This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• ...That's Iroh.
    Also, Tenzin's gotta be some old Flying type...Maybe a Pidgeot...
    D'oh. Definitely a flying type, but not Pidgeot, maybe a Noctowl or Xatu.
    Noctowl! That's good.

• You'll notice that Bolin is not a Ground or Rock type. This leads me to believe that the theme is based on early Red/Blue generation pokemon, rather than matching a type with the element of the bender. That said, Asami is obviously the Pikachu. You see how dispassionately she shocks the ever-living fuck out of people?

Tenzin as a Pidgey and Lin as a Geodude (perhaps daydreaming of Zubat-Toph) would be neat.
  • Tenzin's too old to be a Pidgey. He should be a Pidgeot. Or an Aerodactyl.
    Meelo would be a Farfetch'd, of course.
  • Tenzin's too old to be a Pidgey. He should be a Pidgeot. Or an Aerodactyl.
    Meelo would be a Farfetch'd, of course.
    No, Meelo would be that Pidgey that everyone had named Butt as so that you could make the joke about Butt using Gust.
  • edited June 2012
    And now we've returned to fart bending.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • And now we've returned to fart bending.
    And on that, what the fuck was that? How did three 3 punk kids best these fucking ninjas that have been giving the police and the main characters trouble?
  • Element of surprise + awesome.
  • And now we've returned to fart bending.
    And on that, what the fuck was that? How did three 3 punk kids best these fucking ninjas that have been giving the police and the main characters trouble?
    1. It was a small squad of ninjas compared to the usual group.

2. The kids had the element of surprise.

3. The kids were airbenders. There really aren't any other airbenders anywhere. Those ninjas haven't had to ever fight an airbender before (and notice that Tenzin is quite effective against them compared to the rest of the council for mostly the same reason).

• Aang was also an avatar, but even when he was just a relatively "normal" airbender at the beginning of the original series he was a pretty badass combatant. Honestly, I think there's a lot of evidence that kid benders can be the equals of most of their adult counterparts, with the exception of a select few masters.
  • I liked him better as moon sword guy. :P
  • That boomerang. I haven't read the comics yet, but I wonder if Sokka ever found that space rock sword. That was a really cool sword.
  • I liked how there was just an assumption that the meteor had the correct metal properties to make a sword out of.
  • I liked how there was just an assumption that the meteor had the correct metal properties to make a sword out of.
    Well that was after episode 39 (Book 2 episode 19), The Guru, where Toph discovers metal bending.

I think she could easily felt the properties of the meteor on whether or not it could have been proper for sword making. :P
  • Meteoric iron was a common source of metal for extremely ancient people in the real world. They couldn't make iron on their own, and it was thus very valuable.
  • Meteoric iron was a common source of metal for extremely ancient people in the real world. They couldn't make iron on their own, and it was thus very valuable.
    That sounds perfect...did you just make it up?
    That sounds perfect...did you just make it up?
    I'm not too sure about "not making iron of their own," since they still need to be able to smelt in order to use it. Iron has been around for a while.

And even when we had iron smithing, meteoric iron (or "thunderbolt" iron) was considered special or magical. There is some basis for the "special" nature of the stuff - meteoric iron is impure, and contains other metals. So if you smelt meteoric iron, you are de facto creating an alloy.

Or, in other words, meteoric iron was early steel.

• Carbon steel I bet.
  • Carbon steel I bet.
    Possibly, although nickel is pretty prevalent in meteorites.

• I had always thought/heard that the reason why meteorite iron was such a big deal in ancient times was that it was so difficult to find unoxidized iron in the Earth's crust. They had the capability back then to heat the iron hot enough to mold it into whatever shape the wanted, but they did not have the capability to basically get the iron out of the iron oxide ore.
  • Carbon steel I bet.
    Nickel is also prevalent in steel.
  • Carbon steel I bet.
    Nickel is also prevalent in steel.
    I thought it showed up in stainless more often than carbon.

Maybe they were making corrosion-resistant carbon steel. In an age of iron tools, that shit would've seemed like magic.

• edited June 2012
    I thought it showed up in stainless more often than carbon.

Maybe they were making corrosion-resistant carbon steel. In an age of iron tools, that shit would've seemed like magic.

It's been a while since I took materials science, but I believe chromium is typically one of the metals added to steel to make it stainless. Nickel is generally used as a hardener.

Edit: Okay, it is also used as part of stainless steel, so I was wrong.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Well, I think chromium and vanadium are common additives to stainless as well. Don't know if you find those in meteorites too.

Stupid science, taking all the fun mystical bullshit out of star metal.
  • Well, I think chromium and vanadium are common additives to stainless as well. Don't know if you find those in meteorites too.

Stupid science, taking all the fun mystical bullshit out of star metal.
    But science can't explain why the star metal can make the Serpent Men return to the Abyss! Er, wait, wrong show...
  • edited June 2012

Pretty much the reason I got into the show(s)
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Pretty much the reason I got into the show(s)
    Oh yeah, I just watched that one. Pretty good.

• Normally I'm a fan of the animal hybrids in the Avatar universe, but if you recall in the last episode in the scene where the Fire Nation councilwoman is about to leave her home, Amon's henchman poses as exterminators for Spider Rats.

We, of course, have yet to see an image of them, but NO. DO.NOT.WANT.
  • Normally I'm a fan of the animal hybrids in the Avatar universe, but if you recall in the last episode in the scene where the Fire Nation councilwoman is about to leave her home, Amon's henchman poses as exterminators for Spider Rats.

We, of course, have yet to see an image of them, but NO. DO.NOT.WANT.
    When they said Platypus Bear, I thought they were having a joke. Nope. I lol'ed.

Spider rats, though? Eh, should be interesting to see.

• Do the non-hybrid animals exist in the Avatar universe? If they don't, then it's really weird that they'd call them hybrid names like that.