This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• He did kiss Korra when he and Asami were dating. And never told her about it. And was really insensitive besides that one, single moment in episode 11.
    He's a teenager. Teenagers fuck up.
  • He did kiss Korra when he and Asami were dating. And never told her about it. And was really insensitive besides that one, single moment in episode 11.
    ...That's not an excuse?
    Or how about, it doesn't make me like him better.

• edited June 2012
    He did kiss Korra when he and Asami were dating. And never told her about it. And was really insensitive besides that one, single moment in episode 11.
    ...That's not an excuse?

I just find it a bit unrealistic to dislike a guy for not expressing his feelings well or being good with people when he is a member of a group defined by those two qualities.

Also, he's a fucking orphan. Give the kid a break. He didn't have any parents to teach him that you should break up with the boring rich girl before you get with the exciting kickass superhero.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    ...That's not an excuse?

I just find it a bit unrealistic to dislike a guy for not expressing his feelings well or being good with people when he is a member of a group defined by those two qualities.
    Keeping that kind of a secret from someone that you say you "really care about" is deplorable regardless of your age, especially when it's just because you know telling them will hurt their feelings because you screwed up. If he'd been honest about it but still tried to be with Asami, I wouldn't dislike it so much. But Korra kisses him, he keeps it a secret, and then shows all of his affection to Korra and lets Asami figure the truth out herself.

• I see absolutely nothing about this that is inconsistent with how teenage boys behave all the time.

Look, you're supposed to recognize that they're kids, and they don't get this stuff, and they still have a lot of growing up to do. Mako being an insensitive jerk is just part of that. He's got issues, they'll probably become plot points, he'll probably grow out of them. Just like real kids.
  • That's totally inconsistent with the episode where they do actually kiss and Bolin is sad but by the end they're all super mature and bros about it.
  • I see absolutely nothing about this that is inconsistent with how teenage boys behave all the time.

Look, you're supposed to recognize that they're kids, and they don't get this stuff, and they still have a lot of growing up to do. Mako being an insensitive jerk is just part of that. He's got issues, they'll probably become plot points, he'll probably grow out of them. Just like real kids.
    But the show should show him doing something responsible about it, instead of expecting the audience to adopt a boys will be boys attitude. The cycle of insensitivity, immaturity, non-communication, and drama is repetitive and tiring, without any positive alternatives.

But the show should show him doing something responsible about it, instead of expecting the audience to adopt a boys will be boys attitude. The cycle of insensitivity, immaturity, non-communication, and drama is repetitive and tiring, without any positive alternatives.
    The only positive thing Mako does during the entire drama is apologize to Asami once, and she just takes it.

I can accept drama and the failings of characters if they grow passed it. Mako doesn't grow. He gets one beautiful girl, then just gets a free pass to ignore her and be with Korra. The love triangle there was unnecessary. We could've just had Korra and Mako have a few minor difficulties in getting together that WEREN'T a love triangle, and they could've finally realized everything in the end. 12 episodes is not a long time to string a romance along, I would've been fine with it.

Instead, Mako just kinda acts like a jerk, and the creators expect us to sympathize with him and make googly eyes at Makorra. I can't, because it's so forced.

• I want BoSami to happen. Or Asiroh.
  • I want Bolin with Asami, yeah.
  • edited June 2012
    I want Bolin with Asami, yeah.
    This would be nice. Maybe Bolin would make her loosen up a bit, too.
    He gets one beautiful girl, then just gets a free pass to ignore her and be with Korra.
    A beautiful smart and generous girl, willing to betray her father for her principles, willing to communicate with him about Korra if he'd be mature for one second and honestly communicate back. Not to mention, Mako has a doorknob of a personality, while Bolin is fun! Korra liking Mako smacks of the "girls like jerks" trope.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • That's totally inconsistent with the episode where they do actually kiss and Bolin is sad but by the end they're all super mature and bros about it.
    This is an angle I had not considered.

• edited June 2012
    Mako:

Also, was not expecting the speedboat scene.
    I thought this was supposed to be a family show! That was a fucking murder-suicide!

Anyways, so totally happy that Lin got her bending back, because she is the most badass adult. Really, the most badass character in that show.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Boat scene was totally the best. When Tarrlok looked over at that glove, I was like "It'd be neat if he totally murdered his brother with that thing and then committed suicide. But they didn't even have the balls to kill the Fire Lord, so that's never going to happen."

And then it did.

And so I was like "Man, the only thing that could possibly ruin this ending is if they just gave everyone their bending back, and then Mako got a happy ending somehow."
  • Damn, everyone is talking about this:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/25

I have to say, Gabe did a good job getting the eyebrows of Mako & Bolin.
  • I feel he nailed Bolin better.
  • Do do do do do do honor.
  • Significantly better ending.
  • Up to episode 30 on the original. So far it's some great stuff.
  • Me and JTVH finished Last Airbender -- her for the first time, me for the second. There's some things that watching it the second time are probably due to personal changes (favorite non-Iroh non-Appa character 1st time was Zuko, this time it was Toph), but despite my frightening nearly encyclopedic knowledge of the show's canon, a lot went right over my head the first time around.
  • Did anyone else gain +100 respect points for Mustache Lieutenant after the season finale episode? I really felt for that guy for a moment.
  • Did anyone else gain +100 respect points for Mustache Lieutenant after the season finale episode? I really felt for that guy for a moment.
    Yeah, the side characters got to really shine in this series. More so than the main characters even. Here's hoping for spin-off comics because there's still a lot of story to tell!
  • Depending on how the panel lines shake out, I may be going to the Legend of Korra panel at SDCC. It's in between the Community panel and the TRON Uprising panel followed by the Firefly panel. Fuck. I may be living in that room on Friday. >_<
  • edited July 2012
    Legend of Korra has been picked up for 26 more episodes. Yes, that's 26 episodes in addition to the 14 episodes already confirmed for season 2.
    Post edited by Sail on