This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computers and names. What do you call yours?

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
So, after giving my mini opinion about how one could partition his or her hard drives I wondered, "are there others as crazy as me to make 8 Windows partitions? And name them?"

So that's my question to you people. What is/are the name(s) of your computer(s) and/or [insert nameable part of computer].
I'll start, of course.

Computer:
Ronin - Ubuntu asked for a computer name, and I had no idea and didn't feel putting 'Nine' there. So I thought and came up with nope. So I thought harder and typed in Ronin, and hit enter, and then remembered that's the name I use to address a friend online. Meh, it was filled in, and I filled it in again when I reinstalled Ubuntu in my xxxx-newbie days.
Nine - Same computer, only now running XP.

Hard drive 1: *tries from the top of his head*
1: Enki
2: Heros
3: Laran
4: Mímir
5: Meni
6: Tages
7: Tinia
8: Vili
I wanted to be able to easily identify which partition was which drive letter between Windows and Ubuntu. Thus I went to Wikipedia and came up with the lame clichéd idea of using god names. :D So I started searching through the lists of gods and deities and handpicked these 8. I tried to theme it a bit with "Hmmmm, perhaps gods of knowledge" but there weren't enough gods and godesses of knowledge which pleased me. So that just sucked. But I have 8 names now and am able to easily identify which is which when using Ubuntu or XP and can easily find stuff back. Also, alphabetized = win. Results in Linux listing them the same as Windows.

Hard drive 2: 500 gig monster <3
nameless swap
nameless Ubuntu partition
1 or 2 nameless unused partitions for fiddling with distros. I want to try Linux From Scratch on one, but I think that's a bit too farfetched atm.
4 HUUUUGE 100 GiB partitions, in order. Gienah, Marfak, Segin and Talitha.
Gienah = video. I store all my anime here, it's filled for 80-ish %. Yes, I have a lot unwatched in there, the majority is even from the 160gig hard drive, which is really really full. I should hurry with moving data over and clean the Windows drive.
Marfak = images/sound. Just put my "My Images" folder here, it also has my little music collection and all the episodes of Geeknights, some of Fast Karate, 1 AWO, all of 40 gamer and FNPL and *think* oh yes, scanlations, a few comics, a few audiobooks and some Linux distro images.
Segin and Talitha have yet to be used, but were a great help in resizing these four big partitions to fit those two small unused partitions at the front of the HD.

Yes I'm insane, leave us be, and tell us about your time wasted naming stuff.

Comments

• I have no control over my computers' names, as they are all family computers. However, I named my iPod Tethys. I like the name. ^_^
  • Lets see I have:
    Lynn
    Paige
    Inwee
    Dagon
    Cthulhu
    Cthulla
    Jinned

I know I have others but they're afew hundered km away at the moment
  • I'm extremely creative in my naming scheme: My regular PC is NumberOne, my laptop is NumberTwo and my gaming rig is NumberThree.
  • My laptop is named Faye and my desktop is named Julia [should be pretty obvious where I got the names]. My iPod however, is named Calliope as a reference to Sandman and his wife, one of the muses.
  • My Laptop's name is KingKittan and my Desktop's name is Chouginga.
  • My computer's name is Colonel Aardvark Fireball and my iPod's name is Admiral Wolverine Lightening Bolt.
  • My laptop at the moment is Squirtle and my old desktop Charizard. I change them every few months, and clearly the last time I changed them was during the pogeyman obsession.
  • My desktop is named Nyamo, with my hard drives being named:
    Chiyo
    Tomo
    Osaka
    Kaorin
    Chihiro

My router and laptop round out the theme by being named Yukari and Kagura respectively.
  • The only thing I have named right now is my iPod, which is called "Quaid Mk. II" per my friend's suggestion.

..Oh yeah, and a jump drive that I often use is called Phoenix simply because it is attached to a Phoenix Wright plush keychain I got for preordering Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations.
    Chouginga Dai-Gurren?

My old laptop is Excel, my new laptop is Hoshiko, and I haven't thought of a name for my Pocket PC yet, other than... "Pocket PC".
    Chouginga Dai-Gurren?
    Yes, yes. Honestly, I don't know why Geeknights or Fast Karate haven't reviewed that anime yet.
  • Makes me sad I haven't thought of a fitting name for my computer... It's my first one all to myself. I love it so! But as I sit here, staring at it, I really don't know what to call it. Unlike my dog, I didn't think of several names in advance that I whittled down to one... I have a feeling that, when I finally choose, it'll be from Redwall, Megaman, or Digimon...
  • edited November 2007
    My current laptop is named Camros, after a bird in Persian mythology which perches atop the Tree of Life. Can't go wrong with mythological names for computers!

On the other hand, the ID name for my Wii is Lt Cmdr. Data. :P
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • None of the computers I typically use are mine, but each one, I had a hand in naming
    Desktop = Odin
    Server (home network)= Valhalla
    Laptop = Lance's Laptop (my father's, and the exception)
  • My naming schemes have varied all over the map in the past. Right now my main Windows box is Wintermute, my laptop is Neuromancer, and my Linux box is HALNineK. I guess I've got a soft spot in my heart for computers from Sci-Fi and fantasy books, although previous naming schemes I've used included names of Transformers characters as well as ships from Star Trek.
  • Having a laptop means I don't get the luxury of having enough partitions to need names. Laptop is called Mobile-Panda and when I build a home server it will probably be called Mnementh.
  • edited November 2007
    My laptop is called "Grampa" I dunno what my PC is called any more since I rarely use it any more.

@Kiey: Why no "Sakaki" ?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Wow, those are awesome! And I laughed a bit too hard about NumberOne, NumberTwo and NumberThree. But oh yes, iPod's have names too *hits forehead* poor nano, forgot it. Then again, it's just the standard iTunes suggested name when I restored it the last time. So Nine's iPod or something like that. And my 1 gig USB stick is called disk. I have really no idea why Ubuntu is calling it a disk. It's a stick, nothing disky in it at all.

*wanders away thinking of new names for his nano and usb stick.*
  • I just renamed the disk partitions on my laptop. They were "creatively" called ACER (Win and Programs) Daten (german for data) and Finishline (where I keep pretty much all anime, movies, games etc. that I haven't watched yet and can delete at any time because I have backup). Now their names are Asagi, Fuuka and Ena.
  • edited November 2007
    My hard drive is always called "Jesus's hard drive"
    Any time software asked for my...
    Name:Rex-smyth-higgens the 13th of Ascabar, formally known as the Prince of... (This usually changes to fit the moment, if it actually fits.)
    company's name: "Elite Ninja Squadren 8"
    It isn't much, but they are great inside jokes from back in my middle school days.
    I think I need to think of geekier names for my future computers. These are all old names I thought of when I first got into computers... when I was 10.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • My ipod is named Shiva.

Ah the irony.
  • The beginning of my last name is "Mur" so I just go with MurDesk01 and MurLap01 etc...makes it very easy to connect to the desired computer on my network.

Murdesk01-03 and Murlap01-03. I have way too many computers...
  • I've named my computer and portable electronics after various cylon models.
  • My sons like Thomas the Tank Engine so we have:
    My Laptop - Edward
    Wife's Laptop - Henry
    Desktop - James
    MythTV - Percy

I always have a folder in My Documents and Favorites called "Secret Ninja Moves" even at work. People comment on that when I host conference call and share my desktop/IE.
  • edited November 2007
    My Laptop - Edward
    Wife's Laptop - Henry
    Desktop - James
    MythTV - Percy
    100% Pure Triple Distilled WIN!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • "Amishland" plus some number indicating which iteration of "Amishland" it is. I'm currently on Amishland4.
  • I could have swore there was a thread like this before.
  • I'm another fan of the mythological naming schemes:

Desktop - dermawend
    (Windows system drive is Osiris, applications/data drive is Amenti)
    Laptop - midgard
    Ipod - thoth
  • My parents set up my computer, so I didn't have much of a choice. I've four partitions, imaginatively named:
    System
    Data
    Swap
    Unnamed partition intended for Linux

The computer itself is named Pooka, but I usually just call it Computer. Or, more often: "!@#$ COMPUTER!"