a folktale about a "Goatman" that supposedly haunted a railroad trestle. I happened to be at the University of Maryland library the other day, and I saw an exhibit about Maryland folklore. They had the exact same story about a "Goatman". I thought it was interesting that the same character turns up in both state's folklores.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • How about regional pronunciations? Is your mom's sister your "ant" or your "ahnt?"
    In KY, many people said "aint" for "aunt" and "cain't" for "can't".
    Where I live Security is "Sekurity" and instead of you are it's "you is." Aunt is Ahnt.
  • This is not so much a regional difference than a rural/urban difference: I never met so many people with so many different allergies as I have since I've lived in towns and cities. I grew up in rural squalor and I'm not allergic to anything. None of my relatives and none of the kids I was in school with were allergic to anything either.
  • In Texas (where I do not live) people say y'all and fixin-to....morons!
  • I rent an apartment, not a flat.

I eat potato chips, not potato crisps.

I eat fries with my burgers, not chips.
  • In Texas (where I do not live) people say y'all and fixin-to....morons!
    We did that too. We also said, "Tell you what . . .":

That there tabaccy bed is full of spiders! Tell you what . . .

What?

Spiders! Tell you what . . .

What?

And so on.
  • In Germany Paprika means pepper not the stuff you get in a spice bottle. Found that one out the hard way.
  • Scott's just weird.
    OMG! RIPPED OUT OF CONTEXT FTW :D And +1.

And we have Drop! DROP! MUHAHAHAHAAA!!! It translates to Licorice (since English doesn't has drop, thus does not have a proper word) but is waaaaaaaay more awesome!

Also, we wear clogs and live underwater.
  • Where I'm from (Philadelphia):
    Sandwiches on long bread are called hoagies.
    Soda is called soda.
    Italian ice is called water ice (pronounced wood-er)
    Mary, merry and marry all sound different.

Where I live (Atlanta):
    Sandwiches on long bread are called subs.
    Soda is called Coke no matter what kind you actually want.
    They've never heard of Italian ice and pronounce water "wah-ter"
    Mary, merry and marry all sound the same
  • In South Boston, they call it tonic. I guess it's not a statewide phenomenon.
  • edited October 2007
    Only Scott calls them that.  Most New Yorkers call them "shopping carts" or simply "carts."  I don't know if it's some weird Connecticut thing, or if Scott's just weird. but seriously, no one else here calls them that.

I live in Connecticut.  They're carts or shopping carts.
    One year's worth of a TV show is a season, not a series, as England seems to call it.  A series refers to the show itself. (e.g., I watched the first season of the hit TV series Heroes.)
    Post edited by trogdor9 on