This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Regional differences

Comments

• Are you going to make us put tongue-in-cheek tags on posts?
    While I won't protest such a thing, I won't push for it either. As I would hope many in here could tell when things are meant as such.
  • Context clues, darlin'. Most of us are rather intelligent, with the obvious exceptions of WIP and Joe :D
  • Context clues, darlin'. Most of us are rather intelligent, with the obvious exceptions of WIP and Joe :D
    True, though this is the Internet, so I'm always willing to change my opinion with little more then a drop of a hat, as I'm sure that an untrained monkey could find it's way onto the Internet in these days.

Oh and "Cod" can be used in place of any noun or verb.
  • Context clues, darlin'. Most of us are rather unintelligent, with the obvious exceptions of WIP and Joe :D
  • Now that I think of it, I have never heard either soda or pop being used. In Sydney we mainly say Soft Drink, and shopping carts = trolleys. I'm from Western Australia and we mainly call it 'cool drink'. I've never heard soda or pop either except on TV. The wikipedia article on this topic issurprisingly comprehensive.

I'm from Western Australia and everyone I've known, calls carbonated flavoured drinks "soft drinks"; as if you were to deny this you will be offered juice water or alcohol.
    I have to agree with the American way of spelling, eventhough Australia is still a colony, the American spelling makes more sense when pronouncing these words in the English language.  An argument raged for 3 years in my University course between the British students and the American students as to which was the more correct way of spelling these words to the point that they actually did research on it and the British students conceded.
    However countries that still use the outdated and totally innapropriate Imperial system of measurement suck - that includes you Britain.
  • However countries that still use the outdated and totally innapropriate Imperial system of measurement suck - that includes you Britain.
    RESPECT +100! :D
  • Context clues, darlin'. Most of us are rather unintelligent, with the obvious exceptions of WIP and Joe :D
    Sassy.
  • What I've learned from Maryland:

Carbonated beverage = SODA

A lot of people where I live say "Warshington DC" which annoys teh hell out of me, but I can't stop it. I, however, do not partake in "redneck speak".

The back of a car is the trunk. Apparently some people call it something different, according to my friend.

Everyone out here says trash can, but I have a habit of calling it a "rubbish bin". I have NO idea where I got that from.
  • "Warshington DC"
    Maybe it's because I live so close to DC I never heard that. We just cal it DC.

What part of MD you're from? Upper part? South part? Bay area?
  • "Warshington DC"

Kent Island, aka the "gateway" to the Eastern Shore. We're the first stop across the bay bridge. ^__^

Which part specifically are you from?
  • "Warshington DC"

Kent Island, aka the "gateway" to the Eastern Shore. We're the first stop across the bay bridge. ^__^

Which part specifically are you from?
    PG county. Next to DC.
  • Ice cream + milk + flavored syrup == Frappe.
    Milk + flavored syrup + shaking == Milkshake.

Get it right, people.
  • edited October 2007
    1. SOFT DRINK, you freaks
    I still don't understand how people can refer to a carbonated beverage that feels like it burns when in my mouth a "soft" drink.

I really don't notice any regional differences in the Pacific Northwest so much. There probably is, I either don't care or just don't notice. However, I've recently seen advertisements on how people in the NW wear socks when they wear open-toed sandals. I laughed and realized that my boyfriend does that. I, personaly don't understand it myself. Whenever I wear open-toed sandals, socks are not and option.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ice cream + milk + flavored syrup == Frappe.
    Milk + flavored syrup + shaking == Milkshake.

Get it right, people.
    Wrong.
    Milk + syrup + shaking = flavored milk.
    Ice cream + milk + syrup + blender = milk shake.
    Frappe = something you get at Starbucks.
  • Australia has horrible milkshakes (no offense). Or maybe it is a different term to them. . . when I tried their milkshake, it was like a chocolate milk, just a bit creamier. The milkshake I'm used to has milk + syrup + ice cream... >>; Made me a bit sad when I was there, actually.

Aren't frappes from Starbucks made out of ice, cream and flavouring? Their frappachinos are.
  • edited October 2007
    Aren't frappes from Starbucks made out of ice, cream and flavouring? Their frappachinos are.
    Cream, Ice and flavor is correct and delicious.

A "u" in flavoring?

Personally I'd choose bubble milk tea over Starbucks any day!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • A "u" in flavoring?He's an out-of-towner.
  • She, thank you. And yes, it's Canadian. Canadian = British spelling. Pretty sure I said something about it before.
  • edited October 2007
    I don't know if this has to do with region, but I head Cory Doctorow mispronounce Missouri. Missouri is pronounced "miss-or-ee" not "miss-orah". People in Missouri pronounce it the former, so why are there people who say the latter?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • She, thank you. And yes, it's Canadian. Canadian = British spelling. Pretty sure I said something about it before.
    That's flying a little loose with the rules now isn't it? When was the last time you saw an aeroplane? It's the same as saying Quebec french equals French french, while it's closer then say the french in Belgium they're still different things.
  • Frappe = a word you get beat up for saying.
    Fixed.
    That's flying a little loose with the rules now isn't it? When was the last time you saw an aeroplane? It's the same as saying Quebec french equals French french, while it's closer then say the french in Belgium they're still different things.
    *shrugs* This is true. I guess it's kind of like how some things stayed (for example, the u in favourite) versus other thigns (like aeroplane.) *shrugs*

...Please correct me if I misunderstood what you said. XD
  • Personally I'd choose bubble milk tea over Starbucks any day!
    Strange but tasty. It's like a meal in a glass!
  • Where I grew up (Iowa)
    Pop for a carbonated beverage.
    Malt for a milk shake.
    shopping cart
    Hoagie until Subway came around.
    We would say "take Highway 75" when giving directions.

Where I live now (Southern Missouri - The Ozarks)
    Soda for a carbonated beverage.
    Shake for Milk Shake.
    Cart or buggie for shopping cart.
    Sub not hoagie.
    They say "take 75 Highway" when giving directions.
    The chinese restaurants serve "Cashew Chicken" Breaded chicken with a peanut sauce and covered with cashews. It's a little to anacardic for my tastes.
  • edited October 2007
    Where I lived (India):
    Aunt = Ahnt(y)
    Color = Colour (Even though I don't live there, I spell it "colour")
    Sub = Sandwich
    Carts, we call it "trolley"
    Aw, the Metric system.
    My personal favorite: Z = Sed

Where I live currently (Chicago):
    Color without the U.
    Pop or Soda Pop.
    Subs not anythung else. (Atleast in the 'burbs)
    Shopping cart, not wagon.
    Post edited by Meru on
  • I still don't understand how people can refer to a carbonated beverage that feels like it burns when in my mouth a "soft" drink.
    So how much did Scott pay you to say this?
  • >_> <_<

Where I live! >:D The Netherlands!
    Frisdrank for Soda.
    Tante for Aunt.
    Kleur for Colour.
    ... for Subs (wtheck are those? Never had them).
    Winkelwagen(tje) for Shopping cart.
    Milk Shake for Milk Shake.
  • >_> <_<

Where I live! >:D The Netherlands!
    Frisdrank for Soda.
    Tante for Aunt.
    Kleur for Colour.
    ... for Subs (wtheck are those? Never had them).
    Winkelwagen(tje) for Shopping cart.
    Milk Shake for Milk Shake.
    A sub is a long sandwich. It's very delicious! image
  • ... for Subs (wtheck are those? Never had them).A submarine sandwich is any of various sandwiches made on a long roll (usually up to 12" long by 3 " wide) or baguette (called "French bread" or a "submarine roll" in the U.S.), so called because of its shape. The contents typically include meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and various condiments, sauces or dressings.

• edited October 2007
    In downstate Illinois (yes, there is a space outside Chicago!) where I live we're right on the border of "redneck-ville", so we get all kinds of mangling of pronunciation and grammar. I hear "warsh" instead of "wash", "crawn" instead of "crayon", and various other atrocities against the English language that would make your head spin. As for local names for things, it's "soda" or "soda-pop" for carbonated beverages, "cart" for the thing you push around the store, and "sub" for the torpedo-shaped sandwich. Milkshakes consist of milk, ice cream, and flavored syrup that have been run through a blender, your mother's sister is pronounced "ant", and if you're getting driving directions from someone expect to get the distance given to you in minutes of driving time combined with local landmarks instead of mileage and/or street names (unless you're in a town).

Other possible local oddities:

We go to the "movies", not the "theater" or "cinema".
    It's a "tire iron", not a "spanner" or "lug wrench".
    If you want more than one of an item then "a couple" = two, "a few" = three, and if you want more than that, be specific.
    Post edited by Techparadox on