This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computers and names. What do you call yours?

1235»

Comments

• Just named my new PC: "MegaZord."
    Is it a cluster of 5 smaller computers?
  • Buddy of mine and I just rebuilt a computer in his old Alienware case. We decided to name it GroomLake.
  • edited July 2010
    Just named my new PC: "MegaZord."
    Is it a cluster of 5 smaller computers?
    Might as well be, it's freakin' huge.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • edited July 2010
    I'm going to be getting my own mini-datacenter at my job soon, so I'm gonna have to get some names for those fuckers. I say "mini" because there are going to be only 7 to 9 computers. Suggestions?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    edited August 2010
    What kind of theme do you want?

You could call them 'Monday', 'Tuesday', 'Wednesday', 'Thursday', 'Friday', and the rest 'Weekend'. Works best with 4 day weekends.
    EDIT: Or you could go with:
    All of my computers are named Spartacus.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm going to be getting my own mini-datacenter at my job soon, so I'm gonna have to get some names for those fuckers. I say "mini" because there are going to be only 7 to 9 computers. Suggestions?
    Computer 1: Ash
    Computers 2-7: Geodude
  • My Desktop is called Ninja, because I built it to work silently in the night and it's got a black case. I came up with the name when I replaced the annoyingly loud hard drives in that box. That was when my naming theme started.
    I named my Thinkpad Fury, because it was a roaring beast when I got it. Now it's not that much of a beast anymore, but it's still roaring, although I replaced the fan recently.
    My iPod was called SidIcarus, but it crashed (on the floor, hard) and got replaced by a standard MP3-player with no name.
    My first smartphone was called Kaori, my current smartphone is OkiKuma.
    My Wii is SuperSteve, and my Xbox is Nemesis.
    The old server in our apartment was called Undead, but it got replaced by Reanimator.
  • My Desktop is called Ninja, because I built it to work silently in the night and it's got a black case. I came up with the name when I replaced the annoyingly loud hard drives in that box. That was when my naming theme started.
    I named my Thinkpad Fury, because it was a roaring beast when I got it. Now it's not that much of a beast anymore, but it's still roaring, although I replaced the fan recently.
    My iPod was called SidIcarus, but it crashed (on the floor, hard) and got replaced by a standard MP3-player with no name.
    My first smartphone was called Kaori, my current smartphone is OkiKuma.
    My Wii is SuperSteve, and my Xbox is Nemesis.
    The old server in our apartment was called Undead, but it got replaced by Reanimator.
    Cool, and welcome to the forums.
    I'm going to be getting my own mini-datacenter at my job soon, so I'm gonna have to get some names for those fuckers. I say "mini" because there are going to be only 7 to 9 computers. Suggestions?
    Computer 1: Ash
    Computers 2-7: Geodude
    6 Geodudes...Can't lose.
  • I use the names of the alien species from halo. Also related http://serverfault.com/questions/17274/naming-conventions
  • Baddies from the original Legend of Zelda.
  • My netbook is now called Luxury Yacht but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • One of my coworkers suggested I use names of anime girls for the processing units and my name for the controller unit.

In other words, he wants me to start a harem.
  • Wiped HD on laptop, installed the ultrasexy Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. The do-everything thin-n-light is now known as "Use of Weapons," continuing my Culture Mind naming scheme.

I really, really like the fact that an IM client and email are integrated into the OS.
  • Desktop's name is Sammy after the android Sammy in Time of Eve. Laptop named Emanon from Memories of Emanon.
  • In other words, he wants me to start a harem.
    In that case, look up Negima. From what I know that guy has an entire classroom of girls. Not to mention, his new series where he has a snowgirl that desperately want to bone him.
  • My netbook is now called Luxury Yacht but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove
    Awesome Monty Python reference :)