This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pet Photos

Comments

• The "cute detection" area of my brain just overloaded and blew up, ala a control panel in Star Trek.
  • Damn this is definitely a cat forum! I've always preferred cats myself but unfortunately both my mother and wife are allergic, so I've never had a chance to own one (not trying to dredge up the whole allergy shot debate here). I've learned to love my dog though. I'll have to get more pics of her up here to balance things out!
  • Damn this is definitely a cat forum! I've always preferred cats myself but unfortunately both my mother and wife are allergic, so I've never had a chance to own one (not trying to dredge up the whole allergy shot debate here). I've learned to love my dog though. I'll have to get more pics of her up here to balance things out!
    Dogs are better anyway. :)
  • edited December 2010
    If the part of your brain that deals with liking animals has been permanently damaged, it might seem that way. Cats rule.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If the part of your brain that deals with liking animals has been permanently damaged, it might seem that way. Cats rule.
    Toxoplasmosis.
  • Today's tangent is brought to you by the letter T.
  • If the part of your brain that deals with liking animals has been permanently damaged, it might seem that way. Cats rule.
    If I had a larger home space I would want a dog.

I was a huge dog advocate for my youth because that's all I had. I never really understood cats, they always seemed too moody vs the unconditional love that dogs gave.

Then I met my boyfriend who had two cats. One day I was in bed and his tabby, Jo, walks on me and then does his supercharged bonk to the face. I then realized that cats are pretty awesome. Since then, I obtained my super spoiled princess Digit and lil' monster Rorschach and have been happy.

One day, I will own a Welsh Corgi. One day.
  • I never understood the cats vs. dogs thing. You can like both, but for different reasons. I think it has a lot to do with what you were exposed to growing up. My extended family had both lovely cats and lovely dogs and I appreciated them both. If you form a close bond with a member of a species, I think you will view that species as a whole fairly favorably. That's why Rym is a super dog person, and I am obsessed with rabbits. I like my sister's cat and my Aunt's dogs. All animals = hooray!
  • Today's tangent is brought to you by the letter T.
    Heeheehee. But it's just so tempting... the reaction is so predictable.

I like kitties a whole bunch. I also like puppies. I just happen to be allergic to kitties. However, I still play with them when I go visit houses where they live. I just have to take Claritin and wash up afterward. For my home, I would most likely have to stick with dogs over cats, unless I had a farmhouse with barn cats. I am fundamentally against letting domestic cats be outdoor pets though, so I would have to see. I am definitely getting a dog when I get out of school.

I also want goats, yard chickens, and angora rabbits. But those can wait.
  • I also want goats, yard chickens, and angora rabbits. But those can wait.
    Yard chickens are cute and give good eggs and goats mow the lawn. (You could get an angora goat, too!) I warn you, though, I will be wanting to come over all the time to groom the puff-ball rabbits.
    Also, you should get alpacas someday. They are the cutest.
  • Yard chickens are cute and give good eggs and goats mow the lawn. (You could get an angora goat, too!) I warn you, though, I will be wanting to come over all the time to groom the puff-ball rabbits.
    Also, you should get alpacas someday. They are the cutest.
    Endless yarn supply. Do eet.
  • I'm a cat person, but only because dogs are too high maintenance. I love dogs, though, because they are just so cute and hugable and they are just FULL of love and they get SO EXCITED when you play with them. ^_^ My cats could give a damn if I play with them or not (unless they want to be played with). <___<
  • Exactly, dogs and cats are both awesome for different reasons. Dogs are better at the unconditional love and attention. My dog looks like she is going to piss herself she is so happy that may car pulled up to the house. Cats are better for the amusement. My dog is quite set in her routine when we're not directly interacting, but cats can be crazy unpredicable and fun to watch. It just comes down to what you want in an animal as to whether you should one one, the other, or both.
  • I am definitely getting a dog when I get out of school.

No, you're getting a job when you get out of school. Then we're finding a place to live. Then we can think about the best way to fit a dog into our life. Then we get the dog. I've got a plan here.

Also, I think the order should be: dog, child(ren), move to a got-damn farm, chickens, angora rabbits, goat.
  • I'm a cat person, but only because dogs are too high maintenance.
    My dog is wonderfully behaved, but we are convinced that a major factor in that is our strict routine of two 15 minute walks per day to keep her from being all cooped up (we have a very small yard). This part of the pet maintenance is something to both love and hate. One one hand, it's friggin' cold out, to the point where I quickly learned that it's ok to walk around looking like a serial killer with a full ski mask and hood on. It's also a decent chunk of the day, and time is precious. However, 30 minutes of brisk walking keeps me on a bare minimum routine of daily exercise, and also serves as podcast listening time, so it is not totally wasted.
  • No, you're getting ajobwhen you get out of school. Then we're finding a place to live.Thenwe canthinkabout the best way to fit a dog into our life.Thenwe get the dog. I've got a plan here.

Also, I think the order should be: dog, child(ren), move to a got-damn farm, chickens, angora rabbits, goat.
    Screw your plan, I want more Nuri yarn.
  • dog, child(ren), move to a got-damn farm, chickens, angora rabbits, goat.
    actually isn't it "better" to have children then dog in some cases due to dogs acting erratic around babies sometimes?
  • edited December 2010
    No, you're getting ajobwhen you get out of school.
    My sister-in-law is a bit crazy and keeps coming to the brink of buying a dog. She is still a junior in college and splits her time between NJ and FL. Add in the financial cost of a dog (over the course of two years my 65 pound dog has averaged close to $80 per month) and the fact she is broke, and this is a recurring horrible idea that we continuously must talk her out of.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • actually isn't it "better" to have children then dog in some cases due to dogs acting erratic around babies sometimes?
    Get the dog first. If you can keep the dog fed, you can probably handle children. If you forget to feed the dog and it dies, you probably shouldn't have children. Also, it's a good way to learn to plan your schedules around the needs of another living thing without the risk of, y'know, child protective services.
    I don't think that will ever be a problem. :P
  • edited January 2011
    I don't think that will ever be a problem. :P
    Good. Plus you are a good influence on her better judgement.

Actual proof:
    http://i.imgur.com/THkXf.jpg
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Get the dog first. If you can keep the dog fed, you can probably handle children. If you forget to feed the dog and it dies, you probably shouldn't have children
    I think if that's even a issue of concern you probably shouldn't even think of getting a dog honestly......
  • I think if that's even a issue of concern you probably shouldn't even think of getting a dog honestly......
    It's not necessarily an issue, but if you're going to get both, you might as well get them in the order that would give you that information. That's what research is all about!
  • edited December 2010
    Also, I think the order should be: angora rabbits, angora rabbits, angora rabbits, dog, child(ren), move to a got-damn farm, chickens, goat.
    FTFY.
    I kid. Not everyone's priorities are Emily Priorities.

Edit: Also, I think most dogs are fine with kids. Rym tells me great stories about being little with his dogs. I would get dog first, (Which is .5 kid), then maybe have kid, and then expand your farm as you see fit.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I agree. There can be problems bringing a baby home to your dog, but this is mostly if the dog has not been trained properly in the first place (in which case you shouldn't have had the kid!). These are situations where the dog is actually running the house, and the humans respond to the dogs commands and wishes. When the dog is leader of the pack, it could feel threatened by the new addition. If that is the case, I recommend having Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson come over your house to tell the pooch "know your role, and shut your mouth":

• I am definitely getting a dog when I get out of school.

No, you're getting ajobwhen you get out of school. Then we're finding a place to live.Thenwe canthinkabout the best way to fit a dog into our life.Thenwe get the dog. I've got a plan here.

Eff you, I am getting a dog. Obviously a job and a place to live are requisite.

Also, Em, I can't do mohair. It makes me itchy. :(
  • Wait... I get satellite on this thing, Mom?
  • Rorschach discovers that we have the wooden wind chime we got from Hawaii. We quickly moved the table away after. Sorry for the crappy quality, but my cell phone sucks.

• My cats really love my computer chair. They love it so much they spread the love to hugging eachother.

• OMG, you bought a panda pet pillow?