This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Come to think of it, Aang should have been required to travel the world and be Johnny Appleseed to replenish the supply of Airbenders.
    Tenzin ain't doing so bad on his own. He's got 4 so far.
    No, no, I'm talking about professional basketball player level of fatherhood.
    It's true, he has a duty to the world. Although, are the offspring of an avatar of varied bending ability?
  • Come to think of it, Aang should have been required to travel the world and be Johnny Appleseed to replenish the supply of Airbenders.
    Tenzin ain't doing so bad on his own. He's got 4 so far.
    No, no, I'm talking about professional basketball player level of fatherhood.
    It's true, he has a duty to the world. Although, are the offspring of an avatar of varied bending ability?
    Hard to say - so far, the avatar business seems to be a question of the avatar "Spirit" rather than genetics.

I'm not to far in, so I suppose there is the question - other than the avatar, are there people within, say, the Water nation who can firebend instead of waterbend? If they can, do they get fucked off to the fire nation, or is all chill?

• I think bending is like being a sorcerer in The Second Apocalypse: you're born a bender (can see the Onta), you train in a single discipline (Gnostic, Anagogic, etc.), but the Avatar (Kellhus) can take train in more than one discipline (The Third Word).
  • Hard to say - so far, the avatar business seems to be a question of the avatar "Spirit" rather than genetics.

I'm not to far in, so I suppose there is the question - other than the avatar, are there people within, say, the Water nation who can firebend instead of waterbend? If they can, do they get fucked off to the fire nation, or is all chill?
    There seems to be quite a bit of tribal pride -- drawing from the fact that the fire,water,earth nations are still distinct, and not interbred and having all kinds of bender babies, with recessive bending, etc. There are exceptions, like Bolin and Boring-face, probably a result of New York.. "Republic" City.
  • Avatar: The Promise is all about Fire Nation colonists that are living in the Earth Kingdom. Zuko wants one thing, Earth King Kuei wants another and neither of them care what the people living in Yu Dao want.
  • All caught up.
  • All caught up.
    Well, I'm though the first season. I'm working on the second not quite as we speak, but near enough.
  • The Legend of Korra's FB page made a post, which is more than likely a typo of Friday instead of Saturday is toying with people's emotions.
  • It's not that dramatic Ro, reign it in. :P
  • Called most of the events of this episode around six episodes ago, but that last speedboat scene, holy fuck.

Specifically, I called that because this was the "Air" book, Korra would lose everything save for Airbending and have to start over.
  • OH JESUS I CALLED THIS TOO SOON ALL MY FEELS
  • Dat ending.

I can see how this was originally supposed to be the ending of a miniseries before they ordered season 2. It's pretty concluding, albeit kinda deus ex machina. But still...
    Tarlok-Amon connection was great.
    Korra airbending was great.
    Seeing Bumi was great.
    All in all, this finale was solid.
  • I feel like this ending was way too happy. An Avatar season needs to end in a soul crushing fashion.
  • You have to remember that this was intended to be a miniseries and not continue.
    But
    I don't think they'll have a problem continuing this. Could Amon or Tarlok have lived? Maybe. But there's likely still a whole slew of Equalists left in the city, plus now the army has moved in. Korra is the fully awakened Avatar, and Asami is probably still unhappy over how Mako and Korra are together. Hiroshi is still around in places and clearly crazy. Lots of threads to tie up for another 14-episode season.
  • I don't know. Part of what made the original Avatar excellent is that it had a goal, an ending that it was always driving towards. This had that too, but now it seems like there's nothing as strong driving the show. We'll see.
  • It's possible, but I hope for the best. I hope the show getting more seasons doesn't result in bad plotting...
  • George is drinking the haterade.
  • Holy shit.
    I was fairly certain Amon either was a bender or came from a bending-centric family, but I didn't see the Tarrlock connection coming. That was awesome. I was hoping they wouldn't give Korra her bending back and leave everything bittersweet, but I forgive it because the speedboat was so epic.
  • George is drinking the haterade.
    Meh, you can exaggerate what I said if you like. I loved the show. I was just commenting on how this season didn't lead into the next one.
  • More like BROlok, amirite?
  • Well, I have to say that I called it.
    Amon was a bloodbender and used bloodbending to block other bending arts.
  • I don't know. Part of what made the original Avatar excellent is that it had a goal, an ending that it was always driving towards. This had that too, but now it seems like there's nothing as strong driving the show. We'll see.
    That's my feeling as well. Half the season didn't really explore the plot or characters. You know, "show, not tell".
    Holy shit.
    I was fairly certain Amon either was a bender or came from a bending-centric family, but I didn't see the Tarrlock connection coming. That was awesome. I was hoping they wouldn't give Korra her bending back and leave everything bittersweet, but I forgive it because the speedboat was so epic.
    I had suspicions when Tarlock expressed such distaste being compared to Amon.
  • edited June 2012
    I had suspicions when Tarlock expressed such distaste being compared to Amon.
    But Tarlok didn't even know Amon was his brother until he got captured.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I had suspicions when Tarlock expressed such distaste being compared to Amon.
    But Tarlok didn't even know Amon was his brother until he got captured.
    That's right, I forgot. Hm. I guess foreshadowing would be beyond this show.
  • Oh god that speedboat scene. That really caught me off guard. I was like "okay he's going to stun Amon- wait, is that the gas tank? Holy shit, whoa Tarlok!" And when Zuko General Iroh blew up all the bombs in that plane. Sweet. And we'll have General Bumi to look forward to next season.
    The most feels, though, came when Korra restored Lin's bending. Lin is my favorite character. However, no fucks were given when Mako and Korra became a couple. I actually felt bad for Asami. Stupid prick Mako.

• Yeah... that was pretty awesome. Sucks to have had to wait two extra days for amazon to release it, but whatevs.
  • Mako is a prick.
  • Why are we lynching Mako cause he chose Korra over Asami? I mean it's not like he slept with Korra behind Asami's back.
  • He did kiss Korra when he and Asami were dating. And never told her about it. And was really insensitive besides that one, single moment in episode 11.